Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   TOF's (The Over Fifty's) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Loose skin issues (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462446)

jmh6251 Sun, Sep-07-14 12:47

Loose skin issues

Now that I have lost a significant amount on my tummy, thighs, and arms I have noticed a bunch of loose skin. I wonder if it will tighten up in time :q: :idea:

jmh6251 Mon, Sep-08-14 21:11

I have measured the loose skin, I think i would actually be in a smaller size if my skin would tighten up

JAnn Tue, Sep-09-14 09:38

At over 50, I have to wonder the same thing. My arms are getting flabby and the only hope I can see is to build up muscle to replace the fat loss.

Nancy LC Tue, Sep-09-14 13:31

Yeah... I have no idea. Dealing with the flabby arms myself. Those just showed up over night, it seems like!

jmh6251 Tue, Sep-09-14 17:35

Well I guess, the loose skin on my stomach and thighs can be covered up, maybe I will have to do the same with the arms.

Maori Tue, Sep-09-14 20:12

i treat mine as battle scars but mine are easily covered.

LilyB Tue, Sep-09-14 21:46

Dry brushing techniques?

leemack Wed, Sep-10-14 06:23

also cocoa butter is supposed to be good for loose skin - not sure how well it works - meant to be best in combination with dry brushing.

jmh6251 Wed, Sep-10-14 08:05

I make my own bath soap and use Coconut Milk, I wonder if it does the same thing? So far no skin tightening LOL

Judynyc Wed, Sep-10-14 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
I make my own bath soap and use Coconut Milk, I wonder if it does the same thing? So far no skin tightening LOL

In my experience, due to my age and amount of weight lost, I don't expect to see my skin tighten unless I go for surgery. I waited the 1-2 yrs after and it never did happen.
If I could afford to have surgery, I'd do it in a heart beat. I try to dress accordingly and also work on not obsessing about it. :daze: :lol:

Luckyk26 Wed, Sep-10-14 09:24

I have this problem too. I still see some tightening, but being heavy my entire life I'm not holding much hope for it. I've already researched surgeries and once I hit goal and maintain for awhile I'm definitely doing it - don't care what it costs - I've earned it!

lovinita Wed, Sep-10-14 09:41

Right now I been loosing my weight for about 1.5 years. And alot of it. For me it won't come back with out surgery.

What is starting to happen, I guess it is more like the skin is deflated and becoming more flattened but it doesn't go back to a normal size. But it will always be hanging, loose ect...

Judynyc Wed, Sep-10-14 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinita
Right now I been loosing my weight for about 1.5 years. And alot of it. For me it won't come back with out surgery.

What is starting to happen, I guess it is more like the skin is deflated and becoming more flattened but it doesn't go back to a normal size. But it will always be hanging, loose ect...

Your surgery may be covered by insurance due to its being a health issue. :idea:

jmh6251 Thu, Sep-11-14 08:04

I hate to go under the knife, and it looks like I may lose health insurance coverage for awhile until I can get medicare, so I guess I will have to live with mine. (LOL)

Desert Mo Sun, Sep-20-15 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
At over 50, I have to wonder the same thing. My arms are getting flabby and the only hope I can see is to build up muscle to replace the fat loss.

I agree. After a certain age (don't know which one) the skin doesn't snap back with weight loss. Skin gets flabby with wt loss, but most of the areas where there's flab there's also muscle. I read somewhere that after age 50, people lose a certain % of muscle tissue regularly, so if the sort of exercise one is doing isn't working to develop some muscle tone in thighs & upper arms & (yes) the abs, then it's gonna be droop city by the time you're my age (70). Doesn't mean there won't still be some flabbiness, just less of it than there'd be without persistent exercise of the sort that develops muscle tone. ~~ mo

bluesinger Sun, Sep-20-15 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Mo
I agree. After a certain age (don't know which one) the skin doesn't snap back with weight loss. Skin gets flabby with wt loss, but most of the areas where there's flab there's also muscle. I read somewhere that after age 50, people lose a certain % of muscle tissue regularly, so if the sort of exercise one is doing isn't working to develop some muscle tone in thighs & upper arms & (yes) the abs, then it's gonna be droop city by the time you're my age (70). Doesn't mean there won't still be some flabbiness, just less of it than there'd be without persistent exercise of the sort that develops muscle tone. ~~ mo
Mo,
As you know, I'm your age. The strange thing is that the skin on my body is still resilient with no looseness or folds. It's just the arms that worry me, and not just what I call my "wing flaps." Now the skin between the elbow and the wrist looks sort of like drifting sand. I definitely have to go back to the gym and spend some time growing muscles under there.

Judynyc Sun, Sep-20-15 18:15

FYI- when those of us in the TDC loose more than 100 lbs, the loose skin issue is very much of an issue. You ladies(bluesinger and Desert Mo) are not in the same category. :)

MickiSue Mon, Sep-21-15 08:35

I am really noticing the skin on my arms getting loose. And, as I change shape, as well as lose weight, the skin on my thighs, as well. I've always had larger legs--from my dad's side of the family. I remember, in my 30's, seeing my aunts and being horrified to think that I would have legs like them someday. Yup. I do.

Something happened this summer, though, to make me feel better about it all. The Senior Games were held here in the Twin Cities, and for two weeks, there were photos of men and women in the 60's to 80's, proudly smiling, wearing medals for their athletic achievements. ALL of them were sagging, somewhere or another.

And I realized that, while it would be ideal to have firm skin, like I did in my youth, if I am going to live healthy and happy into my 90's, as I plan, the healthy part is more important than the saggy/non saggy part. And I can deal with saggy, if I stay healthy.

cotonpal Mon, Sep-21-15 08:58

At age 66 and 107 lbs down I have a fair amount of loose skin, belly, thighs, upper arms, but not enough to really get in the way, just enough to look ugly. Luckily I can live my life dressing so that the looseness remains hidden and not too many people ever see me naked, so I don't worry about it.

Jean

Jean

ojoj Mon, Sep-21-15 11:09

I've given up worrying. I had a tummy tuck a few years ago so that isnt too bad, but my thighs and upper arms... and my face, neck, butt.... I'm over 50 and I'm never gonna have the body of an 18 year old. Sadly, its just part of aging and losing weight has simply made the wrinkles worse - serves me right I guess! At least I can cover the body

Jo xxx

jmh6251 Mon, Sep-21-15 12:47

None of us have skin that young, or elasticity. Oh but a girl can dream: (LOL)

JEY100 Fri, Jul-15-16 04:11

Butter Bob Briggs has added a new video about his loose skin...and he keeps it in perspective. Watch if you need a visual and his simple philosophy about it: https://youtu.be/SZBCAR95QYI

Just Jo Fri, Jul-15-16 04:49

Oh my GOD, that was terrific Janet! Thanks for sharing the link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
FYI- when those of us in the TDC loose more than 100 lbs, the loose skin issue is very much of an issue. You ladies (bluesinger and Desert Mo) are not in the same category. :)
I can't agree more! :thup:

I have loose skin too exactly like Bob showed. Like he says, it's part of life and a matter of perspective!

Seriously, I'd rather have my loose skin that I can hide under regular length shorts and a tank top then have all the fat I had before...

And I have no desire to have surgery to remove it... actually it's all out-of-pocket b/c my insurance wouldn't cover it.

At my age, it's all good b/c I look way better than most of my peers! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just ask me! :D

cotonpal Fri, Jul-15-16 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Oh my GOD, that was terrific Janet! Thanks for sharing the linkI can't agree more! :thup:

I have loose skin too exactly like Bob showed. Like he says, it's part of life and a matter of perspective!

Seriously, I'd rather have my loose skin that I can hide under regular length shorts and a tank top then have all the fat I had before...

And I have no desire to have surgery to remove it... actually it's all out-of-pocket b/c my insurance wouldn't cover it.

At my age, it's all good b/c I look way better than most of my peers! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just ask me! :D

I watched the video and agree with Bob. You just have to keep perspective.

Of course I also agree with Jo. I wear regular length shorts and no crop tops exposing my saggy midriff. There's a bit of extra thigh stuff going on slightly below the end of my walking shorts and a bit of upper arm flappiness at the bottom of my short sleeve shirts and t-shirts, but so be it. I'm OK with it.. Not only is surgery expensive and not covered by insurance, it's also dangerous. I lost weight not just to look better but to be healthier. Why risk that with surgery?

I have seen pictures of people with so much loose skin that it may pose significant problems that go beyond looks. That would be a different story.

Jean

Just Jo Fri, Jul-15-16 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I watched the video and agree with Bob. You just have to keep perspective.

Of course I also agree with Jo. I wear regular length shorts and no crop tops exposing my saggy midriff. There's a bit of extra thigh stuff going on slightly below the end of my walking shorts and a bit of upper arm flappiness at the bottom of my short sleeve shirts and t-shirts, but so be it. I'm OK with it.. Not only is surgery expensive and not covered by insurance, it's also dangerous. I lost weight not just to look better but to be healthier. Why risk that with surgery?

I have seen pictures of people with so much loose skin that it may pose significant problems that go beyond looks. That would be a different story.

Jean
Yep the dangerous aspect of the surgery is a big concern of mine as well!

Did you ever hear this podcast that was shared on another thread...

“Tell me I’m Fat” Lindy West accepting her weight & Elna Baker 110 lbs weight loss:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad.../tell-me-im-fat

The part about Elna and her surgery to remove loose skin after her weight loss was truly eye-opening and that really convinced me that if I had the $$$ (win the lotto???) I still wouldn't do it!

cotonpal Fri, Jul-15-16 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Yep the dangerous aspect of the surgery is a big concern of mine as well!

Did you ever hear this podcast that was shared on another thread...

“Tell me I’m Fat” Lindy West accepting her weight & Elna Baker 110 lbs weight loss:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad.../tell-me-im-fat

The part about Elna and her surgery to remove loose skin after her weight loss was truly eye-opening and that really convinced me that if I had the $$$ (win the lotto???) I still wouldn't do it!

I did listen to that, Jo, and if I had ever considered surgery that would convince me not to do it. I just mentioned casually to me doctor at my annual check-up that I wished I didn't have all this loose skin. Her response was that surgery was dangerous. I told her that I had no intention of going that route. I would be happier without it but so be it. It's really not a problem for me accept in my own mind so better to just accept it and get on with life.

Jean

MickiSue Fri, Jul-15-16 07:54

The point at which the abdominal skin hanging over the belly creates a growth area for fungus is the point where I'd have a tummy tuck.

Because then it's long term danger VS short term.

And you can sure bet that I'd agitate for coverage, if I had that issue!

Mousesmom Fri, Jul-15-16 12:04

I watched Bob's video. I loved all of his videos and re-watch them from time to time.

His candor is awesome..... I don't have the guts (or the money :lol: ) to get rid of my extra skin..... so I guess I will keep my clothes on ROFLOL :D .......

I knew when I started this journey that I'd probably never have washboard abs or perfect thighs and I accepted that fact. As he said, I'd rather have the extra skin that the extra fat.