Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   LC Language Differences (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=45598)

fiona Fri, May-24-02 23:28

LC Language Differences

It will be useful to have a special thread about LC words that people find confusing either side of the ocean. This first post is a summary of all the posts that follow.

LINKS :
Converter - cups, weights etc where you can key in the type of food e.g. flour, veg etc. and it converts it to cups, weights or whatever you want.

A - Z Hindi to English Indian Food Reference Guide & Glossary, alphabetical! A joy to my persnickety heart Indian Spice Guide

Check out THIS Canadian University (that would be McGill, in Montreal) document giving detailed info on International terms:
International terms/measures and even finer detail re dairy products!

Weights & Measures Imperial/US/Metric (UK) Liquids A useful Imperial to 'American' (and volume to mass/weight, etc.) conversions page, perfect for us Commonwealth and/or 'Colonial' types... as well as you 'Mother Country' types... Weights & Measures Conversions & Translations

WORDS MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER :

UK = ................ America .......... ~ India

Aubergine = Eggplant ~ Wainga (Waigan)
Corriander = Cilantro ~ Hara Dhania/Taazi Dhania
Courgette = Zucchini ~
Double Cream = Heavy Cream (see Summary post on page 2)
Fenugreek Seeds = Fenugreek..? ~ Methi Daana
No equiv = Half & Half (see Summary post on page 2)
Linseeds/oil = Flax seeds/Flax oil
Mangetout = Snowpeas ~ Matar
Swede = Rutabaga

Take care.

{Part of the original post - which I have amended } For those of you who are baffled by how one measures half and three quarter cups, you get complete sets of measuring cups that give you these measures across the pond. We don't have things like that here. I found that no two sets of measuring sets would give you exactly the same amount. Take care. }

Karen Sat, May-25-02 00:20

I'll turn this into a "sticky" so more can be added as stuff comes up.

Mangetout = Snowpeas
Courgette = Zucchini
Aubergine = Eggplant

I know dhania as coriander seed. Is it the same name for the plant?

Karen

jaykay Sat, May-25-02 02:20

cups and measuring

the cups thing confused me with the US recipes. Then I bought a breadmaker (thought I'd make protein bread, made it then thought i wouldn't bother anymore!) and it came with a cup measure. It seems I cup is 8 fluid ounces (ie half a pint) or about 250ml in volume. Is that right? If it is, you can buy things from Boots that measure out volumes, for making baby bottles or wine.

CHRIS BRAY Sat, May-25-02 05:40

In your cups!!!!

In your cups many years ago in the UK had a totally different meaning, drunk or tipsy....

But seriously regarding the cup measurement, I have a new pen friend in the USA courtesy of lowcarbUK.com and she says a cup of veggies weighs 8oz approx

Is this correct or am I cramming far too many vegtables into a cup :q:

fiona Sat, May-25-02 08:14

Sticky: Good Idea, Karen

Quote:
Karen: I know dhania as coriander seed. Is it the same name for the plant?

dhania is corriander.

You'd normally distinguish anything in seed form by adding "daana" to it. "Taazi" for fresh (meaning, plant) form.

You can have dhania daana, methi daana etc.

Taazi dhania, taazi methi and so on. In some Eastern shops you are spoilt for choice and can get lots of seeds in plant (or sprout) form.

Then there is the powder variety. Do you know I haven't used the hindi word for that for so long that I can't remember it now. In the UK most shopkeepers will understand "powder".

Aubergine = Eggplant = Waingan

Good thinking to make the thread a Sticky, Karen.

Take care.

Karen Sat, May-25-02 08:19

We had a discussion on this very thing quite a while ago. The link is here:

Measuring veggies - HELP

Karen

CHRIS BRAY Sat, May-25-02 12:17

When an ounce is not an oz....

Thanks Karen for pointing me in the right direction.
The USA ounce is a liquid measurement :agree:

I wondered why (on induction)we could have 8oz of salad and only 4oz cooked veg.

The best :idea: would be to measure veggies in a pyrex jug this has the liquid measurement on it, saves investing in cups. :thup:

Karen Sat, May-25-02 14:12

Quote:
The USA ounce is a liquid measurement

It is both a liquid and a weight measurement, just like anywhere else in the world that uses the Imperial system.

Karen

Boogie65 Sun, May-26-02 03:17

Cups

Hi there

I found a dinky set of measuring cups in Tesco about a year back. They're like little plastic saucepans and come in 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup. They only cost me about £2.00

Also, there's a good converter at http://cuisinedumonde.hypermart.net/convert.html where you can key in the type of food e.g. flour, veg etc. and it converts it to cups, weights or whatever you want.

Chrissy :wave:
www.sugarlite.co.uk

fiona Sun, May-26-02 10:19

Cool!

Thanks Chrissy. That's a cool tool.

Must check out the worldwide recipies too sometime.

Take care.

IslandGirl Sun, May-26-02 22:06

Greetings, Fiona, from across the pond but still within the Commonwealth! :devil:

I've just tripped over this interesting thread, and being a complete foodie and kitchenalia collector, though I might share a few great websites right here... I think you'll like them:
Indian Food Reference Guide & Glossary, alphabetical! 'Indian' (Hindi?) to English. A joy to my persnickety heart :D
Indian Spice Guide, where you'll actually see some differentiation between spice/herb leaves and seeds, though they have Coriander (we spell it with 1 R) Leaves as Hara Dhania and then just plain Coriander as Dhania (I assume seeds). This one is English to 'Indian'.

And then there's THIS fabulously useful Imperial to 'American' (and volume to mass/weight, etc.) conversions page, perfect for us Commonwealth and/or 'Colonial' types... as well as you 'Mother Country' :rolleyes: types...
Weights & Measures Conversions & Translations

Enjoy, kitchen fiends!

df118 Mon, May-27-02 10:02

American Pints

A fluid ounce is the same everywhere (the space taken up by an ounce of water), but there are 20 of them in a UK pint and only 16 in a US pint. So if a cup = 8fl.oz, that isn't the same as half a pint on your old (British) pyrex measuring jug!

Always a disappointment when having a pint in American bars, but better for keeping the carbs down.

dave

Boogie65 Mon, May-27-02 12:40

Half N Half

Here's another one

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is please?

One recipe I came across said use Heavy Cream or Half N Half - would it be like single cream?

Thanks

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk

fiona Mon, May-27-02 17:34

Thanks Everyone

Hi Judi :wave: Hara Dhania literally translated means Green Dhania and would mean the same as Taazi (fresh).

Hey that looks like a great site - gone into my Favourites to be checked out later. The Weights and Measures is certainly comprehensive and leaves no room for doubt. Time for bed now.

Chrissy, I'll let some one from across the pond take up your query re Half N Half. My guess is that it is a brandname a little lighter than single cream, but I could be wrong.

Dave, you could take frequent holidays in the UK to catch up with the larger pints! As you say better to be in US if you LCing ... pint-wise anyway.
Take care.

IslandGirl Wed, May-29-02 21:41

Half 'n' Half

Oy!

Over here (in colonial Canada), half-and-half is literally half Cream and half Milk, and is also called Light Cream. The dairy industry products are name-regulated, and I believe this is almost identical in the US of A, so that Light Cream or Half-and-Half is 10% ButterFat by volume. I presume this will be close to a Single Cream.

Our (Canadian) Whipping Cream is usually 36%+ ButterFat (a Double Cream?) and Heavy Cream (which I haven't seen available much here but is more commonly available in the US) can run up to 45% ButterFat... very rich and thick... do you have a Triple Cream?

I have some Light Cream/Half-and-Half right here, and it's approximately:
Quote:
2 TableSpoons (30mL), 36 kCals
- 1.0g Protein
- 3.0g Fat
- 1.4g Carbohydrate

We Canadians measure our Nutrition Information in 10ths of a gram, whereas the Americans round this up often to the nearest full gram or 5kCal increment.

Fun. :D