Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   A diff Flax Muffin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=277618)

MissSherry Mon, Dec-19-05 09:00

A diff Flax Muffin

http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/fla...on_muffins.html
"KIM'S FLAXMEAL CINNAMON MUFFINS
3 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as Da Vinci or Torani
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon (the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. With a fork or spoon, beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In small bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350º 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 12 muffins
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 85 Calories; 7g Fat; 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

These taste remarkably like bran muffins, but with a lighter texture. Mine had pointy peaks on them, so they look a little funny, but they taste fine. They sliced nicely even when still hot from the oven. They freeze quite well. I thawed one and reheated it very briefly in the microwave and it was perhaps a bit spongier, but still good. "

My experiments with it:

I made these as written out and they are great. You do get that odd flax meal feel in your mouth though. Tried it again doing half flax and half fine almond flour with 2 T vanilla whey and 3 packets of splenda and much better. These come out lighter then the ones on this site and not dry or hard like I was always getting from the others....

I wanna try with some cocoa and bakers choc added but want to wait until my sugar alcohols come so I can mix with the splenda...

I am a muffin breakfast girl all the way..

bob2112 Mon, Dec-19-05 09:14

Thanks for sharing, gonna have to give these a try.

MissSherry Mon, Dec-19-05 09:21

I am enjoying them. The original I had quoted actually are very good cool. I did not get 12 out of teh recipe though but 11...

Luzyanna Sat, Jan-21-06 01:16

I tried these weeks ago and was not happy with the results. They did look nice but didn't taste anything like I thought - just too flaxy. I would be willing to tweak it and try again with WAY less flax (and more sweetner.)

Voo36 Tue, Feb-14-06 14:31

just to share the word.. I tried these and they are awful ( to me at least .. ) wayyyyy too flaxy as luzyanna said.. IF (and its a big if imho) you were desperate for a muffin.. it might be ok slathered in butter and used to carry sf jam to your mouth or with eggs etc..

Different strokes for different folks tho eh ?

MissSherry Tue, Feb-14-06 14:37

I agree the original has too much flax but if you read the post I tried changing that and they were better. They are a flax muffin and I love flax just hate the slime feeling. lol

Betsy-StL Wed, Mar-15-06 09:06

I've made these muffins twice but never used the original recipe. The first time I made them I used 1/2 cup almond flour & 1/2 cup flaxseed meal, instead of 1 cup of flaxseed meal. The only complaint I had was they weren't sweet enough. The second time I made them I also added 1/2 cup of pumpkin and 1/4 cup splenda. These were alot better, they reminded me of carrot cake, but still not quite sweet enough.

PB Girl Sun, Mar-19-06 18:40

Yah, if they are too flaxy use almond flour/ ground almonds instead or to cut it in half like Betsy suggested. I used to make bowl muffins of g. almonds and flax seed. The almonds also add a different flavour and more of a sweetness.

PlayDoh Mon, Mar-20-06 11:28

this is my favorite flax muffin recipe. i was just looking for it and couldn't find it, so i hit this thread thinking, well, i just try this recipe instead, and viola! it was just the recipe i had been looking for. looked on three different forums too lol. so, hey, thanks for posting it :D

cmcole Mon, Apr-03-06 06:30

These are very much like the ones from Dakota Flax (if not exactly the same), and have been my favourite. I tried (see long post in this forum) "the best flax muffins in the world", and found, like others, that without modifying the recipe, it tends to be dry. I end up adding lots of water to the recipe when I make that one. This one suits me just fine.

PlayDoh Mon, Apr-03-06 13:41

i never get twelve out of this recipe, way too small. i usually use all the batter to make 7 or 8 muffins instead. we just killed off a batch. delicious

lendag Tue, May-09-06 19:10

I realy like these muffins ...
I use Vermont SF Mable Syrup
I use Golden Flax meal it has a milder taste ...you don't get that flax meal after taste....

ValJo Fri, Jun-02-06 08:15

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I made them last night with SF caramel syrup - MMMMM!!

Hismouse Tue, Jan-15-08 17:39

I think these will be great, I am a big fan of the Micro muffins, so I think adding 1/2 cup of splenda might help, and 1 more tsp cinnamon.