Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   PCOS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   PCOS and Pregnancy (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=332674)

spring2007 Thu, Apr-26-07 00:33

PCOS and Pregnancy

Anyone else trying to get healthy so that they can conceive?

I went off the pill in April 2005 so that I could figure out what is going on w/ my body so that when the time came TTC then I would be ready :) Well, needless to say that was 2 years ago and I am heavier now then I was then...but that is all going to change this time because I really want to have children soon. I was diagnosed last May with hypoglycemia. I am taking 500 mg. of Metformin but will be increasing the amount next week...the doctor said I could work my way up to 2000 mg. I just had to take it slow and let my body adjust.

Next year this time I want to be a much healthier person that has a better handle on my body!! :D

Anyone else in a similiar situation? Would love to hear from ya!!

rodmick Thu, Apr-26-07 05:25

Hi Spring! I'm definately not trying to get pregnant but I do have pcos and diabetes(which came after many years of hypoglycemia). I had totally given up on the pcos years ago. However the Dr put me on metformin for my diabetes about november and WOW did it help the pcos!!!!!!!! I have had regular period. I had no idea met also treated pcos. I recently had a pcos friend get pregnant after several months on met! Now thats great news!

Best of luck!

Best of luck to you!

aprils0909 Thu, Apr-26-07 06:05

Good luck TTC. It's a long, hard journey for a lot of women (myself included). My aunt had PCOS and I have "unexplained" infertility on my end and morph issue with my husband. Double whammie. 2 IVFs later, I'm LCing for me. It would be a miracle to "oops" get pregnant after so long, but I'm happy to be in your support group and hope for the best for you!

Congrats on joining the LCers and congrats on your motivation to become a parent!

spring2007 Fri, Apr-27-07 11:46

Thanks everyone for the motivation and encouraging words!

April- I hope that you do get pregnant! That would be awesome! You'll be in my prayers!

Virtuous Wed, May-02-07 19:46

Yes I will be praying for you. The most important things is you just continue to LCing and worry about Pre. later, because you want your body to be able to handle it carrying the baby. You will be pregnant befor you know it. Keep us posted

tsh10 Wed, May-30-07 08:35

I'm very happy to have found a support group around LCing and PCOS. I've been struggling with its symptoms for about 10 years. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS around Jan 06. I went on Metformin and lost 20 lbs in about 7 months. My cycles returned to normal and my metabolism seemed to be back to normal (I slowly added complex carbs back into my diet and it didn't seem to matter). I made the huge mistake of going off of Metformin thinking that I am Ok. Well, I gained 10 lbs back in a few months. So I've started taking it again, and I'm starting to loose weight (along with LCing of course).

PCOS is very confusing. Looks like each woman exhibits different symptoms. I agree with Virtuous in that we should continue LCing as it really helps.

Vivi88 Wed, May-30-07 13:31

I also have PCOS and have done Atkins several times for about 3 years each time with success. However, I got off for the last 2 years and although I my gain was only about 20 lbs, it's a lot for me (i'm only 5 ft tall). Anyhow, I am as heavy as I was after delivering my son seven years ago and although I've been able to loose weight easily before, it's harder now that I'm close to 40 :( . My struggle is only made worse because DH and I have been trying to conceive our 2nd child for the last 2 1/2 years (reason i got off Atkins) and have been unable to. I've gained weight due to my carb loaded diet plus a load of fertility treatments. My OB has decided to put me on Metformin starting next cycle (15 days) and I've decided to go back to LCing. I am barely going to start tomorrow but decided to come back to the forums that helped so much years back to see if anyone out there is going thru the same things I am.

April and Spring... my prayers are with you. TTCing is a very hard journey and one that I've been on for much too long. I've "given up" so many times only to find that we want a 2nd child too much to stop trying. Hopefully LCing in conbination with Met will do the trick. Here's hoping!

So good to find you guys! :wave:

Mrs.K Sat, Jul-07-07 03:16

I have been woried about being able to concieve my whole life, I have always had very irregular periods. The main reason I am doing LC is to losse weight and control my PCOS in order to hopfully have children. In January after a few months LCing I got pregnant. I had a miscarriege in march (on our aniversary) the Dr. told me that many woman misscarry their first pregnancy and especialy in the first three months and to loose weight before trying again. It could have been stress, it could have been my weight it could have just been one of those things that happen. But after a couple months of depression and crying I dicited to look on the bright side... At least I can get pregnant. I never thought I could before. I know in my heart had I not been lowcarbing it never would have happend.

gawdess Mon, Jul-16-07 07:41

I am here and LCing, althought not trying to conceive anytime in the visible future. I was diagnosed with PCOS last fall after I began missing periods and having odd cramps throughout the month in my uterus. I've lost a ton of weight on Atkins a few years back, but got bored and stopped after a year. I am back and hoping this will be an alternative to me going on Met. I am also supplementing with herbs/vitamins.

ppuffy3859 Tue, Jul-17-07 20:07

Hey Ladies!

Just stopping in-I have PCOS and it made it very difficult for me to conceive-I was going for months at a time w/o tom, also had fibroids. Within three months of going back on lowcarb, I got pregnant. Insulin regulation or lack thereof plays a huge role in fertility. Also get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility and chart your temps on the Fertility Friend website. That is the only way I really knew when I was ovulating b/c the periods were so erratic. Best of success to everyone ttc and otherwise!

ICanDoThis Wed, Jul-25-07 02:45

I was dx'd with PCOS several years ago. They told me I probably wouldn't be able to have any children. I have 2 children that were complete accidents. I miscarried twice and took another 4 years for the first child, 7 years for the second (each time with a little weightloss) and miscarried 3 years ago. I've steadily gained weight with a few forays into LCing but haven't gotten prego since 3 years ago. I'm hoping to get prego one last time before I turn 40 (in 2 years.) I'm back on my metformin and plan to also take the Provera the Dr. gave me to enhance the metformin or something. I can't remember exactly what its function is, but within 1 month of taking it 3 years ago, I got prego, then miscarried 3 months later. Although I've taken it several times since, it hasn't worked again. I think it has to do with the excess weight I'm carrying. Hoping steady weightloss will help...

mlk18sHuny Fri, Jul-27-07 08:14

Hello everyone! Just wanted to pop my head in here: My DH and I had been trying to conceive since June of 2005. I thought I would have trouble as I have always had trouble with my periods and cramps. Turns out I have PCOS and endometriosis. I started on Metformin in September of 2006 and treated my endometriosis with medication for three months from February - April. In June I found out I was pregnant.

I wish you all the best and I hope that your journey will be what it is meant to be. Have faith, patience, and don't give up!

Nantucket Fri, Jul-27-07 17:30

I am of a different mind then some:
If you want to have a child start it now....there is no way to know if your body will ever be 'baby ready' and the risks get so much higher with pcos as you age and you never know how long-in some cases years it will take to concieve.

(It took me 5 years of trying EVERYTHING by myself-excercise, herbs, homeopathics etc before I found the right doctor for a PCOS looking to have children. A Reproductive Endocrinologist)

I have 3 children all of whom were concieved with different meds and fertility treatments. Metformin worked in conjunction with Clomid for my second child but is never worked again after that-it also never made any difference with my pcos symptoms or weight.

-I was 25 and 240 pounds when I concieved Hannah (100mg Clomid cycle #1)
-I was 26 and 270 pounds when I concieved Joshua (100mg Clomid/1500mg Metformin cycle#3 and I miscarried 2 of 3 fetuses.
-I was 28 and 275 pounds when I concieved Isabella (clomid resistent after cycle, 5mg of Femara[Tomoxofin] )
-we are going back to try for #4 when I reach 270 pounds-the last weight I got pg at)

I have more experience with PCOS and infertility then I wish anyone had so if you ever need to talk I'm around!

GOOD LUCK

ICanDoThis Mon, Aug-06-07 22:18

I'm starting to think another child is not in the works for us. It's very hard to say that, but It's been 8 years since I had a child. I may be getting too old, and my body isn't cooperating. I am, however, grateful for the 2 girls I have. I wish everyone blessings and continued faith that their bodies will in time work and give them their heart's desire...

Lvn2QTPies Wed, Sep-05-07 14:45

Hi there!! Yes, I had problems with PCOS and getting pregnant. I didn't know what was wrong for 2 solid years, until I did research myself (my OB wasn't helping my at all), and figured out that's what it was. So, I went to a fertility doctor who prescribed Metformin for me. I had already started dieting and lost close to 50 pounds, and after losing my weight and being on Metformin, I got pregnant within a month of trying. Now I have 4 wonderful kids! I wish you the best of luck!