Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Low Carb TV Dinners (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480421)

BillyHW Fri, Jun-01-18 04:13

New Low Carb TV Dinners
 
Hey folks,

For the first time ever I saw that they have some new low carb TV dinners at my supermarket.

https://www.healthychoice.com/simpl...roccoli-alfredo

https://www.healthychoice.com/simpl...esto-vegetables

They are still adding some sugar and starch, but the amounts do not seem that excessive. They've basically replaced the rice with more veggies. You can tell the food scientists and nutritionists worked on these because they've actually tried to balance the sodium and potassium levels to the recommended ratios (also a first!).

Net carbs are 4-6g per package, which isn't terrible.

Unfortunately I think they are also trying to do low fat at the same time as low carb, so that they can check all the "healthy" boxes in the marketing department. But there's no reason you can't just add some (artery clogging :) butter to it to make it better.

At least they seem to be trying now.

dcc0455 Fri, Jun-01-18 10:45

Hey Billy,

I normally cook from scratch, but it would be useful to have a couple of these in the freezer for a quick meal. I haven't and probably won't replace my microwave since it died. Do you know if these are microwave only or is the package oven ready?

Meme#1 Fri, Jun-01-18 11:15

The first one with 4g looks good and is equal to one of the Atkins frozen meals.
I don't see the nutritional info on the second one and it does have pasta and green peas so I would bet it's higher than 4-6g carbs.

Good to know that they're coming around from their 24g of sugar in their usual low-fat selections.

BillyHW Fri, Jun-01-18 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
The first one with 4g looks good and is equal to one of the Atkins frozen meals.
I don't see the nutritional info on the second one and it does have pasta and green peas so I would bet it's higher than 4-6g carbs.

Good to know that they're coming around from their 24g of sugar in their usual low-fat selections.


That's pesto, not pasta. Here is the nutrition label. Seems to have 6 net carbs.

http://smartlabel.healthychoice.com...97457/nutrition

Sadly we don't get Atkins frozen meals in Canada. :(

I also wish they put more fat in these, and they weren't just protein, but I'm just going to add some butter to it.

BillyHW Fri, Jun-01-18 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
Hey Billy,

I normally cook from scratch, but it would be useful to have a couple of these in the freezer for a quick meal. I haven't and probably won't replace my microwave since it died. Do you know if these are microwave only or is the package oven ready?


If I remember correctly from when I tried them last week, the tray it comes in seems to be plastic, so I don't think they are conventional-oven friendly. I will get a couple for lunch today and see what the package says and let you know for sure later.

Meme#1 Fri, Jun-01-18 14:38

Funny how they didn't label them "Low-carb"

BillyHW Fri, Jun-01-18 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Funny how they didn't label them "Low-carb"


I think in Canada at least it's illegal to label anything low-carb.

You can label it low-fat, cholesterol-free, low saturated fat, all-natural, organic, vegan, halal etc...you can label it with whatever you want *except* low carb. Because reasons.

The one thing the government won't tolerate is healthy dietary truth.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/la...0/1409845010355

Meme#1 Fri, Jun-01-18 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
I think in Canada at least it's illegal to label anything low-carb.

You can label it low-fat, cholesterol-free, low saturated fat, all-natural, organic, vegan, halal etc...you can label it with whatever you want *except* low carb. Because reasons.

The one thing the government won't tolerate is healthy dietary truth.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/la...0/1409845010355


What? Are you serious?

thud123 Sat, Jun-02-18 05:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
I think in Canada at least it's illegal to label anything low-carb.

You can label it low-fat, cholesterol-free, low saturated fat, all-natural, organic, vegan, halal etc...you can label it with whatever you want *except* low carb. Because reasons.

The one thing the government won't tolerate is healthy dietary truth.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/la...0/1409845010355

Makes sense to me as "carbohydrate" is a non-essential nutrient. Why label it and make outlandish meaningless claims?

BillyHW Sat, Jun-02-18 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
Hey Billy,

I normally cook from scratch, but it would be useful to have a couple of these in the freezer for a quick meal. I haven't and probably won't replace my microwave since it died. Do you know if these are microwave only or is the package oven ready?


Okay, so the trays are plastic and there are only microwave instructions on the box. So they seem so be microwave only.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35.

Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.