Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Mug-Cake frenzy! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470267)

Nicekitty Mon, Oct-12-15 22:02

Mug-Cake frenzy!

I just discovered mug cakes a little over a week ago (for some reason the muffin-in-a-minute concept never grabbed me). I wanted a small treat, fast, yummy, for hubby and me. Found some recipes on the internet, and I just loved the concept---I've made mug cakes ("muggies") every night for the past week! Even found a book in the library on 101 mug cake recipes (not low carb, but I thought there might be some flavoring ideas I could use).

After tinkering with several recipes, I've come up with my own that I really like and is easy to make:

Mix together dry ingredients (I mix them up in one of the mugs):
2 tab. almond meal
2 tab. coconut flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
dash of salt
sweetener to taste (still working on the right level for both hubby and me, currently I use 1 tsp sugar and 2 packets plain stevia as we don't handle erythritol well)

Mix together wet ingredients in a smallish bowl:
1 egg
1/4 cup HWC
(melt dark chocolate in a bit of the HWC to taste--I can't use much)
dash of vanilla
any extracts or other flavors

Mix dry ingredients into wet, coconut flour tends to be lumpy, so you'll have to mix it well. Add lots of nuts and/or unsweetened coconut if desired.

Divide ingredients into 2 coffee mugs (needs a small spatula to get it all). Don't bother greasing the mugs, it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Microwave for 1 minute, up to 20 seconds more if you have more ingredients (until top is just dry looking).

Cool just a bit, then top with whipped cream, or cream cheese frosting.

These are just the right size for an after-dinner treat for two, or stick one in the fridge for later. I'm going to be working on some other flavors for variety.

Kristine Tue, Oct-13-15 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Don't bother greasing the mugs, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Cleanup hack: use ceramic ramekins (I got mine at a dollar store) and paper muffin liners. :cool:

There are so many variations on mug muffins, you almost can't go wrong. I made PB&J muffins recently with a bunch of over-ripe strawberries. Filling, not overly sweet, 7 net carbs per serving. I had one early in the morning with my coffee and wasn't hungry again until well after noon.

PB and mashed banana is another one I do; I just limit the banana to maybe 1/3 per serving and don't add any other sweeteners.

JEY100 Tue, Oct-13-15 07:20

Paleo is set as one of my Pinterest interests. Every day there are at least a few "mug cakes" ...Paleo treats loaded with their approved sweeteners is more popular than "food" Many could be made lower carb with a switch to swerve or the like. Saw a Banana or Pumpkin Chocolate Chip this morning (there are 85% cocoa chips now). Tempting :yum:

http://agirlworthsaving.net/2015/05...-mug-bread.html

Nancy LC Tue, Oct-13-15 08:31

I make "bowl muffins". I have for years and years. Same idea, but I use a bowl. Lately I've been using lupin flour or peanut flour.

MickiSue Tue, Oct-13-15 10:53

Peanut flour! OMG, that sounds like heaven. SO much better than PB flavored sugar free sweetener!

Robin120 Wed, Oct-14-15 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Peanut flour! OMG, that sounds like heaven. SO much better than PB flavored sugar free sweetener!

i LOVE those syrups, but- yeah, um, the pb one is so gross! i hate the caramel, too.

so many great ideas here- pb and J......pumpkin chocolate chip!
i might have to break out a nice batch in the oven, so i can share.

Nancy LC Wed, Oct-14-15 08:21

Lupin flour makes lovely things too. It also has a very pleasing yellow color. Both lupin and peanut flour are on netrition.com. Today I had a slice of bread/cake for breakfast. It was just slightly sweetened and had a tiny hint of lemon. Made it with lupin flour. Very nice!

Kind of reminds me of sponge cake.

LadyBelle Fri, Oct-16-15 06:51

1/4 cup HWC?

Is that coconut oil or other fat?

MickiSue Fri, Oct-16-15 08:12

Heavy Whipping Cream: nectar of the gods.

LadyBelle Fri, Oct-16-15 21:03

Ah ok, yes familiar with the stuff (too addicting for me, trying to limit to a splash in coffee) not sure why it wasn't registering. I kept trying to translate it to a fat of some sort

Nicekitty Fri, Oct-16-15 21:24

I've got some more recipe ideas that I have been tinkering with. I also want to get carb counts on all of them. I'll post when I get them figured out, don't want to post anything that is too high carb here.

"Paleo" is a joke to me now--I've seen absolute blood sugar carbocolypse too many times, marketed as "paleo", and ruining "primal" also. Deep fry it in coconut oil and it is suddenly "paleo", just ridiculous!

JEY100 Sat, Oct-17-15 04:23

The monetization of Paleo makes me sick, and some of the worst show up on Pinterest everyday. Get a good camera, make something super sweet, post pretty picture, write wholesome girl blog post, sit back and make money off the click-bait. (Signed cranky old lady :lol: )

MickiSue Sat, Oct-17-15 08:52

:lol: When I was looking for fat bomb recipes, I couldn't believe the pretty heart shaped ones on Pinterest! Who knew?

I bought an old fashioned ice cube tray, dropped them in there and cut them in half for a serving.

Merpig Sat, Oct-17-15 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Lupin flour makes lovely things too. It also has a very pleasing yellow color. Both lupin and peanut flour are on netrition.com. Today I had a slice of bread/cake for breakfast. It was just slightly sweetened and had a tiny hint of lemon. Made it with lupin flour. Very nice!

Kind of reminds me of sponge cake.
Ok. I just placed an order at netrition.com and included some lupin flour which I had not tried yet. And recipe for your bread/cake? :)

honeypie Sat, Oct-17-15 12:40

I'm seconding the recipe request please, Nancy. Sounds great! :)