Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Elevated Liver Enzymes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=397821)

ICanDoThis Tue, Jun-23-09 22:28

Elevated Liver Enzymes

For the last 2 1/2 weeks my husband has been suffering from huge loss of appetite, exhausted all the time, where he sleeps after I force him to eat dinner (doesn't wake until morning then.)

He went in for a whole panel of blood work. The results came back with highly elevated liver enzymes. I've read up on what that means. They've ruled out things like Mono, Hepatitis, Gout, Thyroid issues. From what I can read, it could be an effect of Fatty Liver. Mass amounts of Triglycerides in his liver. With a change in diet to lower those, it should be okay. If left untreated, it could irreparably damage his liver.

From all I read about this, lowering Triglycerides is so much easier being on a LC diet. We're just trying to figure out what he can eat. He's been on a LC diet for months and months. I'm thinking chicken, fish, no red meats. I wasn't sure if he should lower the fat on things, like dairy products? What has higer levels of triglycerides?

Anyone dealing with this diagnosis as well? I could use some insight.

We are scheduling an MRI for him, just to rule out a liver tumor which can also show elevated liver enzymes.

camaromom Wed, Jun-24-09 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanDoThis
He went in for a whole panel of blood work. The results came back with highly elevated liver enzymes. I've read up on what that means. They've ruled out things like Mono, Hepatitis, Gout, Thyroid issues. From what I can read, it could be an effect of Fatty Liver. Mass amounts of Triglycerides in his liver. With a change in diet to lower those, it should be okay. If left untreated, it could irreparably damage his liver.

From all I read about this, lowering Triglycerides is so much easier being on a LC diet. We're just trying to figure out what he can eat. He's been on a LC diet for months and months. I'm thinking chicken, fish, no red meats. I wasn't sure if he should lower the fat on things, like dairy products? What has higer levels of triglycerides?

Anyone dealing with this diagnosis as well? I could use some insight.

We are scheduling an MRI for him, just to rule out a liver tumor which can also show elevated liver enzymes.

I don't have abnormal liver function tests, but I did have outrageously high triglycerides - 3,223 at one time. My endocrinologist told me to follow Atkins, buy the book and follow what he recommends. I've done that and while my triglycerides are still slightly elevated according to AMA standards they were like 175 last time, they are great for me. The endo said the only other thing I could do was to have picked better parents. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, Atkins is most definately NOT a low fat diet. It is actually high fat, moderate protein and low carb. Your body stores all that extra carb in the blood as triglycerides. I eat loads of red meat, and I always add fat to chicken/fish to up my fat intake.

Pull out your Atkins book and re-read the section on lipids.
Barb

CAKron55 Wed, Jun-24-09 07:02

I too have had slightly elevated liver enzymes for 3 years now; I had a liver biopsy and it was diagnosed as autoimmune hepatitis. I've been on varying doses of prednisone ever since.

When I read your post about your husband the first thing I thought was Diabetes -- the tiredness, the high triglycerides. But surely they tested him for diabetes?

Nancy LC Wed, Jun-24-09 07:42

This story might help you: Fatty Liver Reversal

Or this one:
Triglycerides Buster

Update

ICanDoThis Wed, Jun-24-09 11:02

Yes, diabetes was a concern since his father died of diabetes complications. But they've ruled that out for now.

CAMRAOMOM - This is the article I was reading about triglycerides that suggested eliminated red meats (and the doctor said that as well.) http://www.all-about-lowering-chole...glycerides.html

NANCY LC - thanks for the links, I will read through them.

Nancy LC Wed, Jun-24-09 11:52

Argh! That's the worst advice ever. Triglycerides come from eating carbohydrates, not meat.

capmikee Wed, Jun-24-09 14:30

Fructose in particular is very bad for your liver. It can't be absorbed directly into your bloodstream like glucose can, so all of it goes to your liver to be converted to triglycerides. High fructose foods include HFCS, sweet fruits like apples and oranges, and honey. The very worst source of fructose is actually a "health food:" agave nectar. Popular "prebiotics" like inulin (often added to yogurt) are actually fructose polymers.

camaromom Wed, Jun-24-09 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanDoThis
Yes, diabetes was a concern since his father died of diabetes complications. But they've ruled that out for now.

CAMRAOMOM - This is the article I was reading about triglycerides that suggested eliminated red meats (and the doctor said that as well.) http://www.all-about-lowering-chole...glycerides.html

NANCY LC - thanks for the links, I will read through them.

OMG!!! Please pull out your Atkins Bible oops I mean book! That website is awful. Fruit juice - come on! I think not.
Barb

ICanDoThis Wed, Jun-24-09 17:15

We've read the articles posted above and understand it better now. THANKS! He talked with the Dr again and has ordered the MRI. He has also been told he can eat red meat a couple times a week. Plus he is going to take Omega-3 pills to help with triglycerides. The Dr said they weren't exorbitantly high so not sure what the elevated liver enzymes can be.

fatnewmom Sun, Jun-28-09 20:08

wow, how frightening for you guys. so how long was he on low carb before this happened, and which plan was he on? how low carb did he go? thanx.

ICanDoThis Mon, Jun-29-09 12:12

He has done low carb off and on for years. I don't think it had anything to do with low carbing. In fast, he's been told to stay on it. His MRI is tomorrow. We'll know more then. Just praying for good things and wisdom.

Nancy LC Mon, Jun-29-09 13:18

Steven posted another fatty liver reversal story.

Are you guys eating grains? Low carb bread, etc?

ICanDoThis Mon, Jun-29-09 13:34

No, no breads. I know he has LC tortilla sometimes but not often.

Thanks for the link. I'll read it.