Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Help w/ snack ideas? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=430012)

*bookish* Sun, Jun-26-11 16:06

Help w/ snack ideas?

I'm hoping I can tap into some of the group knowledge here, and get some good ideas on SB snacks. I have dietary restrictions - no soy, dairy, almonds, or eggs - and there's only so much beef jerky I can eat in a day ;)

Any suggestions? I also can't really do aspartame/ splenda/ other artificial sweeteners because they make my head spin. Haven't tried stevia yet, but may give it a whirl if I find a good recipe!

x:read:

Judynyc Sun, Jun-26-11 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bookish*
I'm hoping I can tap into some of the group knowledge here, and get some good ideas on SB snacks. I have dietary restrictions - no soy, dairy, almonds, or eggs - and there's only so much beef jerky I can eat in a day ;)

Any suggestions? I also can't really do aspartame/ splenda/ other artificial sweeteners because they make my head spin. Haven't tried stevia yet, but may give it a whirl if I find a good recipe!

x:read:

Snacks can be any food that you can eat in a small portion.
A cup of soup can be a snack.
Some ( 2 tbs)hummus with fresh veggies is also a good snack.
Snacks do not need to be sweet food as I enjoy savory snacks too.
I cook up a couple of lbs of chicken breasts at a time and will cut off a couple of ounces as a snack sometimes.

Hope some of this helps! :wave:

Robin120 Sat, Aug-25-12 17:39

know this is an old thread, but i am brainstorming new snacks at the moment, so figured i'd reply:

no soy, dairy, almonds, or eggs

1. celery with peanut butter
2. veggies and baba gnoiush, guacomole, bean dip, hummus, etc...
3. nuts, other than almonds
4. turkey slices wrapped around a pickle

lovemyvet Sat, Aug-25-12 19:05

my staple snack is raw veggies (especially cucumber, snap pea or red pepper) with hummus and a small slice of pepper jack cheese

Kurst Wed, Aug-29-12 05:14

I don't know why I didn't see this thread before. I'm also gluten-free (out of necessity). The no dairy makes it a little more complicated but I am sure any of these ideas should work for you.

Things I snack on:
celery w/ peanut butter
red pepper strips w/ hummus
macadamias or peanuts
nuts with a fruit (ie: peanuts & cherries, hazelnuts & grapes)
avocado slices w/ lemon juice sprinkled on them
pepperoni chips (nuke for a minute or so, let cool & they turn crispy)
tomato slices grilled for 2 minutes
cucumbers w/ a little salt
soups (I freeze soups into 1 serving portions & thaw when needed in micro)
crispy pickles

*bookish* Wed, Aug-29-12 07:16

I forgot I started this thread! I just saw it on the 'new posts' feed and thought 'hey, that's interesting' and then noticed I had asked the question to begin with! :idea:

I've discovered cheese and pepperoni 'chips' - both total winners - and my go-to recently has been nut butter on a spoon. Very frat boy of me, but I like it (although I see the value of using a veggie as the carrier, rather than just a utensil)

I am buying sliced turkey today with the sole purpose of wrapping it around a pickle! Holey Moses, that sounds SO good.

Thanks all!

ps I added back in lower-lactose dairy to no ill effect, and that's made things a bit easier too

lisaward4 Wed, Oct-14-20 11:44

bumping up! going to post in a second. this has some great ideas!!!

lisaward4 Wed, Oct-14-20 11:58

tonight i am going to work on my snack bins. i get two plastic bins from dollars and small rewashable cups from dollar tree. one bin is for protein choices. one is for veggies. i would make enough for the week. for the protein i do hardboiled eggs, reduced fat string cheese, 2 tablespoons of homemade hummus, laughing cow light cheese, nuts that i weigh out or count out myself and place in a baggie, natural peanut butter, turkey wrapped around a pickle. i cut up different veggies( celery, fresh brocolli, bell pepper, cucumber, dill pickle, snap peas) and place them in baggies for the second plastic bin. when i am getting ready for work i just grab two protein items and a couple of items from the veggie bin and i have my snacks for the day. every sunday was my meal prep day. on sunday i used to refill the bins if needed, and plan my dinners and lunches for the entire week. going to start the snack bin tonight and just sat down and planned low carb dinners until sunday.