Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Mock Mac & Cheese (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128080)

caverjen Mon, Aug-04-03 19:44

Mock Mac & Cheese

I got this recipe from another low-carb forum. It's very easy and tasty.

by Kim Birney
This really tastes like macaroni and cheese - the homemade kind, not the Kraft kind.

1 pound extra firm tofu (500gr)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1/4 cup cream
salt and garlic powder (to taste)
Smash up the tofu with a fork. Mix all the other ingredients and add to the tofu. Put the mixtures in a casserole dish and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is bubbly and lightly browned on the top.

Serves 4

Nina added cauliflower and mustard, and Mischa added those plus ham and fried onions. I'd like to try it with hot pepper cheese next time.

etoiles Tue, Aug-05-03 00:06

I made something almost just like this except with a leftover cream cheese sauce! It was very very good! I couldn't believe how much like real pasta it tasted!

Good for you for posting this and letting others know!

:yay:

el corazón Sat, Aug-09-03 19:22

I tried this too but with the Ragu Cheddar Cheese that comes in a jar. Just toss it all together and throw it in the micro. Yum! And thanks for the idea to try out tofu! I was scared before, now its my new best friend! If only I could find it on sale again! :)

gawdess Mon, Aug-11-03 15:29

Cant wait to try this!

jennie_m Thu, Aug-14-03 21:04

Tried this last night...it was surprisingly good! I may try adding tuna for a tuna noodle casserole effect. You think it would work?

el corazón Fri, Aug-15-03 19:06

hmm tuna! I dont like tuna but if you do it should taste good! :) I may add chicken now that you mention tuna...I love tofu! Now if I could only find something to do with the 2 packages of silken tofu I have in the fridge! Any ideas?

skeeweeaka Fri, Aug-15-03 19:28

Wow...I am dying for some mac and cheese... Will try this tomorrow... Thanks...!!!

jennie_m Sat, Aug-16-03 08:49

What is silken tofu??? I was a first time "tofu-er" on this recipe...lol!

etoiles Sat, Aug-16-03 12:33

Silken tofu is soft tofu you would probably use to make like a smoothie or something similar. The firm or extra firm tastes good with this recipe because it makes it resemble the texture of cooked noodles more.

Good luck trying it!

GQed76 Sat, Aug-16-03 16:47

trying this tonight!

erbadger Tue, Aug-19-03 13:40

you can also use the silken tofu to make some cheesecakes that are not as dense as regular low carb cheese cake.

calico32 Tue, Aug-19-03 22:08

What's the carb count for this recipie?

janegrace Thu, Aug-21-03 10:46

Sounds like a great recipe to me! I looked things up, and I'm coming up with total 18 carbs/6 fiber so it nets out to only 3 carbs per serving. Awesome. Guess what we're having for dindin tonight...... :read2:

Kristine Sun, Aug-24-03 09:50

Calico, you'd have to plug it into fitday to figure out the carb count, because tofu really varies from brand to brand.

I've got this in the oven right now! :thup:

cyntalkalo Sun, Aug-24-03 14:06

Mock Mac & Cheese

This was very good. I had only used the silken tofu for smoothies, This tasted way better than the soy pasta stuff I tried. Has good pasta texture so you feel like you are eating the good ole comfort food!