Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tuit Nutrition: The Salt Fix (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477948)

WereBear Sun, Aug-20-17 07:06

Tuit Nutrition: The Salt Fix

Amy from Tuit Nutrition reviews The Salt Fix:

Quote:
“Modern medicine diverted us from our evolutionary path when it decided that salt was a toxic, addictive, non-essential food additive. The seeds of this destructive myth were sown one hundred years ago, but we are still bearing the costs now.” (p.30)

“As is clear from the medical literature, as well as the population-based studies, low-salt guidelines are not ‘the ideal.’ They are not even innocuous. We may someday discover that the low-salt guidelines created more heart disease than they ever prevented.” (p.89)

Book Review: The Salt Fix (and a look at sodium)

Thanks to NancyLC on this board, and her famous Get your salt! thread, I have been happily indulging, to the point of getting a bag of pink Himalyan sea salt. Yes, I can tell the difference. This stuff tastes better. ( also take kelp tablets and eat seafood because I'm not getting my iodine from table salt anymore... and I don't have thyroid issues. If you do, this needs to be further researched, I understand.)

Yesterday I got out my leftover chuck roast and added LOTS of salt :lol:

It's a good look and just another facet of how everything we have been told... is wrong.

I've decided that this is because when we are in a high carb environment; nothing in our bodies works the way it should. Low salt, low fat, low calorie; it's all distorted for short term adjustment that ignores the long term, terrible, effects.

cotonpal Sun, Aug-20-17 08:05

It's really mind boggling just how wrong the past half century of dietary advice has been with its bad effects still going strong. I use salt freely, both the pink salt and this mixture of sea salt and seeweed

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.ph...&products_id=98

I cook my bone broth with sea weed flakes and eat sardines and canned Alaskan salmon.

I can't help but notice, as I make my way in the world, how many people simply look ill, much of it probably due to what they eat.

Jean

GRB5111 Sun, Aug-20-17 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Thanks to NancyLC on this board, and her famous Get your salt! thread, I have been happily indulging, to the point of getting a bag of pink Himalyan sea salt. Yes, I can tell the difference. This stuff tastes better. ( also take kelp tablets and eat seafood because I'm not getting my iodine from table salt anymore... and I don't have thyroid issues. If you do, this needs to be further researched, I understand.)

Yesterday I got out my leftover chuck roast and added LOTS of salt :lol:

Yes, I've been doing the same thanks to Nancy's post. I read The Salt Fix by James DiNicolantonio, PharmD, and Amy's review is an excellent summary. Salt is really important, and DiNicolantonio disputes recent cherished myths such as how salt causes high blood pressure. I was able to achieve normal blood pressure on LCHF with ample amounts of salt consumed in the process. Older people especially need a good base of salt each day for beneficial reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It's a good look and just another facet of how everything we have been told... is wrong.

I've decided that this is because when we are in a high carb environment; nothing in our bodies works the way it should. Low salt, low fat, low calorie; it's all distorted for short term adjustment that ignores the long term, terrible, effects.

As I'm finishing Undoctored by William Davis, this is one of the core observations, our diet has been distorted to favor high carbs such as sugar and grains (whole or refined, it makes no significant difference leading to a negative health outcome) and coupled with the recommendation to reduce saturated fats has resulted in Metabolic Syndrome and all its symptoms along with an alarming increase in obesity in the population. These were not our grandparents' and previous generations' foods, and the whole "movement" fostered by political (government inserting itself trying to help eradicate heart disease), business (food manufacturers creating in their labs frankenfoods that are low in salt and fat), and pharma (developing pills to treat symptoms without identifying the overall root cause) interests.

Yes, nothing works the way it should because we've been told to eat differently than humans should.

cotonpal Sun, Aug-20-17 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111

As I'm finishing Undoctored by William Davis, this is one of the core observations, our diet has been distorted to favor high carbs such as sugar and grains (whole or refined, it makes no significant difference leading to a negative health outcome) and coupled with the recommendation to reduce saturated fats has resulted in Metabolic Syndrome and all its symptoms along with an alarming increase in obesity in the population. These were not our grandparents' and previous generations' foods, and the whole "movement" fostered by political (government inserting itself trying to help eradicate heart disease), business (food manufacturers creating in their labs frankenfoods that are low in salt and fat), and pharma (developing pills to treat symptoms without identifying the overall root cause) interests.

Yes, nothing works the way it should because we've been told to eat differently than humans should.

I believe that Dr Davis's message in Undoctored is very important. When it comes to attaining optimal health you don't need a doctor, in fact conventionally trained physicians are apt to give you very bad advice. Instead you can take control of your own health, do your own research using Dr Google, and come to your own conclusions. It all goes a lot beyond weight loss and what to eat or not eat. It is a paradigm shift putting the individual in charge of their own health, making their own decisions based on their own research. Conventionally trained doctors are still very good for some things but we are all capable of being our own doctors when it comes to lifestyle medicine.

Jean

Meme#1 Sun, Aug-20-17 12:47

The other day while cleaning out my china cabinet I was reminded of these little antique crystal salt wells that I have, that were passed down to me from 2 or 3 generations ago. They're small individual size and I have several so everyone at the table must have had their own personal salt.
This one is 2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide, stands 1 inch tall.

The salt wells/cellar look just like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectangle-O...CUfBsbYIYNqFrtw

e-bay is full of the individual salt cellars from back in the day, some of them have their own spoon!

neo_crone Tue, Aug-22-17 02:15

Comments on chapter 2 of the The Salt Fix from Matthew Dalby
https://honey-guide.com/2017/08/21/evolving-salt/

cshepard Tue, Aug-22-17 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_crone
Comments on chapter 2 of the The Salt Fix from Matthew Dalby
https://honey-guide.com/2017/08/21/evolving-salt/

Very interesting. Thanks for this link.

deirdra Tue, Aug-22-17 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
The other day while cleaning out my china cabinet I was reminded of these little antique crystal salt wells that I have, that were passed down to me from 2 or 3 generations ago. They're small individual size and I have several so everyone at the table must have had their own personal salt. This one is 2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide, stands 1 inch tall.
Even the smallest I've seen holds a Tablespoon of salt. I wonder how much people used per meal? The little spoons I've seen hold 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of salt, so that was probably the amount you'd add to one food, which is about what I use.

Bonnie OFS Tue, Aug-22-17 10:29

I have a couple of teeny-tiny spoons that I've always assumed were salt spoons - they hold about 1/2 teaspoon.

Meme#1 Tue, Aug-22-17 15:14

Maybe your spoons went with my salt cellars Bonnie! :lol:
I wonder what type of salt they used back then?

mojolissa Tue, Aug-22-17 21:34

Growing up my dad used a salt cellar much smaller and round to dip his green onions in and eat 'em raw!
I always thought that was so yucky! :lol:

EDIT: I guess looking again at the dimensions it may have been that size....

deirdra Wed, Aug-23-17 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
Growing up my dad used a salt cellar much smaller and round to dip his green onions in and eat 'em raw!
My Dad did that too - it is very tasty, but I hadn't thought about it in 40 yrs until you mentioned it! Heading out to buy some green onions (I have plenty of salt of all varieties). I guess that was the point of personal rather than communal salt cellars - it reduces the ick factor.

Nancy LC Wed, Aug-23-17 11:29

I keep my salt in a bamboo salt cellar at home. It is easier to use than shaking it, especially for cooking. I prefer kosher salt because it has larger crystals.

Bonnie OFS Wed, Aug-23-17 13:07

I prefer kosher salt, too. In the kitchen I keep a small jar of salt for cooking.

JEY100 Tue, Aug-29-17 04:32

Robb Wolf, my favorite interviewer, podcast on The Salt Fix with Dr Dinicolantio.

https://robbwolf.com/2017/08/29/epi...o-the-salt-fix/