Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Cranberry Walnut Bread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=356688)

Nancy542 Sun, Dec-02-07 19:08

Cranberry Walnut Bread

Cranberry Walnut Bread

8 eggs

½ cup coconut oil or butter, melted

½ cup coconut milk

½ cup sugar substitute

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon lemon extract

½ teaspoon salt

⅔ cup sifted coconut flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup dried cranberries

½ cup walnuts, chopped

Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk, sugar substitute, vanilla, lemon extract, and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk thoroughly into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in cranberry sauce and nuts. Pour into greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 C) for 60 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Nancy <;0)

Dorijane Tue, Nov-17-09 09:55

Nancy542,

What is the carb count for this bread? It sounds delicious!

Dori

Nancy LC Tue, Nov-17-09 16:17

Quote:
Fold in cranberry sauce and nuts.

Did you forget an ingredient? I don't see cranberry sauce in the ingredient list. Looks yummy!

Oops, I see this recipe was posted almost 2 years ago.

Dorijane Wed, Nov-18-09 21:32

My goodness you are right Nancy LC! I didn't notice the date posted when I commented on the recipe....

Gypsybyrd Fri, Nov-20-09 15:43

I'm glad you posted Dorijane. I'd never have seen the recipe any other way.

Nancy - I think the directions meant to say "fold in cransberries" not c-sauce. JMO though.

Nancy LC Fri, Nov-20-09 17:59

Yeah, after re-reading it a few times I figured that must be it.

Gypsybyrd Sun, Nov-22-09 18:44

I made this tonight. It's moist. The flavor is pretty good but it needs more to balance the flavor of the coconut flour. And, when I went to remove the loaf from the (well-buttered) pan, it split in half, horizontally. Maybe I didn't let it cool enough before trying to get it out of the pan but I always thought breads should cool on a wire rack? Anyway, it's pretty good. And it's super easy to make.

The cranberries are high carb (I used dried) but I think other flavors could easily be substituted in for the cranberries.

Dorijane Mon, Nov-23-09 11:50

:) Nancy and GypsyByrd, I am glad that I posted too!
GypsyByrd do you know the carb count on the loaf you made?

I will need to go to the store to get coconut milk and coconut flour
(I wonder, could I use 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 soy flour...)

:idea: As for the cranberries - maybe if I put them thru a food
processer I could use less of them and maybe as they would be
smaller pieces they should more evenly distribute thru the bread...

:wave: Thank you ladies for allowing me to bounce ideas. once my
hubby has his low carb homemade Artisan Bread recipe 'fine-tuned'
I will post it here! :wave:

Nancy LC Mon, Nov-23-09 14:54

You might not be able to find coconut flour in a store, I order off the Internet.

I think maybe adding some xanthan gum might make the bread stick together a little better. They usually add it in gluten free recipes.

Yeah, I can imagine that you'd probably need to let it cool entirely before removing. Coconut flour doesn't have any "glue" in it like wheat flour does.

Sometimes I like to put a strip of parchment paper in pans and let the tails hang out of the pan. Then I can kind of lift it out more easily. I use butter to glue the strip of parchment to the pan.

Gypsybyrd Tue, Nov-24-09 09:45

Those are great ideas for keeping it in one piece and removing it from the pan Nancy!

As for the carb count, I have not inputted it into MyPLAN but will do so some time thise week.

Btw, it tasted excellent this morning as I grabbed a piece of it out of the fridge. :)

Gypsybyrd Tue, Nov-24-09 09:57

I just inputted the recipe (I actually used an entire can of coconut milk instead of 1/2 cup) and came up with this:

105.4 carbs total
67.45 net carbs

I figure 16 servings so 6.6 carbs per serving (or 4.2 net carbs per serving).

Dorijane Wed, Nov-25-09 09:57

:idea: There are some 'Whole Foods', Vitamin Cottage stores around where I live, I will check there for coconut flour...

GypsyByrd - what is the difference between carbs per serving and 'net carbs' per serving :q:

Gypsybyrd Wed, Nov-25-09 12:27

Some people subtract fiber from the total carbs to get "net" carbs. It's a version of Atkins (2002 and more recent I think).

I used Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour, which happens to be available in my local grocery store (Publix).

Nancy LC Wed, Nov-25-09 16:33

I've heard the Bob's Red Mill brand of coconut flour is nasty. How'd it work for you, Gypsy? I get aloha nu online. Various places, google for the best price.

My bread came out great! I put in 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum and I let it cool completely in the pan. I used a strip of parchment down the middle of the pan that covered the bottom and ran up 2 sides. I'm glad I did because it stuck. I just had to loosen the two sides that weren't covered and turn it upside down to get it out.

I used a little more sweetener than the recipe called for because I goofed on the calculation of my drops, but it tastes great anyway!

I dare say, this is one of my greatest successes with coconut flour so far. I made a crust once that was really awesome.

Gypsybyrd Wed, Nov-25-09 22:26

I don't have any other coconut flour with which to compare Bob's Red Mill. I don't have a problem with BRM. I may try another brand.

What recipe did you use for the awesome pie crust?