Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Any suggestions on (delicate subject) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=82700)

yvonne326 Wed, Jan-29-03 15:35

Any suggestions on (delicate subject)

being "backed up". I am so backed up not from this WOE but from medications I am on for pain and although I drink tons of water, taken flax seed, even phsyllum, eating salads, veggies....I have not had a good BM in over a week and my tummy is bloated, I feel like I have a rock inside of me.... :( I am just about given up going "natural" and thinking of taking a laxative tonight. I rarely ever get constipated by the way...so it must be the medications.

willeke Wed, Jan-29-03 15:49

Hi Yvonne, did you try calcium-magnesium-zinc? I take three a day and the problem is solved, but I have to make sure I get enough olive oil as well, which I put in my protein powder drink.
I hope you'll find a solution soon
all the best
Willeke

yvonne326 Wed, Jan-29-03 15:50

Malitol always moved me in the past....maybe I should eat a SF Russell Stover (box???? LOL)

thanks.

tanzia77 Wed, Jan-29-03 16:04

Are you eating the protein bars? If so, STOP!! If not, Do not Start!! Everytime I even think about eating one...the train stops!! If you have an health food store nearby they have some herbal pills you can take that will clean you out, everything. Just tell them you want to do a cleanse and they can tell you what to take, should not interfere with your Atkins either.

Lisa N Wed, Jan-29-03 19:28

If your pain medication contains Codeine, constipation is a very common side effect. Laxatives are perfectly safe for occasional use especially in situations such as this. You might want to try something a bit less harsh such as a stool softener like Dulcolax. Phillips Milk of Magnesia is also a more gentle laxative.
If you do decide to go ahead with a laxative or stool softener, make sure you continue to drink plenty of water to help it work and afterwards to avoid getting constipated again along with plenty of fiber.
If you don't get relief from the laxatives in a day or two, I'd suggest you contact your doctor.

Bamalady74 Wed, Jan-29-03 19:30

The best solution I have found is to eat two carbo lite bars in a row, they act like a laxative (without the cramping). I only eat them when I am backed up and there are zero net carbs.
Actually did that today!
Bamalady74

LBDropper Wed, Jan-29-03 22:35

After you get "going" if you have more problems then you might want to try taking a pill laxative daily. You can start off with a small amount and go up to what you need to be regular.

yvonne326 Thu, Jan-30-03 07:35

Well, since Malitol really affects me (if you get my meaning :daze: ) I ate a whole carbolite choco-almond bar AND 1/2 of an Atkins Advantage Bar (glycerine tends to do this sometimes also) and guess what! I spent most of my evening in the BR LOL....and today I am down 2 lbs???? LOL....I doubt this will hold (the weight) but heck...I am so glad it is OVER :)

Thanks for your suggestions~! :wave:

Jenebug Thu, Jan-30-03 08:03

Yvonne
Malitol does the same thing to me I ate some of the Carbolite gummy bears and boy was I sorry :eek: I was in the bathroom all afternoon so needless to say I am not going to ever eat those again. Glad to hear your problem is solved.

vbrowne Thu, Jan-30-03 08:55

I drink a "diet" tea every evening, it's sometimes called "slimming tea" - comes in all sorts of flavours and does the trick.

Vikki

Skamito Thu, Jan-30-03 09:05

Glad your problem is solved... if only temporarily. Plus you got to enjoy sweets! ;)

I find caffeine (especially coffeeactually even DECAF coffee) will cause a trip to the bathroom.

I have a friend who quit this WOE due to this constipation. It's unfortunate. I hope everyong can get unbacked up. :D

DDMariana Thu, Jan-30-03 10:27

My morning coffee does the trick for me...and lots of fiber throughout the day in lettuce, greens, etc.

Make sure your FATS are up there...olive oil, butter...put it on everything! Sure helps balance the system!

:wave:

Howcross Thu, Jan-30-03 13:51

More fats, and try vitamin C instead of malitol next time. 1000 mg 4 to 5 times a day will eventually (in about 24 hours) get things realy going for me.

Lisa N Thu, Jan-30-03 15:21

Quote:
Originally posted by LBDropper
After you get "going" if you have more problems then you might want to try taking a pill laxative daily.

As I mentioned above, this is really not a habit that you want to get into. Taking laxatives daily, even under a physician's supervision, can lead to dependence on laxatives. In other words, after a while of doing this you won't be able to have a bowel movement without them. Occasional use of laxatives is fine and sometimes even necessary, but daily use of laxatives is rarely required.
If someone is getting enough fat, fluid and fiber, the need for a laxative should be very infrequent unless you are put on a medication that causes constipation such as some pain medications or have surgery that can sometimes temporarily slow down the movement of waste through the intestines. In that case, ask your doctor what they would recommend to either prevent or relieve the constipation.

tanzia77 Thu, Jan-30-03 15:57

Not to long ago I had a problem where I was lucky if I went every three to four days. My doctor suggested that I clean out my system because you should be going more than one time a day. Then I went and bought some herbal pills from the health food store that is used to do a cleanse. I used it for about a week and now its all clean and working wonderfully. Go at least once most times twice a day. They work really well and do not interfere with Atkins because they it is totally herbal.