Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   coconut oil to speed weight loss? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=232929)

Athena123 Mon, Feb-07-05 17:53

coconut oil to speed weight loss?

Has anyone tried this? I read an article in this week's Woman's World about how the oil boosts the metabolism and decided to give it a try since my weight loss has been very small despite my exercising at least 1.5 hours/ day and limiting my calories to an average of 2000 everyday. I went to my local Vitamin Shoppe and asked for the coconut oil as the article says to try health food stores for the oil. It was rather funny because the man who worked at the store said something along the lines of "Coconut oil?! What is it with coconut oil? People have been coming in here all morning for it! I just sold my last jar!" I explained to him that there was an article in a magazine about it boosting weight loss. He said the same thing happened a few years ago and the store ran out quickly then, too.
So, I was upset at not getting any oil, but decided to try my local grocery store (Shoprite for those in the NJ area). They had it in their health food aisle with the organic foods. I believe it was $6.59 for a 14 oz. jar. The article recommends using 2-3 tbsps of the oil daily. You can sautee your foods in it or use it as dressing along with spices over your salad- basically use it how you'd use any other cooking oil. It's solid at room temperature, so I guess you'd just nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it for salad dressing.
I figure I'll try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. The article says the best results come when you combine the oil with a low carb diet (makes sense because, like Dr. A said, fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do). I plan to use 2 tablespoons/day and I'm going to alter my menus and try to eat more chicken and turkey instead of of ground beef and other very fatty meats to make up for the extra calories in the oil. I'll report in to let anyone who's interested know how my scale likes the oil :) .

melissa Mon, Feb-07-05 20:33

Hi Athena123,
I would definitley like to know how you did with the coconut oil..I've heard a lot about it...keep me posted! :wave:

Athena123 Mon, Feb-07-05 23:43

I've been doing research about coconut oil tonight and found this posted in one of the google groups for alternative health--> Dr. Peat on coconut oil's benefits. It's pretty interesting.

brandieb Tue, Feb-08-05 12:08

really?!!!! interesting..

Zuleikaa Tue, Feb-08-05 14:37

Hasn't worked for anyone on the forum that I've heard. But it's great for your hair and skin when taken internally and externally.

xotcbabe Tue, Feb-08-05 15:10

is organic coconut oil okay to take?

patnaude12 Tue, Feb-08-05 17:42

Hi Athena123,

I also would love to hear your findings. I bought a jar and have never opened it, I forgot about it until I found your thread. Maybe I will also start taking a couple of tablespoons a day and try it out.

Carol :rose: :rose:

Zuleikaa Tue, Feb-08-05 20:05

Organic or virgin coconut oil is the best kind to atake. You should never take processed coconut oil.

patnaude12 Tue, Feb-08-05 20:27

Hi Y'All,

Mine is organic.

Carol :rose: :rose:

Athena123 Tue, Feb-08-05 23:18

Today was day 2 of using the oil. I haven't weighed yet because I don't expect much in 2 days. So far I've noticed that my face feels sort of warmer. Maybe that's the metabolism moving faster :lol: ? I also do feel like something is happening in my body- maybe it's more energy maybe it's weight loss. I'm not sure, but it's definitely a good, calming feeling. I'm liking this so far :) !
I have read some of the posts people who've used the oil made here in this forum. There really isn't as much as say for OoO or hoodia so I don't know what to conclude. I see that some people gave up on the coconut oil because it caused weight gain for them. Besides taking the oil, I'm not sure what other changes they made to their diets. I'd think you'd need to either subtract some food or add exercise, maybe even both, to really experience the oil's "magic". Say you were eating on average 1800 calories/day and then added 3 tbsp of oil to your daily menu. That would be a total of 2160 calories. You can't eat 360 more calories (3 tbsp coconut oil) in addition to what you were already eating and expect weight loss to happen faster. You're going to need to subtract calories somewhere in order to fit the oil into the plan. At least that's my thinking and that's what I've done the past 2 days. I have to admit I'd rather have a real beef hamburger over a ground turkey breast burger, but I'm willing to make the substitution in my foods if it means I'll break my stall.

P.S. This is a link to the oil I'm using ---> Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil

Athena123 Sat, Feb-12-05 12:01

Wanted to check in. I've been using the coconut oil for 5 days now and am down about 2lbs. I finally broke out of the 330s thank goodness! I dont know if it's an effect of the coconut oil, but I have noticed that my appetite is less and I'm not getting cravings to eat more meals than I should.

Stylus Sat, Feb-12-05 12:09

Would anyone know if canned coconut cream/milk (unsweetened - about 1 carb per 80ml would have a similar effect? I often add it to chicken or pork strips while stir-frying curry type meals and it adds lots of flavour. MMmmmm :p

Athena123 Tue, Feb-15-05 12:13

I just thought I'd let everyone know I stopped taking the coconut oil daily. It's hard trying to work 2 tablespoons into my meal preparations daily and I'm definitely not down with eating it by the spoonful. That just kind of skeeves me out eating a spoonful of grease. I decided that I'd just use it if I'm sauteing foods since it's going to be healthier than using most other oils. Hopefully I'll still get the benefits.

BabyPhat Thu, Feb-17-05 11:24

Have you thought about taking the capsules. I went to the healthfood store and I saw the solid, but opted to get the soft gels.. because I couldn't imagine "eating" coconut oil.. it just sounds really gross to me. My pills are pretty large, made from organic virgin coconut oil. Might not have the same effect or potency as the soild.. but I was willing to give it a try.

BabyPhat Tue, Feb-22-05 09:09

bump........