Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Caesarean babies have greater risk of obesity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=435605)

Zei Tue, Nov-22-11 00:18

I'm with RawNut that the diabetes/big babies leading to C-sections might have something to do with this study's results rather than just affects of the surgery itself/lack of normal delivery on the infant. I had very large big babies due to gestational diabetes even while it was medically treated. These would have been C-sections had I been only an average sized woman. So perhaps the association found between a C-section delivery and fat infant is really the associations among a diabetic pregnancy, big infant delivered C-section and the affects of maternal diabetes on the infant's health.

walnut Tue, Nov-22-11 11:28

big baby doesnt need to equate c-section

i know someone who birthed a 14 lb baby vaginally. <shrug> she didnt have gest diabetes, just big babies. her other two kids were 12 and 10 lbs.

sexym2 Tue, Nov-22-11 12:36

WOw, those are big babies! My biggest weight 8lbs 8oz and she came out stick thin. She actually broke her clavical coming out. Later the dr. said she should have been C-section. Broken clavicals is a fairly commen thing in birthing, I didn't see the problem. She wasn't too big, I didn't dialate enough when she was coming and she was coming weather I liked it or not. My next child was 2 oz lighter, just as skinny, and he didn't have any problems, I was ready that time.

They now say, anything over 9 lbs should come out my c-section. I can see there concern, but gestational diabeties and bigger babies is becoming normal. Maybe they should find something to fix the problem, not just sweep it under the "baby blanket".

RawNut Tue, Nov-22-11 14:41

My father weighed 13 lbs and was a natural birth. People can have big babies but now-a-days doctors usually schedule c-sections for babies that big or high-risk pregnancies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
Maybe they should find something to fix the problem, not just sweep it under the "baby blanket".

This..

sexym2 Tue, Nov-22-11 15:44

I'm just saying the dr.s are jumping to conclusions. At one time, babies, majority of, were more like 6-7 lbs. I'm sure there are some naturally large babies, but many are from mothers with gestational diabeates or obese mothers who's babies tend to be obese also (not necessarily though).

RawNut Tue, Nov-22-11 15:59

Maybe it didn't look like it but I was agreeing with you. :)

We could test this by taking a few hours to shove newborn Cesarean babies through a small hole after injecting them with oxytocin and see if they grow up any skinnier. On second thought, we should probably use monkeys first.

sexym2 Tue, Nov-22-11 16:27

In that case, sorry :lol: I thought you were defending your fathers birth size as being normal and its ok. It is ok, if its truly his "natural" and healthy weight. I just hate to see over weight babies and so many c-sections that goes along with it.

LilyB Tue, Nov-22-11 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Maybe it didn't look like it but I was agreeing with you. :)

We could test this by taking a few hours to shove newborn Cesarean babies through a small hole after injecting them with oxytocin and see if they grow up any skinnier. On second thought, we should probably use monkeys first.

I vote for using Vegans, instead... ;)

LilyB Tue, Nov-22-11 16:47

I'm just wondering if they checked the livers of the newborns at, say... their one month checkups? I bet they didn't...

So we cannot know if the liver enzymes regulated themselves in 72 hours and all the babies became indistinguishable, can we?

RawNut Wed, Nov-23-11 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyB
I vote for using Vegans, instead... ;)

Sadly, they'd probably happily donate their babies to research if it meant saving an animal.

sexym2 Wed, Nov-23-11 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Sadly, they'd probably happily donate their babies to research if it meant saving an animal.

Ouch!!! :blush: :blush: :clap:

RawNut Wed, Nov-23-11 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
Ouch!!! :blush: :blush: :clap:

Thanks! I needed a laugh! :yay: :there:

shannone10 Wed, Nov-23-11 20:47

OK, so while we are on the subject, what terrible things will my kids have to live in dread of because I chose not to breast-feed?

sexym2 Wed, Nov-23-11 21:22

Thats an intresting question too, I don't think they will ever be able to answer that one.

My oldest, was a total formula baby, my second I breast fed till she was 6 months old, I was drying up, fine with me! My third I breast fed till he was 3 months, I had to have an operation, so I weaned him. I hate pumping and he took right to the bottle. Did I effect there growth by how I fed them? Keep in mind, my first was the c-section baby and a formula baby. He will be 13 in 3 weeks, tall and skinny. Some how, I have tought him to not stuff himself, and whats healthy, but he's a kid, he'll eat the good stuff too. But, he's probably the healthiest of all 3 of my children. My youngest is my "sickly baby," if he gets a fever, its going to be high (103.+) and going to last a week. My daughter gets something, its over in a few days and barely slows her down. My oldest very seldom gets anything, and it doesnt last long.

I don't think any one thing at birthing or breast feeding, or not, is going to change that much. I could see if you fed you kid cows milk( they did that long ago, alot of tummy upset, diahrea and upset babies) then there may be a corrolation going on.

Karhys Wed, Nov-23-11 22:38

Anastasia over at PrimalMedEd has done a couple of interesting posts about breastfeeding vs bottle and related topics:

http://primalmeded.com/2011/06/23/breastfeeding-i/
http://primalmeded.com/2011/06/26/l...ance-in-babies/
http://primalmeded.com/2011/07/13/g...other-nonsense/

I'm not a mother so I can't weigh in nor make any sort of judgement calls -- I just found her articles interesting and food for thought.