Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Turtle Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   My Story - the short version (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=411711)

Moonrise Wed, May-05-10 20:21

My Story - the short version

I lost nothing the first 4 months I low carbed. I was on Atkins, weighed all my food, kept calorie counts, exercised = nada, nothing, zip, zero - didn't lose a single pound. For 4! Whole! Months! I weighed every day, too, to get a weekly average.

Anyway, after a year of Atkins I got tired of being obsessed with counting everything, tired of being obsessed with what I ate, tired of being obsessed with being obsessed, even though I had lost some weight and was feeling great. I was sleeping better, feeling far perkier, had a lot more stamina, etc. So I switched to modified Paleo.

Paleo was (and is, though I'm not currently doing Paleo) perfect for me. I could eat without worrying about how much or counting carbs, I could go out to dinner and eat freely without worrying whether or not a spoonful of corn was allowed or not, it was fab.

Four years later, before I deliberately left lc'ing (I chose wine and cake over losing my sanity)(I'm not kidding), I discovered I'd lost about 60lbss. Most of the time I was in one stall or another, and nothing I tried really shifted anything significantly, I'd just go back to my weight loss crawl. I have PCOS , so that's where I lay the blame. Oh, and genes, too, natch.

Then we moved countries and I rediscovered bread from the amazing bakery in town. With the help of Science, and after nearly 9 years, I got pregnant and had my son. And was doing fine until poverty hit, wherein I remembered how cheap wheat, my nemesis, is. Cue pasta, mac and cheese, and pizza for dinner. 20lbs later and I'm back on the lc tip.

And that's my story,

M

chermac Wed, May-05-10 20:35

Isn't it interesting that the wheat-based products are so cheap to buy, yet some of us pay such a huge physical price when they're the bulk of our diet.
Congratulations on rejoining the lc side, and huge congrats on your son.

donnellyk Wed, May-05-10 21:52

Hi Moonrise, just wanted to say congrats on your son and sorry to hear of your recent economical struggles...

I don't have as much weight to lose but struggled like you on the 2002 DANDR...have stayed at only 6 pounds lost at almost 3 months...

I briefly looked at paleo, could you remind me of food choices on it? Isn't it primarily meat? I just ordered the original Atkin's book thinking that keeping it simple may jumpstart me...good luck, keep us posted!

Moonrise Thu, May-06-10 20:42

Y'know what I realized after I'd posted the above? That I was only 40lbs from goal when I last stalled. Of course, I was stalled for about a year, but still...if only I'd realized!

As for paleo, the "rules" are the following:

EAT:

meat
fish
non-starchy veggies (all leafy greens, most squash, broccoli, cauli, brussels, etc)
fruit
honey
maple syrup
maple sugar

AVOID:

starchy veggies (peas, beans, corn, potatoes, etc)
all grains (ymmv)
processed foods (things in boxes, mostly)
processed drinks (things in cans and plastic, soda,etc)
non-fermented soy products (traditionally made items such as natto and miso are okay, I think)(possibly)

EAT IF YOU CAN TOLERATE:

Dairy (staunch paleo's say dairy is a no-no, but hunter-gatherers still make and eat yogurt and cheese and butter if they have milk animals and store milk where it can curdle)
legumes (I can handle Puy/French lentils, but not the red or orange ones)
nuts

EAT OCCASIONALLY:
chocolate
sweet root veg (beets, parsnips, carrot)

And that's it. I ate more veggies being paleo than I did when I was a vegetarian. No, really! You don't have to count carbs or calories unless you wish to. I didn't and was much happier about it. I found I could eat sweet root veggies as if they were a dessert - sweet potatoes practically made me fall into a coma, though. Heck, they still do, and are really treats for me. Ditto for beets.

Hope that helps!

M

donnellyk Thu, May-06-10 21:14

Thanks Moonrise for the concise paleo info, and for the reminder that I'm somewhat close to my target weight, that made me feel better...it's a struggle to see so little changes with such a BIG change in my eating habits...I think dairy and nuts are bringing me down...and I've been craving fruit tonight too!!! :)