Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   CAD/CALP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   CAD/CALP Stallers/Weight Gain (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=117457)

Zuleikaa Tue, Jun-24-03 17:46

CAD/CALP Stallers/Weight Gain

CAD/CALP is not Atkins with a RM!! There is a very delicate chemical balance on CAD/CALP to keep your insulin under control, the RM working and you losing weight.

Any one of these can cause you to stall, crave and/or gain weight.

1. Eating more than 4 times a day.
2. Drinking coffee with cream and/or AS more than once a day outside your RM or taking more than 15 minutes to drink that once a day coffee with cream and/or AS.
3. Eating too much cheese at CMs--more than 2 ounces.
4. Artificial sugar during the day or at CM.
5. Diet Soda during the day outside your RM.
6. LC recipes or lc products during CM.
7. Exceeding 4 carbs per CM exclusive of listed foods.
8. Too much fat at CMs.
9. Hidden carbs/sugars, fillers.
10. Using net carb theory.
11. Atkins allowed vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
12. Vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
13. Trigger foods at CM--MSG, broccoli, green/red peppers, cottage cheese, onions, AS, pork rinds.
14. Allergen/sensitive foods at CM/RM-- sugar, wheat, dairy, cheese, eggs.
15. Not enough protein. Try for at least 12 ounces.
16. Flavored waters.
17. Salad dressings with more than 2 carbs per serving.
18. Nuts, bars, shakes, mock danish, pork rinds.
19. Unbalanced, wildly unbalanced, or carb binging RMs.
20. Gum and breath mints.
21. SF Metamucil or fiber outside CM/RM.
22. Exceeding the 60 minute RM rule by even a few minutes.

For some, all of these will cause problems. For some, some of them will. It's a very individual thing. For the first three weeks of CAD/CALP, I suggest avoiding them all.

Hey CADers, did I forget anything?

angel506cl Tue, Jun-24-03 18:41

Looks like you got them all to me, Zuleika! The ones that were the toughest for me to give up were the diet pop and SF gum. They were also the last things I gave up. . .so if there are new people out there. . .avoid gum and pop! It's not worth it!

Keep on, all!!!

stephy Tue, Jun-24-03 19:27

thanks zuleika! i was so depressed that i gained a pound and a half (although i know sometimes weight gain can happen when i do everything correctly) that i binged like crazy over the weekend and today. :( i read the CAD book and was STILL making these mistakes. thanks again for posting!

Vel Wed, Jun-25-03 08:23

Looks good to me!

that is a very thorough list, Zuleikaa. I can't think of anything to add.

I sure had trouble with some of those myself.... the cheese at CM's - I gave that up entirely and it made a big difference, the mock danish was DEADLY for me, all my cravings and crazy food obsession came right back when I had it for breakfast.

I also had to give up diet pop at CM's and learn to be careful about the 15 minutes for my coffee.

All of this was a learning experience and took time to figure out what worked for me. Each time I had to modify or give something up it was painful. I felt I was already doing enough and that should be it! But, after I would make the change, I usually wouldn't even miss the item after a short time. Now, it mostly comes automatically to me, but I know there will be more to learn as I go along.

I love CAD :)

:wave: Tracy

Peabug Wed, Jun-25-03 12:54

This has totally turned on a light for me. When I started CAD in January I thought I could do Atkins-style during the day with the reward meal at night. In my caffeine-deprived brain I figured since I was watching carbs during the day I should be fine. I'm just now realizing that the fat I was taking in during the day (because I was doing Atkins) totally backfired on me when I got the carbs into my system from the RM.

I've just finished up induction for the second time and am still missing some of my favorite foods. I also miss that reward meal! I think I'm going to re-read my CAD book (for the *third* time! agh!) and see how I feel about it.

Question about the fiber, though -- does that include fiber pills? Should I just take those before I eat a CM?

Zuleikaa Wed, Jun-25-03 13:07

Yep. Some people would say the fiber will bind up some vitamins but you have to take it with food. Without food, a CAs body considered it another meal.

Peabug Wed, Jun-25-03 13:12

Very good to know! Thanks, Z!

Polly3376 Thu, Jun-26-03 04:14

Wow what a great list!! .. I'm going to really study it .. what interests me is that eggs & cheese are listed as possible allergens...is there a test for this or do we need to eliminate them one by one until weigt loss starts ??

Zuleikaa Thu, Jun-26-03 04:37

I you have a food you're allergic/sensitive to, you'll know it. Headaches, nausea, bloat, dizzyness, cravings, mental fogginess, gas, diarrhea, heartburn and other unpleasant symptoms.

Polly3376 Thu, Jun-26-03 16:32

Ok....makes sense I'm not experiencing any of these symptom but I'll keep an eye out. :D

delilah Thu, Jun-26-03 17:22

*le sigh*

Thanks for posting this!

I'm really stuck around 241. The only things I've been doing very differently has been having coffee and cream in the morning when I'm hungry, and having a slab of cheese (about 2 oz) at CM.

Time to leave out the cheese...

lowco Fri, Jun-27-03 16:31

cm's

hi,

this week i made my own salad dressing ,with olive oil & vinegar and stop having breakfast, and no sweetners for cm.

i now drink allot of water in the mornings, sometimes even warmed, and have one cm at noon & rm. I eat nothing until noon. I must say i have noticed

1) less hungry for cm and rm.....i can actually wait for the food to cook instead of grabing what is easy
2) stoped binging during rm, i eat enough. I feel like i can save food for the next RM instead of treating each cm like it's my last meal.

It is worth giving up the sweetners, which i think was my problem. i would have coffee and a healthy cm and i would be hungry long before lunch. Then at 3 pm , 3 hours after my second cm. Then i start craving for my rm.
Now i eat nothing before noon and i feel hungry about 11.30 am. After my first cm.......i do not feel hungry......i just have an rm but i am not craving it like before. i want it, yes but i can wait for it.

this is my 3rd day fasting before noon ,i lost 3 pound overnight.....!!!! i gained that 5 pounds a 2 week's before TOM everymonth and it's good to see 3 of them drop them drop a week before tom. I hope this continue. i can't describe how i feel this is real freedom!!!!

angel506cl Fri, Jun-27-03 20:51

CAD is amazing! I have noticed some of the same things over time. I have slowly begun to think of my RM as just another meal. . .not a huge binge. I used to think I was starving for it, now I have to think and think before anything really sounds good.

What amazes me is the things I have given up over time. I was a pop-aholic. I loved Dr. Pepper! I thought I would die without it. Now I only drink it if I am going out for dinner. . .not at home. If someone would've told me I would give it up and not miss it a year ago, I would've thought them crazy.

Anyway. . .for new CADers out there. . .just slowly ease yourself away from your addictions. . .if I can do it, anyone can! I am actually in control and loving it!!!

Maribet Sat, Jun-28-03 00:51

:bhug: thanks Zuleikaa for this info.

I am starting from scratch again to see if I can get out of this stall I am in.

I have your list of things to try taped to my fridge.

This forum is such a big help. I check the messages regularly and often find just the advice I need at that time.

krausefami Thu, Jul-10-03 14:46

cad

Hello,

this is my first post. I've been on the cad since April and have lost about 8 pounds. I'm getting very discouraged.

I didn't know you couldn't drink diet pop during the day. I thought they said you could, and also, I keep hearing that during the reward meal, that you can eat as much as you want but have to have more of everything. That you can't just have more potatoes. Is that true? I've been looking at my book trying to find out where it says that.

I drink black coffee alot. I don't have to limit that do I? but maybe I should stop drinking the diet pop during the day. So also you're not supposed to eat more then 2 oz of cheese and the cm?

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

Zuleikaa Thu, Jul-10-03 17:01

Some of the information came out in CALP, the book after CAD. The information about the diet soda is there. You don't have to limit the black coffee if you drink it without sweetener. If you drink it with sweetener, you are limited to one outside your RM and it has to be drunk within 15 minutes.

The balance thing of going back for more of everything is in both CALP and the new edition CAD.

You shouldn't eat more than 2 oz. of cheese at CM is in CAD on page 114 and in CALP.

Why don't you print out the cheat sheet and stall list and post them where needed and easily referenced. I'm sure they'll help get you back on the right track.

Good luck!!

kokle Thu, Jul-24-03 11:44

I am new on this board, but not to CALP. I was wondering where this list at the top of the thread came from? Is it from one of the Heller's books or is it something more derived from personal experience? Or a combination of the two? I was wondering. I have looked in the CALP book and have not found restrictions of allowed foods, as long as normal portions are eaten (ie 4 g of carbs per CM)(#7 on the list). I think that restriction may have been in the CAD book. The Heller's say: (on page 118 of CALP) "the size and proportions of your Craving-Reducing meals are up to you" They do advise to keep to normal proportions and eat more if still hungry. This applies for the allowed proteins and allowed veggies. Dairy, vegetarian, and some condiiments have restrictions in quantity.

They also say in Chpt 4 that the resriction of fats should be determined by a person's dr.

Also, on page 118, the Heller's say a person is free to have a CM snack, I don't see a restriction on number of CM-type meals (re: #1 on the list).

I was just wondering about this.

joizienew Sat, Jul-26-03 08:29

I really enjoy bouncing around and reading all the posts. I am new to this and trying to learn all I can. My problem with this is that people use initials and symbols to represent so many things as if everyone is familiar with these meanings, which I am not. When typing a long post, why is it necessary to use CM or other representations that are totally meaningless to some of us? I run accross so many of these that I lose interest and just sign off. Sorry if I sound bitchy, but I needed to get this off my chest. :confused:

kokle Sat, Jul-26-03 18:12

Joyce

A CM is the complementary meal. It is the LC veggie and protein meal.

A RM is the Reward Meal. It is the LC veggie, protein and carb meal.

AS is artificial sweeteners.

LC is low-carb.

CAD is carbohydrate addicts diet
CALP is a newer form taken from Carohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program.

I don't know what other abbreviations you don't understand.

joizienew Sat, Jul-26-03 18:28

Thank you Ilse, it was nice of you to take the time to explain for me. Thanks again

Zuleikaa Sat, Jul-26-03 19:58

There's a list of abbreviations at Low Carb Tibs in the header at the top of the page.

When you're posting a lot or talking to an audience that's familiar with the lingo it's easier to use the abbreviations. When I know someone is unfamiliar I usually give the definitions for the abbreviations.

joizienew Sun, Jul-27-03 07:39

Thanks Zu, I am learning so much since in started here, I am really enjoying my visits here and posting replies. Thanks again. Joyce

Sveinne Sun, Aug-03-03 03:51

Good info....thanks!

retrogirl Fri, Aug-08-03 20:53

stalls

There is one on the stall list I have a question about. From everything I have read green peppers are on the craving reducing list and not considered a stall or reason for weight gain.

Zuleikaa Sat, Aug-09-03 06:04

It's an individual thing. Some people react with intense cravings to peppers, especially the red, orange and yellow ones.

Sngbrd45 Sat, Aug-16-03 20:54

I've been skipping around and reading a lot of the CAD/CALP journals some of you here have and in a few of the threads too and have just about decided to go to the CALP after seeing so many of your successes. I was on a similar version of it in early July before starting Atkins in mid July...I lost more noticably on it maybe because you lose more at the start but I was more satisfied on it too and feel I've got to make a change. I've really had a bad 2 days wanting things I can't have and being extra nervous/moody. What do all of you think? Should I stick it out on Atkins or change? I have not read my copy of CALP lately but I can get back into it easily(I also have copies of Protien Power, Curves, Neanderthin, Atkins'NDR&Atkins'FL & also Eat More&Weigh Less books...all LC). I chose to change to Atkins because a friend was going to be doing it too but she hasn't started yet and may never do anything. I gained 2 lbs eating nothing extra in the last 5 days and can't understand it either. I am very LC motivated and do not cheat, if anything I'm too hard on myself and have cut carbs to way under 20 almost the whole time too. Twice I had 23carbs... and 3 days I did the moderate fat fast last week. I drink all my water + every day,no colas,shakes...nada. Yet my weight loss stayed the same rate really till this week...now I'm gaining! I started walking/exercising 3 weeks ago and have done more each week. I had cancer almost 6 yrs ago now and all my female organs are gone so there is no TOM to visit either in case that thought came to mind. I know there are stalls but just feel that I'm going to loose my motivation if I go backwards instead of forwards right now. Please help me decide.
Needing input, Pat

joizienew Sun, Aug-17-03 06:44

Sngbrd, I can understand your frustration because you are doing a wonderful job at eating correctly. I am wondering if the increase in exercise is not affecting your weight loss. If you are building muscle you may still be losing fat but that won't show on the scale as weight loss. Just a thought, please don't get discouraged, get mad, use that energy to exercise more. As for changing diets, I don't know what to say. I don't follow any one strictly, I kind of mix things up. Have faith that you will reach your goals, but maybe not in the time frame you desire.

Zuleikaa Sun, Aug-17-03 06:58

It could be that you're building muscle. It could be that Atkins doesn't suit you. The story you're relating is familiar to many CAD/CALPers. Take the test and see what your results are. You need to find a program that suits you and you can stick with for life. These are not meant to be short term fixes but life long programs.

Good luck.

Zuleikaa Sun, Aug-17-03 07:11

Kokle
Sorry I missed your questions way back somehow. I always think that CAD/CALP books should be read together. There is a lot of information that is in one and not in the other. CAD explains the chemistry and the diet plan very well, while CAD skims the diet plan and goes into fine tuning.

The restrictions on the number of times you can eat a day is in CAD on page 109, the serving sizes are on page 112, restriction of fat is on page 206.

The others on the list are a combination of CAD, CALP and personal experience.

Sngbrd45 Mon, Aug-18-03 11:36

Thanks for the input. I'm still not sure which way I'll go. I am still at that same 4 pound gain but seem to be stabilized at it now at least.
Are you refering to the original CAD book or a revised newer edition? I only have the CALP book so I will look for the CAD tomorrow at Wal-Marts when I go since you suggest having both.
Pat