Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   LC Foods in UK Supermarkets (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=34311)

hev Wed, May-28-03 04:21

Hey ecco66,
I love pepperami sticks how many carbs do they have? :yum:

ecco66 Wed, May-28-03 11:44

Well Hev, be prepared to be very pleased :)

Carb values per stick:

Peperami regular (green) = 0.4g

Peperami spicy (red) = 0.6g

I munch on a couple each day as mid morning and mid afternoon snacks washed down with big glasses of water!

hawx Wed, May-28-03 16:51

:thup: Yes you can buy splenda at tescos

hev Thu, May-29-03 01:38

ecco66,
WOOHOO I love those I can't believe the carb count, thats so low.
And the best thing about that is that I am the only one in my family who likes them! YEAH! :yay:

Avlev Thu, May-29-03 08:24

Hey all
Thanks so much for all the info. Really, really helpful!
As Sainsbury's is my local, was just wondering if there's any conclusions about the best/lowest carb sausages they have...
Thanks- I'm new to the whole lc thing! :)

Kahena Thu, May-29-03 09:11

Yoghurt

The latest addition to my low-carb diet is Unsweetened Natural Bio Yoghurt :-)

I add splenda, berries and seeds for a delicious breakfast.

Helen UK
148/134/126-130

Avlev Sat, May-31-03 04:15

I'm also a bit worried about some of the carb counts of cheese that i've read. All the hard cheeses I see seem to have 0.1g of carbs per 100g. Is this possible? Does that mean i can have loads of cheddar??

LisaUK Sat, May-31-03 09:38

If you're on Induction you can have up to 4 oz of hard cheese per day. Cheddar is fine! It's 'whey' cheeses that you avoid on Induction - ricotta and cottage cheese are two examples.

chicken Thu, Jun-05-03 06:56

Sainsbury's pumpkin seeds

Hi all.
I think Reena has mentioned Sainsbury's roasted pumpkin seeds. I tried them, they're great. and 55 g pack only has .9 g. of carbs, according to the label. it is strange though, because pumpkin seeds are known to have much higher carb count.
can anybody explain this? I want to believe that label, because they do taste quite delicious.

thanks.

longsox Tue, Jun-10-03 14:01

Caesar Salad Dressing

Hi all,

Found this dressing tonight in my local Tesco. Had it as a Caesar Salad minus the croutons.

Cardini's The Original Caesar Dressing - Bottle size 370ml

No preservatives
No MSG Added

Nutrition Information

Amounts per 100g

Energy 2345kj/560kcal

Protein 2g

Carbohydrate 2g
of which........
Sugars nil g
poloyols nil g
starch nil g

Fat
of which.......
Saturates 10g
mono-unsaturates 14.5g
polyunsaturates 35.0g
cholesterol 0.128g

Fibre nil g

Sodium 0.830g

Let me just say it was delicious over chicken with mixed salad leaves and parmesan shavings - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum!!

fern Tue, Jun-10-03 14:33

:wave: Sounds good to me , Iwill have to look for that at my Tesco Cheers

melody 1 Thu, Jun-19-03 12:11

Hi Rey, I saw Splenda in sainsbury's last night, but the candarel was lower. Also found no added sugar instant dessert in Asda, I believe its nice in shakes, or with cream. Sainsbury's also had silken tofu, on the shelves, not in the refrigerated section, think it was near the dried beans. It keeps for ages, so is handy to have in. Again, good source of protein, in shakes, or marinaded and kebabbed. Morningstar meat free "bacon strips" are tasty, as are quorn sausages, asda and sainsbury's. Looking forward to trying the creamy peppercorn sauce and blue dragon stir fry. This is an excellent forum, thanks

longsox Thu, Jun-19-03 14:53

Sainsburys Low Carb Sausages

At Sainsbury their own brand organic sausages work out at 3.5 carbs for the entire 6 in the pack. So divide the total carbs and its under a carb per sausage!!!!!! Not bad going and they taste delicious. I went through their entire range reading the back of the packets and these were the lowest carb count I could find. They are £1.99 for six -so pricey I think, but worth it as they taste soooo good.

Also in the baking section there is cocoa powder for baking. Ive used this added to whipped cream with a dash of vanilla essence - (0 carbs from Sainsbury) with a teaspoon of slenda to make a chocolate mousse. You can be a little wild with the cocoa as the whole tub is 10 carbs and you dont need much to make a really gorgeous tasting chocolate mousse like creation!! Try it - you will think you have died and gone to heaven believe me!!

Longsox

SylviaUK Sat, Jun-21-03 11:00

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it worth adding here: Splenda is available in Superdrug at £2.19 for a large jar.

Also, I found macadamia nuts in Tescos, but in the baking aisle rather than with the snacks. £1.49 for 100g.

Great thread, it's given me lots of ideas :D

melody 1 Tue, Jun-24-03 10:44

Hi everyone

Just been to Holland and Barrett, they have a half price sale at the mo, and the protein powders are £11 compared with £23, and is absolutely huge, coming in 3 flavours. I have no appetite at the moment (is that really me) and breakfast is making me nauseous, so I am hoping to whip up something in the blender. Also bought chromium picolinate tablets (involved in fat and glucose metabolism), soya milk (unsweetened) and best of all "green and blacks" organic dark chocolate. A 20g bar by my reckoning is 9 carbs, bargain if you need a choc fix, and the darkness of it, makes it very satisfying. Also invested in some soya flour and ground almonds for that all important thickening and breadcrumbing thang. Get down there!!

Since June 1st, 11 pounds........... 3 weeks to fit into 3 pairs of trousers that would not look at me before. YEAH!!!!!!