Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Muffins - The Best Flax Muffins in the World (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47845)

nicksmom Fri, Feb-07-03 19:16

Thanks Penelope! This is on my list to make this weekend, whilst everyone else is munching on Krispy Kreme donuts! LOL

bellaluna Sat, Feb-15-03 22:53

Hi everybody

I just made these and must say they taste great. Does anybody find them dry though? It may just be me, prior to this woe I did not cook. Is it possible that I left them in too long and they dryed out. Is the mix tempermental that way? I only had whipping cream, could that be the problem?

Grendeldog Sun, Feb-16-03 17:04

Wow, these are great! I used Designer Whey's French Vanilla for the protein powder/shake mix. Surprisingly sweet, but definitely in a good way ... they weren't too sweet, and there was no significant splenda aftertaste.

Bellaluna, they seemed quite moist to me.

Catmom Sun, Feb-23-03 16:35

Love this recipe. To keep carbs down I have started using DaVinci vanilla syrup instead of splenda. It makes the muffins puff up a lot like popovers. Very moist and very good.

Javamama Mon, Feb-24-03 14:15

re: flax muffins

Hi!
I was thankful to see a recipe with flax. I bought some already ground and was not sure what to do with it. I "tweeked" your recipe, because I did not have flavored protein powder, I had plain powder. That batter seemed very dry, so I added more cream. I was not sure if the batter should have been that dry...was it? And I only added a 1/4 C. of splenda. I just ate one hot out of the oven with butter....very good! :thup: Thanks for posting that recipe. Angie :wave:

pegva Fri, Feb-28-03 12:53

Where do you get almond flour/meal? or do you make it?

pegva Sat, Mar-01-03 12:51

OH MY GOD! but alittle concerned...

Okay, just made these (2 batches in fact) and they were terrific!
I made mine with Keto Orange Creme shake mix (only kind I had) and boy are they good. Can't wait to try different flavors.
My only concern is:
I put the recipe into Mastercook, the exact ingredients you had (except using orange flavor shake instead of vanilla). Mastercook tells me there are 24 gr carbs minus 7 gr fiber still leaves 17 gr. carbs!? Am I missing something??
How did you come up with 5.5 gr. carbs??

Laura-Lyn Sun, Mar-02-03 20:33

How much davinci syrup?

Catmom,
how much davinci syrup did you use to equal 1/2 cup of splenda? Did it make things too runny?

tammay Mon, Mar-03-03 14:14

I can't wait to try these! I've been looking for a quick breakfast that I can freeze for the rest of the week and have been dying to try flax seed meal.

One question - would any vanilla flavored protien shake mix work with this? I have a whey-based one at home which is just taking up space in my cupboard.

Tam

pegva Mon, Mar-03-03 14:40

YUP

I would say "YES"... any kind of shake mix, protein powder or whey powder!
As I said I even tried Orange Creme flavored Shake mix and they were GREAT!

Catmom Thu, Mar-06-03 10:36

On the DaVinci substitution - I substitute an equal amount of syrup for the splenda. The recipe is a bit thinner but when it cooks it becomes almost a popover in consistency - not quite as hollow as a popover but with a few pockets in the interior and very puffed up. Actually I like it better than the original recipe and it really saves in carbs.

Laura-Lyn Thu, Mar-06-03 13:32

Got ahead of myself!

lol! I was so enthusiastic about trying this that I mixed up a batch and pre-heated my oven. Only then did I realize that my boyfriend doesn't seem to own a muffin tray. I guess the batter will have to sit in the fridge while I go out muffin tray shopping.

Laura-Lyn Mon, Mar-10-03 12:24

Yummy!

Well the muffins turned out delicious. I used 1/4c davinci white chocolate syrup, 1/8c splenda, 1/8c brown sugartwin. My DH thought they had a nasty AS after-taste, but I didn't notice any. He seems to be sensitive to that taste no matter which AS I use. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about him eating all my LC treats!

pegva Tue, Mar-11-03 09:25

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Laura-Lyn
...He seems to be sensitive to that taste no matter which AS I use.

If he's like my DH, it's probably in his head... he believes if it's not real sugar... it doesn't taste right.

nicksmom Thu, Mar-13-03 09:51

Has anyone run these numbers thru Fitday to see how many carbs they have per serving?