PDA

View Full Version : Some doctos recommend Atkins diet to patients and themselves

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:39
Thursday, April 17, 2003

Arguing over Atkins

Traditional diet and exercise or the no-carb system? Doctors and dieters debate

By BARBARA KORNBLUH

Special to The Daily Journal

Atkins dieters don't have it easy.

They can't pig out on bread, pastas, rice and most fruit.

They're forced to improvise (read: take the hot dog out, and throw away the bun) when they get hungry on the road.

And then there are all the questions from friends and family: Isn't that unhealthy? Don't you miss eating bread and fruits? Aren't you worried the diet will raise your cholesterol?

But not all medical professionals sniff at the famous dietary plan created decades ago by Dr. Robert Atkins.

Local Atkins dieters have a friend in Dr. Charles Mintz, a Millville physician. In spite of his small frame, he has been on the diet for years.

"The Atkins diet is really a way of life for me and my family," said Mintz, 64. "I was reluctant to try it, but have been on it for the past 25 years."

Mintz has never been overweight and doesn't have any serious health issues.

Fact is, he loves eating steak, chicken and turkey smothered in sauteed onions. And he doesn't miss stuffed baked potatoes, gooey iced cakes or ice cream sundaes.

The Atkins diet sets few limits on the amounts of food dieters can eat. Instead, it restricts the types of food eaten.

Starches -- such as potatoes, breads and crackers -- are limited or restricted, while dieters can have unlimited amounts of red meat, eggs and cheese -- foods typically off limits in other diets. Atkins claims his diet, if followed closely, will result in weight loss and improved memory and energy levels. Dieters also will find their appetite greatly reduced, too, according to Atkins.

Mintz agrees.

"At one time, I ate a diet filled with junk food just like everyone else," he said. "But today I have more energy and stamina than I did when I was a lot younger. My lipids are good and so is my general health."

His interest in the diet started when his wife, Rina, investigated the diet years ago.

A skeptical Mintz bypassed Atkins' famous book and went right to the source to get his questions answered.

"I told Rina we would try the diet only if we could meet the well-known doctor and learn more about the plan," Mintz said. "And I discovered that it in fact makes lots of sense. Our entire lives changed."

He said Rina's moods improved.

"Shortly into the plan Rina started waking up earlier and experienced more energy," Mintz said. "The extra pounds peeled off, and we both had (fewer) colds."

Mintz said Atkins dieters feel the difference it makes getting rid of the carbohydrates and refined sugars so common in American diets these days.

"Most people want to eat what they see on TV," Mintz said. "That means a diet filled with sugar and empty calories. Once my patients go on a modified Atkins diet for two weeks, they not only lose weight, but have a special twinkle in their eye because they experience progress and generally feel much better."

Dieters adjust to meals filled with red meat, shellfish, cheeses, chicken and turkey usually prepared with mayonaise, butter or oils.

But not everyone agrees with the plan.

Registered dietician Cheryl Ann Macellaro, a member of The Daily Journal's Food Advisory Board, thinks the diet lacks variety -- a problem that makes it nearly impossible to stick to.

"The bottom of the food pyramid is off limits," she said. "That means no breads, cereals and starches. And lots of fruits and even milk are out of the picture.

"A good healthy diet still comes down to watching portion sizes, cooking heart healthy, watching caloric intake and getting physically active," Macellaro added. "If people would follow these steps we would not have an obesity epidemic in America."

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/news/stories/20030417/localnews/130174.html

ulua
Sat, Apr-19-03, 14:38

Registered dietician Cheryl Ann Macellaro, a member of The Daily Journal's Food Advisory Board, thinks the diet lacks variety -- a problem that makes it nearly impossible to stick to.

:D
These "dieticians" crack me up. I am beginning to think this profession attracts nitwits.

cc48510
Sat, Apr-19-03, 15:22
"The bottom of the food pyramid is off limits," she said. "That means no breads, cereals and starches. And lots of fruits and even milk are out of the picture.

I don't find myself missing it. I have only had 2 of the 4 items she lists within the last 8-10 years. I haven't drunk dairy milk since about the early 90s, and haven't had cereal since the mid-90s. I do drink unsweetened soy milk, though.

As far as bread and potatoes go...I do occassionaly still enjoy matzo ball soup. Matzo has slightly less carbs than white bread, and doesn't cause me as many cravings. I also from time-to-time will have a side of Hash Browns at Breakfast. Both of these can be added back during OWL and Pre-Maintance (in moderation) if you can handle it.

I can handle small amounts of potatoes or non-white bread. I already know I can't handle a double order of smoothered fries (80g), but that I can eat an occasional side of Hash browns (22g) or Mashed Potatoes (32g), or a Bowl of Matzo Ball soup (15g) without being knocked out of Ketosis. I just can't have them all at once.

"A good healthy diet still comes down to watching portion sizes, cooking heart healthy, watching caloric intake and getting physically active," Macellaro added. "If people would follow these steps we would not have an obesity epidemic in America."

Obviously, she has looked at the USDA's charts...because caloric and fat consumption have decreased over the last 30 years, while obesity has skyrocketed. So, what has increased ? Sugar and other refined carb consumption.

bvtaylor
Mon, May-19-03, 17:18
"Shortly into the plan Rina started waking up earlier and experienced more energy," Mintz said. "The extra pounds peeled off, and we both had (fewer) colds."

I can absolutely agree with the above statement. Since I started on this diet, my energy level has gone way up. I wake up about an hour earlier every morning and feel rested, and I haven't been sick in a long time! (which is a record in our house).

There are some common-sense secrets about this diet, I think, that may be the key to why we all feel healthier.

The LC food choices have skyrocketed the amount of fiber I eat on a regular basis (and everybody agrees that fiber is a critical health component). I also eat more vegetables and grainy things (like flax seeds, nuts, sunflower seeds) than I did previously... instead of turning to breads to go with my meals, I turn to nice salads and veggies (and everybody also agrees with that being healthy). Add to that all the lovely omegas, the precise vitanutrient supplements, the natural energy boost, and suddenly I actually feel like exercising. I do between 35 minutes and more than an hour of exercise every day, because I feel like it (and who would say that exercise is bad?).... :D

So what was the secret that dropped my bad cholesterol and triglycerides and elevated my good cholesterol? Was it lifestyle or the funky diet? S'troth it was both!

You see the secret is that whatever it takes to make us feel better (so long as it doesn't hurt us) will get us to live better as well. It is key to the motivation that we thought we had given up, that was lost forever.

If motivation came from standing on our heads and making funny faces, then who cares how silly it is, our life changes for the better. :roll:

I don't mean to say that LC'ing is silly, but it is unconventional and a hard-sell to a lot of dietitians and other conventional health professionals, and you can argue semantics forever, but the bottom line is that I am healthier PERIOD.

And I have yet to hear something about LC'ing causing any health problems.

I have opened the front door to my inner athlete and kicked my inner pre-diabetic down the basement stairs!

lee
Tue, May-27-03, 06:54
cc48510, I was looking at your weightloss stats, and you have done amazingly well!! Congratulations!