PDA

View Full Version : "In Thin City, No One Flouts the Atkins Law"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gotbeer
Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:47
Fashion
In Thin City, No One Flouts the Atkins Law
By Robin Givhan
Friday, April 18, 2003; Page C02
link to Washington Post article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48539-2003Apr17.html)

NEW YORK, April 17

Few industries owe a greater debt to Robert C. Atkins than Seventh Avenue. Atkins -- creator of the hugely popular high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet -- died today in New York. Designers and editors alike will undoubtedly eulogize him over chicken Caesar salads and bunless turkey burgers.

As difficult as it may be to believe, the fashion industry has recently been more obsessed with weight loss than usual. A host of high-profile designers and editors have shed a significant amount of weight. Folks such as Karl Lagerfeld, Gianfranco Ferre, Donna Karan, Narciso Rodriguez, Harper's Bazaar editor Glenda Bailey and former GQ editor Art Cooper are all newly svelte. And nothing evokes awe and admiration within the fashion industry like a flat tummy, visible pelvic bones, and thighs that do not touch.

No matter how slim one already is, in the fashion industry, it always seems that there is room to be thinner. In an industry that defines the cultural standard of beauty, the fight to be slim is more than mere vanity. If an editor or designer is to dictate style, folks believe that she -- and he -- should also exemplify it. They do not need the angular faces of models, but they should be able to wear -- and wear well -- the goods their companies champion. And a spandex jumpsuit is terribly unforgiving of generous thighs.

An industry that manufactures trends is, by nature, particularly susceptible to them. It may be that the fashion industry ranks as the most vehement believer in weight loss gimmicks. Rarely are there discussions of watching one's portion sizes, not skipping breakfast and working out more religiously. Instead, there is a method, a trick, a new assistant added to the payroll. There are nutritionists and trainers and devotees of Pilates. There have been endless meals of grilled chicken and Diet Coke. There are discussions about viscous meal-replacement drinks and helpful pills. There is even the raw-food diet, which suggests that Paleolithic man's discovery of fire is the root cause of potbellies.

But nothing has been as much of a constant as the Atkins plan. It may not be followed to the letter -- caffeine and alcohol are consumed without regret -- but the philosophy of protein over carbs is practically gospel. Like Manolo Blahnik's Carolyne slingbacks, a tweed Chanel jacket or a Burberry trench coat, the Atkins diet is a classic. It defines the way in which the fashion industry eats, helps women glide into Rodriguez's razor-sharp sundresses and ensures that flat-front trousers indeed hang flat.

Those within the fashion industry do not speak inordinately about dieting: One need not discuss what is already known. Protein equals a Balenciaga scuba dress, Hedi Slimane's cigarette-slim menswear, Helmut Lang's lean trousers. Carbs equal fat.

Upon meeting an industry professional for lunch, one typically is given this assurance: The salads here are quite good. (You weren't considering the ricotta ravioli, were you? Of course not.) When the waiter swings by with his wicker basket of bread, he might as well be a hustler pushing crack. Sourdough? Ciabatta? Focaccia? Good Lord, man, no!

No one eats bread. Not even people who want to eat bread. Pasta is a guilty pleasure reserved for fashion shows in Milan. Steaks arrive juicy and pink, but naked without their usual accompaniment: the potato. Delicate mesclun is crushed under the weight of sirloin strips, chunks of lobster or giant grilled shrimp. Fashion deals are done over New York chef Daniel Boulud's famed DB burger -- ground prime rib stuffed with braised short ribs and a nugget of foie gras -- but the Parmesan-crusted bun goes shunned.

Diana Vreeland once said that elegance is refusal, but fitting into a size 4 sample sale dress requires the self-denial inherent in the Atkins plan. No other diet equals it as fashion's favorite tool for crafting a new self or maintaining the current willowy one. A slow and steady plan like Weight Watchers is not going to have one ready for next fall's leggings. Atkins may be unnatural but so is Botox, and the fashion industry is not about to argue the results.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

lkonzelman
Fri, Apr-18-03, 12:57
That was great!

gotbeer
Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:26
No kidding - I LOVED posting that - sometimes there is nothing like the free market system to shake the truth out.

newdawn
Fri, Apr-18-03, 17:07
Gotbeer...I like your new signature

Quinadal
Fri, Apr-18-03, 20:42
I don't know.
Yeah it's a pro-Atkins article, BUT do we really want to equate Atkins with anorexic models when so many anti Atkins people keep saying ketosis is a form of starvation? All they talk about is meat and more meat. They don't really mention any veggies or carbs at all except alcohol!

Diana Vreeland once said that elegance is refusal, but fitting into a size 4 sample sale dress requires the self-denial inherent in the Atkins plan. No other diet equals it as fashion's favorite tool for crafting a new self or maintaining the current willowy one. A slow and steady plan like Weight Watchers is not going to have one ready for next fall's leggings. Atkins may be unnatural but so is Botox, and the fashion industry is not about to argue the results.

I don't like that they call Atkins 'unnatural' and putting it in the same category as botox which IS a fad..
And WHAT self denial?

gotbeer
Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:41
Any diet can be vilified by associating it with anorexia / starvation - and yet, those fashions and models remain popular. The "unnatural" crack was just silly, of course - what's so "natural" about a bag of potato chips? :spin:

theresa113
Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:56
A cool article ofcourse somewhat slanted but what article isn't.

It is true that many celebrities and models eat low carb. I cringed a little that Atkins were mentioned with the fashion industry but most of the names they mentioned, such as Donna Karen's, were of people who look very healthy. Luckily there was no mention of Kate Moss!

amieK
Sat, Apr-19-03, 09:16
Thanks for posting that gotbeer!

The April issue of Vogue had a very pro-Atkins article in it. In fact Vogue was the first place Dr Atkins published his diet way back when...

Could it be that eschewing (as opposed to chewing, lol) bread is actually a good thing? Could it be that those whose livelihoods depend on being slim might actually be onto something with their salads, steak, lobster and shrimp? Could it possibly be that the LC WOE actually works?!!!!

The author calls it unnatural.......I call it lunch. Please pass some of that "naked" steak.......:yum:

amieK
:wave:

Frederick
Sat, Apr-19-03, 11:45
Yeah, reward meal for me is a huge medium rare porterhouse steak grilled to perfection on a sizzling metal plate bristling with butter with NO salad or veggies. LOL

Spabsie
Sun, Apr-27-03, 17:11
Originally posted by gotbeer
Any diet can be vilified by associating it with anorexia / starvation - and yet, those fashions and models remain popular. The "unnatural" crack was just silly, of course - what's so "natural" about a bag of potato chips? :spin:

Vilified seems like a very strong word to be using. There are many anorexic people in the world who may not like being portrayed in that light. While we all ask the rest of the world to be accepting of the low-carb way of dieting perhaps we should have the same courtesy to not vilify other's way of life.

sorry. I love low-carbing and yet I understand the terrors of anorexia and this post saddened me.

Please don't feel I was attacking you, I was just simply putting forth my opinon. Thanks.

Sabrina

Isphet
Sun, Apr-27-03, 22:46
I actually thought that article is extremely derogatory, particularly to the Atkins diet and any who adhere to it. Maybe that's just the Australian perspective? To me the article has done a very good job of equating Atkins with superficial mindlessness (of both the people portrayed and of the writer). It is witlessness at its most demeaning. Not amusing at all.

black57
Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:10
Originally posted by Quinadal
I don't know.
Yeah it's a pro-Atkins article, BUT do we really want to equate Atkins with anorexic models when so many anti Atkins people keep saying ketosis is a form of starvation? All they talk about is meat and more meat. They don't really mention any veggies or carbs at all except alcohol!

I don't like that they call Atkins 'unnatural' and putting it in the same category as botox which IS a fad..
And WHAT self denial?

I agree, I think they are putting Atkins in the wrong category. I also don't consider this a high protein diet. I think of this as a balanced diet and I do it with balance. I have basically kept my meat indulges same as before. I have increased the vegetables in my diet and eat a wider variety of them. I eat carbohydrates only they are much fewer than I have in the past. This diet will always be healthy when it is done in a balanced manner.

Black57

gotbeer
Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:42
Sabrina - no offence taken, dear.

Just to clarify - there is a distinction between the disease (anorexia) and those poor people with the disease (anorexics). One can hate a disease (say, leukemia) and not hate those who suffer from it (like my late father).

I would assert that I can vilify leukemia and still love my dad.

Other posters - NOT me - have criticized "anorexic" models - as less than desireable, as if thinness by itself were somehow bad.

It is not.

Models use Atkins because Atkins works. Eating the healthy foods of Atkins in satisfying amounts is the polar opposite of anorexia.

Lisa N
Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:51
There is nothing wrong with being slim, although that goal can be taken to extremes and I honestly think that the media presents us with an unhealthy image of how thin is thin enough. I think the basic goal of most people here it to be slim, but most of us also have the goal of being as healthy as we possibly can alongside that goal of being slim.
But...there is something wrong with starving yourself, using laxatives, purging through vomiting and using excessive exercise (defined as hours per day) to get that way. It's not the goal that is a problem, it's the methods used to get to that goal and the mindset that goes along with those that use those methods that becomes a problem.
I think the fact that some people can become obsessed with dieting and becoming slim is why so many of us here stress that this is a lifestyle change and not a diet, at least not in the sense that most people think of "diet", and encourage those that choose to begin low carbing to think of it as a permanent change in eating habits that is healthy and can be sustained for life (ie eat your veggies, drink plenty of water, eat enough calories to sustain your basal metabolism at the minimum and don't stay at induction levels of carb intake forever).

While we all ask the rest of the world to be accepting of the low-carb way of dieting perhaps we should have the same courtesy to not vilify other's way of life.

With all due respect, anorexia is not a way of life; it's a disease that can kill you if treatment is not sought and the behavior is not stopped. While low carbing will not kill you or even harm you if done properly, there is no proper way to "do" anorexia without causing yourself harm. It's also important to note that low carb can be stopped at will while most anorexics require intensive treatment to stop their behavior.
There is a big difference between not accepting or villifying someone's behavior or a disease and villifying the person. I can not accept the behavior of an alcoholic or drug addict while still caring deeply for and supporting the person engaging in that behavior by encouraging them to get help and overcome their addiction.