PDA

View Full Version : hair coloring/fibro connection?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jessea
Wed, Apr-16-03, 20:11
This will sound goofy, but here goes: I notice that everytime I get my hair color touched up, the next day I have a terrible fibromyalgia flare-up. I have kept track, and it is not a coincidence. Anyway, my question for you all, is, is it the chemicals causing the flare-up? Or is it the position I am in while being shampooed? The sink hits the trigger points in my neck, and I always notice my neck is very sore the next day. I have been in automobile accidents, and have had whiplash at least twice.

I am hoping it is not the chemicals, because I would hate to not be able to color my hair anymore! Feel free to post your two cents here, I am open to discussion. Thanks!!!

-Denise

doreen T
Thu, Apr-17-03, 09:20
hi Denise,

My thought is .. it's mechanical, not chemical ;) at least that's my own experience.

When I'm in the salon for something quick like a trim or simple shampoo & cut, I don't have any increase in symptoms, even though I'm breathing in fumes from persons in the chairs beside me, which could be anything from dye to perm solution to colour-remover.

But any long procedure, and I'm crippled right up for at least a couple days after. I atribute it to the sink position, yes, and the long period of sitting still, often with your neck bent or held stiffly. Especially with a color, they stick you under the dryer, hand you a magazine and then warn you not to bend your head down or else the dye won't "take" along the front and forehead if it doesn't get heated evenly. :rolleyes: So there you are trying to read with the mag held up high in front, which is really, really hard on the neck, shoulders, hands and wrists to hold them in that position for more than a few minutes without any kind of support.

If my neck & shoulders are really stiff at the time, I have asked to lean forward over the sink, instead of backwards. Nobody has ever blinked an eye, and it's quite comfortable to do it that way. And they give me lots of towels to hold over my face. :) (Just be sure to wear pants or jeans, not a short skirt :eek: )

Getting your hair done is one of those trade-offs, at least I think so. It just feels so good, and it looks really nice so you feel good about yourself. But, you know you're likely going to be out of commission for a while afterward, so plan for it. Don't schedule anything major for the next day.

My 2¢

Doreen

doreen T
Thu, Apr-17-03, 09:23
p.s. - I haven't had a full colour job (yet ;)) .. just some highlights. But I do get permed regularly. I really, really need to make an appointment soon, because my last perm has grown out, and me hair is lookin' pretty RATTY right now :daze:

Doreen

jessea
Fri, Apr-18-03, 08:06
Thanks, Doreen, I really value your opinion! I am thinking that the next time I go to the salon, I will ask her to put a folded towel under my neck when I get the shampoo done. Or I will bend over the sink the other way (without a short skirt on, LOL :D )

I agree, I always feel so much better, mentally, after I get my hair done. I have so much grey, that I really need to color it. What is that old saying, "you have to suffer to be beautiful"? :daze:

Thanks again!

-Denise

Watchmenow
Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:05
Anytime I do an activity that will cause alot of pressure on a trigger point area I find that I will get a flare up.

So, I wouldn't say it is chemical. :wave:

jessea
Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:22
Thanks for the info. I have read so much about fibromyalgia lately, but hearing from people who actually have it is much more helpful! I found that after the first day I did pilates, I got a flare-up. This is so frustrating, I really want to exercise. Guess I am stuck walking for now.

Does this happen to anyone else? Whenever I know I am going to get a flare-up, my elbows hurt, on the inside of my arm, I think that is a trigger point if I remember the chart correctly. This is one strange condition!!!!!

-Denise

doreen T
Sat, Apr-19-03, 09:22
Originally posted by jessea
Does this happen to anyone else? Whenever I know I am going to get a flare-up, my elbows hurt, on the inside of my arm, I think that is a trigger point if I remember the chart correctly. This is one strange condition!!!!!Yessir! I know I'm heading into a flare when my tender points become exquisitely tender and painful to touch. It's odd about tender points; you're not aware of them and they don't hurt at all when you're just sitting or standing there. But let something touch or press on them and YOWZER! through the roof.

Trigger points are different, although I often hear people (especially physiotherapists :rolleyes: ) use that term when they really mean tender point. A trigger point is an area that, when you press it, triggers pain or spasm in a distant part of the body ... for instance pressing a point on the buttock results in a shooting pain in the lower leg or foot.

It is quite possible to have both at the same time though.

Doreen

Patchouli
Mon, Apr-21-03, 06:48
I would hazard a guess that it could very well be the chemicals. I know that I have a very low tolerance for chemicals of any kind as my FMS progresses.

You could try using Henna instead. It is a natural organic compound that I find much easier to tolerate. Of course, it depends on what colour you use for your hair. I don't think you can use henna for blonde or lighter colours. But check it out - I'm interested in hearing your response. :daze:

wcollier
Mon, Apr-21-03, 07:18
I atribute it to the sink position, yes, and the long period of sitting still, often with your neck bent or held stiffly.
That darn sink used to always do me in. A few times I thought about asking if I could lean "face first" over the sink b/c was neck was too weak to pull out of the sink, but I was too embarrassed to ask. I know, stupid. :rolleyes:

Having said that, I also wonder if there's a chemical component since many of us also have chemical sensitivities. It's not the healthiest thing for me to do. But hey, my only vice left is hair coloring and I'm too vain to give it up. :o

doreen T
Mon, Apr-21-03, 12:20
I find that I'm bothered by some fumes encountered at the salon .. for example, I avoid going when the manicurist is there. All those lacquers and acrylics, acetates and solvents that are used for fake nails just make my head throb with a migraine, and nauseous. It's like hanging out at an auto-body repair shop!! :eek: Thank goodness she's only there 3 days a week, so I schedule my appointments for her off days :)

I've already booked a fresh perm for tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to having some life in my hair again! :rose:

Doreen

wcollier
Mon, Apr-21-03, 12:31
Thank goodness she's only there 3 days a week, so I schedule my appointments for her off days
LOL, me too! Luckily their manicurist just left and they decided not to replace her. I still go for the first appointment of the day when no one is around just to avoid the other fumes if I can.

jessea
Mon, Apr-21-03, 20:58
I agree about the smell of the nail chemicals. Alot of my friends get acrylic nails, but I can't stand the smell! Thanks for the info Doreen, I was never sure if they were trigger points or tender points. My most tender of them is on my shoulders. OUCH!

Sometimes, the skin around my shoulders and neck just burns. It is the weirdest feeling. It gets very sensitive to touch, too. Are the burning muscles I get when I exercise due to the fibro, too?

As for hair color, I have heard of henna, and I do dye my hair red, so I might look into it. I am pretty manic about my hair, tho, it is my one streak of vanity.

Good luck with the perm, Doreen!

-Denise

imagem
Sun, Apr-27-03, 23:44
I think it is a bit of both. I now buy hair color (called Herbatint) form the health food store because it is ammonia free. I take it to my hair stylist, and she applies it for me. It seems the more I get away from all these health and beauty products the less flare ups I have. My biggest problem is dramatic weather changes. I live in Calgary, where it can be very warm in the day, and suddenly turn cold and snowing. I can tell it is going to snow at least 12-20 hours before it starts, because things start to hurt so bad. Anyone else bothered by weather changes?? Gail

sknymonkey
Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:02
Yes! It started raining in the middle of the night last night, so I guess that's why I had so much trouble going to sleep. I was so uncomfortable. Now I need my cup of 1/2 caff to keep me going.
Also- I reccomend hair coloring at home. I hate that sink at the salon. You can stay upright the whole time. I have a detachable showerhead so I rinse in the shower. I've never turned red in there, which is what most people worry about. It's so easy! :cool:

jessea
Mon, Apr-28-03, 18:04
I have two left hands when it comes to my hair, so doing it myself is out of the question. So, I will try facing the bowl when I get rinsed. I, personally, don't feel the chemicals are a big deal for me. I know of some people who can't even take the smell of laundry soap. Certain perfumes bother me, and cigarettes, otherwise, I have never noticed anything.

Yes, I have noticed changes in weather bring on flare-ups. I always feel worse in damp weather, but I am allergic to mold. This fibro thing is so darn mysterious, it is really aggravating!!!!!
My elbows hurt today, so I am bracing myself for a flare-up.

By the way, I am quitting the Melatonin for helping me sleep, it was giving me terrible, horrid, vivid nightmares! Even the 5htp isn't helping much lately. Today I bought some Benydrl, if I don't get a decent nights sleep soon, I am going to run amuck!! Isn't this a form of torture, sleep deprivation?

-Denise

jessea
Sat, May-24-03, 09:23
Just wanted to update - I have been on The Schwarzbein Principle II for almost three weeks, and the fibro is a non issue! I had my hair done on Thursday, had my friend put a towel under my neck while shampooing, and no fibro flare-up the next day!!!

I think it is this new plan that is helping. I have also lost five pounds on it. This is the plan for me!

-Denise