PDA

View Full Version : Good Articles on Atkins, Ornish and WW in Vogue magazine

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

amieK
Thu, Apr-10-03, 23:46
The April 2003 issue of Vogue has articles on Atkins, Ornish and WW.

The Atkins article by Jeffrey Steingarten is kinda tongue-in-cheek. It is the longest of the three articles and follows one man's 7 week journey on Atkins. My favourite quote from the article:

The problem with many patients, I was told by somebody within the Atkins organization , is that they want to follow their own Atkins diet and ignore the Atkins diet.

The article on Ornish by Linda Lee was interesting too. The author had previously lost weight following her own LC plan. But after having a baby, losing love and work stress, the number on the scales crept up. Desiring something different, she decided to "be Ornish". At the end of her first week, she could "barely make it upstairs" but after a 4 day intensive Ornish seminar, she learned she was lacking protein and upped her intake of legumes, soy and LF dairy. Nine weeks later she was 17 lbs lighter and improved cholesterol. But her conclusions sounded like it wasn't a program she felt comfortable continuing. Her doctor's advice? "Go out and have a cheeseburger." She didn't, but she did have roast duck the next night on Christmas eve.

The WW article was informative too. Shirley Lord, the author, concluded the best part of WW is:

It's not the recipes, not the meal planning, not even the celebrated points system. It's the regular meetings with women of similar interests and goals, and the sharing of some of life's experiences, the losses, the gains, the ups, and the downs.

Kinda like these boards are, hey?

Anyway I was pleased I purchased the magazine. Vogue hasn't been my regular reading material since I finished high school.

amieK
:wave:

Frederick
Fri, Apr-11-03, 15:14
hi again amieK,

After reading your review, I'd like to read the article. It appears something I'd enjoy.

However, is there a way I can read it without having to suffer the indignity and braving the public mockery of actually holding an issue of Vogue in the cash register line? LOL

Well, worst case scenario, I guess I could wait in line incognito holding something like Vogue with a paper bag over my head.

Regards,

Frederick

PS: Dowd is a columnist for the NY Times. She's very tongue-in-cheek, and her views on foreign policy are very similar to yours. She has her moments making fun of the neo-right, ie Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney et al. Sometimes your humor reminds me of hers. If you have the time, I'd humbly recommed you give her columns a read or two. I think you'll enjoy them.

Frederick
Fri, Apr-11-03, 15:24
http://www.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/maureendowd/

Like I said, in the NY Times. You have to register, but it's worth it. trust me!

not sure if it's still in the archives, but she has a very funny one where she christened the admin on embarking on Operation Piss Off the World.

amieK
Fri, Apr-11-03, 17:56
However, is there a way I can read it without having to suffer the indignity and braving the public mockery of actually holding an issue of Vogue in the cash register line? LOL

Well, worst case scenario, I guess I could wait in line incognito holding something like Vogue with a paper bag over my head.

Frederick, much as that last image is too funny, I can spare you the indignity if you like. If you want to trust that I am not some insane cyber wacko, PM me with your mailing address, and I'll send you a photocopy. I was going to make one for myself anyway and pass the magazine along to my sister. She's expecting her first baby in July and this issue is full of pregancy stuff, including a rather racy cover photo of a very pregnant Brooke Shields in a wet diaphanous silk dress. But maybe you want your own copy now after all? ;) LOL I guess not, my son says the photo is gross. LOL I don't think it's that bad but it does seem inappropriate for public display.

I will be sure to check out the link to Maureen Dowd. She sounds like she may be something of a kindred spirit. LOL I'll let you know what I think when I get a chance to read.

Got 2 go, aforementioned son is telling me my computer time is UP!

Take care,
amieK

Began11903
Sat, Apr-12-03, 00:18
I actually thought the photo of Brooke Shields to be one of her most beautiful shots, no smile, just her and her round tummy looking like a Greek goddess. Wish my round tummy was so fashionable.
Did enjoy the read, it's one of Vogue's best efforts.
Frederick, you could go to the library in a paper bag and save yourself 5 bucks.
Elaine

Lessara
Sat, Apr-12-03, 06:39
I was debating weither to get the magazine or not. I too. like the magazine but in the past years have been avoiding it.
I'll pick it up during my outing today. Thanks! :thup:

dannysk
Sun, Apr-13-03, 00:09
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not the recipes, not the meal planning, not even the celebrated points system. It's the regular meetings with women of similar interests and goals, and the sharing of some of life's experiences, the losses, the gains, the ups, and the downs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I went to WW 30+ years ago, they announced up front that they were only "selling" the group and meetings. The diet they used was the NYC board of health diet available for free by sending in a stamped sef addressed envelope. That was before the "low fat" fad. The diet was "lower" carb but not ketogenic.

danny

jsandrock
Thu, Apr-17-03, 17:09
I will confess to having subscribed to Vogue a couple of years ago (I AM an accessory queen!) pretty much only because I love reading Jeffrey Steingarten's articles -- his books are great fun too BTW!

What I loved about the Vogue article was that of all the diets, Atkins came out with flying colors -- and, so that we don't bash Vogue too much, let us not forget that they were the first to publish ANYTHING about the Atkins diet back in the early 70's if I recall correctly. In fact, I read that article, went on the diet and felt fabulous until my doctor vetoed it and put me on the lowfat horror ...fast forward the tape, 70 lbs later, back on Atkins FOR GOOD THIS TIME!

if anyone wants the article I too am happy to send a copy...

jsandrock