PDA

View Full Version : Lo-carb for depression-any experience?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Chasintrai
Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:51
Is anyone doing lo-carb to help control their depression?

I started Atkins last summer to loose weight and was amazed to find that my mood improved drastically! Since I've been off the Atkins wagon, that has also changed.

I'm doing a so-so, my own thing, kinda' lo-carb right now (yeah.... OK, what that really means is that I'm cheating like crazy every other day! LOL). I've been on Buspar for a couple months and having good effects with the anxiety. What I'm looking for is a less restrictive lo-carb plan that's still effective for the depression. I'm pretty happy with my weight, but want to stay with a lo-carb life style for my health.

I'd love to hear what you all have done, and what kind of effects it had on your moods.

Thanks,
Tamara

igaligal7
Thu, Apr-10-03, 13:46
I have been on Wellbutrin SR (300 mg./day) since August, 2002. I started Atkins to lose weight on January 17. I have found that by eating low carb that I have less mood swings and generally I feel much better. I believe that eating a high carbohydrate diet kept me feeling foggy, more depressed and tired. I finally made the connection between high carb eating and depression.

Larix
Thu, Apr-10-03, 13:49
Have you read "The Mood Cure?" I think it was written by Julia Ross(?). The author discusses various mood problems, and suggests supplements and dietary modifications. She talks about the benefits of getting adequate fat and proteins, so while not strictly a low-carb diet, it is lower carb. Your library may have it, or a local book store. (I found it at Borders).

I am not following that plan, but it does have good ideas. Good luck finding something that works for you.

-Larix

Chasintrai
Thu, Apr-10-03, 14:11
Thanks Larix, hadn't seen that one. I'll have to look for it. I'm reading Potatoes Not Prozac right now. Don't really have an opinion on her plan yet.

Igal - how do you like the Wellbutrin? I'm thinking of asking the Dr what he thinks about starting that along with the Buspar.

Tamara

climbergrl
Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:42
Well I ahve had a history of depression, drug addiction and eating disorders, and had recetnly sunk into a really deep depression. Had taken Prozac in the past but didn't want to go that route again becuase of the expense. At the suggestion of a friend i started taking 5-HTP and began Atkins. BOOM! I'm a different person! Eating disorder is at bay, mood is stable - with periods of great elation!! I had kicked drugs already about 1 1/2 years ago. Hope this is informative for you!

Chasintrai
Fri, Apr-11-03, 08:28
Climbergrl - that's great! Don't you love it when the fog lifts! LOL I may try the 5ht at some point down the road. Right now I'm actually scared to ditch the meds ;> If I can get back on an eating plan and stay there, I think I'll be able to do it.

Thanks

climbergrl
Fri, Apr-11-03, 11:08
YEs, I'm now the biggest fan of 5-HTP. I've been telling everyone about it. I can't tell though if its the HTP or the ATkins plan that has helped me more, but I'm not really about to quit either one.

I've also been told of Relora and Seasilver as other natural, anti-stress and anti-depression miracles, FYI.

Watchmenow
Tue, Apr-15-03, 13:41
I feel 100 times better when I am on the diet...I don't cycle as bad. My moods have become less and less radical. I use to get so irrational and my fibromyaglia is WAY better too....of course I am working out about 45 min. a day 3-4 times a week....I am sure it all works together....but the lowcarb works best for my success.

JolieFleur
Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:59
I also suffer from depression and this has been a major uphill climb, but I think I've got what works for me...

History:
I started on 20 mg Prozac, plus I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for skin problems. Started having major test anxiety in college and started Buspar.

Gained a lot of weight, got off Ortho. Added 10 more mg of Prozac b/c I was truly a mess by then. Kept gaining. Over four years I gained 65 lbs. Don't know if it was due to the meds or the illness or my lifestyle - probably a combination.

The Present:
I switched to Wellbutrin SR, 200mg/day. It has helped a ton with both mood and appetite control.
I started Healthpointe weight management program 3.5 months ago and it has elevated my mood even higher - I'm talking to my doctor about getting off the meds entirely by summer. It is really focused on quality nutritional supplements and moderate to low carb intake. I have tons of energy and I haven't hit a low swing the whole time I've been on it. Undoubtedly the ketosis has had an impact on my mood in addition to the supplements.

The future:
45 lbs. to go and I'll weigh what I did in high school. I never thought I'd see 128 again, but it's looking more hopeful every day.

I hope this helps! I know how hard it is to deal with depression - even worse when complicated with anxiety. I'll be happy to communicate by e-mail with any of you who need a buddy who understands where you are right now... Just keep up your faith, you WILL get through!

Laura D
Thu, May-01-03, 12:08
I would sometimes forget to take my Paxil during the "off" week on my BC pills. The next night I would pay for it by going crazy. I would burst into tears over the littlest things. After starting low carb, one day I realized I had not taken my paxil for 4 days, and I decided not to take it again.

My big problem was anxiety and panic attacks. I have not found myself in the type of situation that triggers the attacks, but I feel really good and secure so I am not worried.

I had been trying for a long time to get off the Paxil, but thought it was hopeless! I would just became a paranoid b***h after two days.

I am so glad to gone from it, it's only been a week, but I feel great and I think this will last.

linbaba
Mon, May-05-03, 09:12
I'm new and haven't figured out how to use this forum yet.
So far I've been happy reading other people's entries.
I posted one New Member thing and got one reply.

Anyway, I'm moved to respond to your posting LauraD because you weight almost what I weigh and you take Paxil.
I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression disorder and started taking 2.5mg. of Paxil. It's all I need, I feel great, I sleep nights, I don't churn about stupid things, don't worry about the kids as much, no more chest pain when anxious or driving, no more bad mood funks, it's been great.
The problem is I've gained weight, a total of ten pounds since Xmas making me 160lbs, an all time high. Do you think it's the Paxil? I'm also 53 and post-menopausal which makes my case different than yours since you are on BC. I'm hoping to make some headway on Atkins. I started last Thursday and lost 3lbs already. So far so good. My goal is 140.
Anyway think of me as a kindred spirit.

jeanyyy
Mon, May-05-03, 09:55
Congrats, linbaba !! I am your age and post-menopausal as well; however I weigh a LOT more than you :) Hope you enjoy this WOE - I find I feel SOOOO much better now: more energy, less moody and so on. Plus, I'm sleeping a whole lot better.

When you're ready, you may want to start a journal - it's a convenient way for people to keep tabs on you, leave messages and so on.

I have been on Prozac before in my life - once for a 3-year stretch. Recently, my doctor prescribed it again and I went back on for about 3 months - 20 mg a day. However, I am a very stubborn person and soon after I started Atkins, I let it slide. I am not very good about taking any kind of medicine where the dosage is more than 1X a day and had been missing the 2nd Prozac (if not both!) quite often. Finally, as I was running out, I thought "I'm going to give this a try without it". Now, you're not supposed to do that - but in my case, it seems to have worked out ok. Personally, I think my doctor was a bit too quick to prescribe it again; I think I was just having a bad day when she saw me (in part caused by her....).

Laura D
Mon, May-05-03, 14:27
linbaba, it really hard to tell if the Paxil contributed to weight gain. I did gain about 20 pounds after I started it, but I had also just quit smoking, and I know I had the muchies alot due too smoking urges. Also coincedentally I started making alot more money at that time of my life, so I do remember I was going out to eat alot more than before. I would blame those two things for the weight gain before I blamed the Paxil.

I gotta say though, my experience on Paxil was for the most part really good. Like you, it stopped the bad mood funks, and it really helped me be a nicer more rational person. I used to be really paranoid before. I am pleased to be off it though, I had been on it for 4 years, and it was time to stop.

kathiat40
Tue, May-06-03, 10:08
Hi all
I just mentioned in another thread that it is my personal opinion that a large part of the weight gain and various meds of this nature, is simply due to the fact that they make us feel better, therefore, we go out more, see friends more etc...
Having that said, I do think their is a chemical link to the weight gain as well. All the reading I have done says that the weight gain should level out after a few weeks on any med.
I guess I will see as I am on 20 mg of Celexa, and just came off large does of mood stabilizers where i put on 15 lbs in 3 months. :D

Greenwings
Wed, May-07-03, 14:27
My theory about antidepressants is that they make you crave more carbs in order to make more seratonin. Just a thought...

As for a plan that isn't as strict as Atkins, try NHE. www.extique.com. You get two carb-loads per week to look forward to, which, supposedly isn't enough to knock you back into sugar-burning.

linbaba
Fri, May-09-03, 13:07
I like this....one posts an idea and you get replies.
LauraD and Jeanyyy special thanks.
I am happy to annouce I lost 4 pounds in the first 8 days on the Atkins induction. I forgot how good it feels when you don't eat carbs. Less gassy, less bloated feeling, less indigestion, more energy.
But I slipped today. Went out for Japanese food, had sushi for lunch and what amounted to about three tablespoons of rice wrapped around the sushi. The good news is I didn't have sake or Japanese beer. I will stay on the wagon by eating light for dinner.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get back to my journal.
Talk to you all soon.
Linda