PDA

View Full Version : [Montignac] MM diet menu question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shirls
Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:34
Would the diet work (to lose weight or maintain weight) if one forgoes the original book and just buys the recipes and sample menus book? It may be a case of me being a little slow here (or maybe it’s just because I haven’t read the book itself yet) that makes me think this plan is VERY confusing. So I thought if I just followed the menus (from MM or Somers) without needing to know the more in-depth WHYs and WHEREFORES of the plan, things would be easier. I already acknowledge the scientific evidence that it works; that has been proven by everyone here and from much that I’ve read to date, but just think it may be easier going straight to the recommended menus.

I’m just afraid all this counting and guesswork may make me do something wrong, and then I’ll wonder why things aren’t happening.

Also, I'm thinking of buying the New Glucose Revolution book today - does this have recipes in it for anyone that's got it, or only the GIs of many foods?

I'm really excited about starting this diet, but moreso for my poor mother battling with her weight. I just want to get all my doubts out of the way (which I'm starting to do, the more I read this support forum). I do hope this gets less confusing. But for now, I should remember that life wasn't MEANT to be easy, right? :daze:

KoKo
Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:51
Hi Shirl

I totally understand your confusion - - first do not make the mistake of suscribing to Montignac's on Line site - a few of us have done that and have only ended up more confused than ever.
The web site is not very informative and if you pay for the meal plans they are contradictory to the book. The NGR is a much better buy and it has not only the GI/GL loads of the foods but has recipes. I was only able to get a library copy of Montignacs book and did not even bother to renew it. I realize this might sound stupid because I am saying that the book was no good the website and info I recived from it was not good - but I believe in the plan because it makes sense. I guess where I am stupid is that I needed to read somwhere what always made sense to me in the first place - that if you eat whole pure foods and omit those that you know to be bad for you you will do well.

Somers and Sugar Busters are very close to Montignac and I would suggest browsing all three of those forums for help and insight.

I really feel for you and wish I could help you and your mom more.
If I could simplify it for you I would just say - no sugar - (check labels especially in salad dressings etc) same goes for artificial sweetners - use only the purest wholest grains you can get - try not to eat fat with the grains- eat lean meats- limit oil/fat to 2tbs a day-check the GI and if you are aiming to lose weight stick to the lowest GI you can. The idea of lowering the GI of a food by combining is indeed itriguing but should probably wait until you feel more familiar with the plan or are not aiming for weight loss. I think this is where a lot of the confusion comes in. I have another book - I forget the title of now right now but when I post to you again I will give the details - it really simplifies the GI into red, orange and green zones, although it's listings are not as extensive as those in the New Glucose Revolution.

I really hope I have not just confused you a whole lot more - You are great for trying to help your mum and I wish both of you a lot of luck. :)

shirls
Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:04
Koko, you and everyone on this forum are oh so helpful and kind and caring. [Group hug; Group hug] I appreciate it alot.

Thanks for clearing up alot of the stuff for me. I think I will forego the MM book for now, and buy the NGR one. (Which one do you buy though? I just did a search for it on one of our bookstores' site, and it had about 5 different ones, each one differing according to the ailment one has i.e. one was NGR - Losing Weight; or NGR - Diabetes; or NGR - GI tables) Should there be a general one, like the one you referred to that explained the whole deal, as well as gave recipes? Thanks for your help again.

KoKo
Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:15
Shirl -

The one I got is - New Glucose Revolution-Completely revised and expanded- The Authoritative Guide to th eGlycemic Index- the dietary solution for lifelong heath - I would have to guess that whatever version had the latest publishing date would be the best to get as from what I've seen more and more people are paying attention to the GI rather than freaking out over carb count's - its the quality of carbs not the number!!!!

What I actually came back to this thread was to mention about quantities - I said that Montiganc did not state but said to eat till satisfied (he discourages between meal snacks except for certain circumstances) So my quantities for breakfast would be double what the package suggests as a serving - I would have what equalled 2 servings of oatmeal (1 is just a mealy drop in the bowl) and the same with all bran (1 cup and not a half0 by the way our Canadian All Bran is Kellogs is yours? Come to think of it I have never checked it out for sugar but its actually lower on the GI than oatmeal so I've been having it often as it provides a much higher fibre content than oatmeal.

Hey don't despair - between all of us we'll figure this Montignac Guy Out!!!!!

shirls
Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:42
Omigosh Koko, that baby in the picture is SO CUTE! Is that a recent picture of him/her? Okay okay, I believe you're a woman now. :D

(By the way, how do you DO that? - get the pictures on the side)

I've read that chana dahl is great. I love and eat a lot of yellow split peas. Are these just as low GI? Also, can these be eaten with a small portion of brown rice? Or is that mixing protein and carbs?