PDA

View Full Version : Just Skin Rash?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AntiM
Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:36
My armpit developed a painful rash that wouldn't go away; it wasn't itchy, just really sore. I went to see my doctor and he diagnosed me with a yeast infection, gave me a topical cream (Spectazole). This seems to be clearing it up, but now I have large itchy areas cropping up all over. I don't have thrush or a vaginal yeast infection; in fact, I never have.

BTW, I have diabetes II, haven't had access to meds for 4 months, have been living with blood sugars in the 300 range. Now on induction for almost a month and BS are down to 150.

Does anyone out there have candida with skin rash as their only physical symptom? Could this new symptom be a die off from recent decrease in carbs?

Thanks!
XOXO AntiM

karamia
Thu, Apr-17-03, 16:19
The first thing that led me to think I had candida was skin problems- a nice red & itchy rash on the base of my scalp. This rash long predates Atkins and I also get it on my legs and arms in really dry weather- and I have tried everything for it- I had hoped that it would clear up with Atkins- so many people's skin problems do. But no luck- doing the deyeasting diet and supplements does seem to be helping ( the diet is a drag). However- if it clears up my skin, it will all be worth it!! What really surprised me was that the the more I read on candida, the more I was clued into other symptoms that I had as well. Things that I had just thought "OH- that's just the way I am". Fatigue and being a little ditzy are the 2 that come to mind. I blamed the fatigue on being overweight and the ditziness I just accepted. However- I have only had one vaginal yeast infection and it was over ten years ago, following the birth of my daughter. I don't know how much reading you have done on candida but my one suggestion would be to read all you can get your hands on- you might be surprised by some of candida's other nasty little symptoms- I know I was!!

I don't know of this helped but thought I would add my 2 cents-

Good Luck- Kara

Watchmenow
Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:40
I had lots of itchy rash's like you mention. Of course I am a big girl so I always attributed it to sweating and providing the environment to help yeast grow.

I am new to the Candida thing. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and have a really hard time with it. So many of the symptoms are similar. I would suggest you go back to the Dr. to rule out anything else.

I think this diet is good. There are so many recipes on here to help you NOT burnout...try them so you have variety....

Take care and be encouraged.... :wave:

SpecialK
Fri, Apr-18-03, 19:57
Appx 10 yr's ago I started gaining weight (just after major surgery on my spine which ended my life as an athelete). I was really frustrated because I tried eating 'lots' of fruits and veggies, eat healthy (I had no idea how to diet) and I continued to gain weight. Several years, Dr's, medications, and diets later I was about 90#'s heavier. On my own (God has made me very studious) I discovered that I probably had a yeast problem. I started eating lc and taking supplements that are natural anti-fungals. WOW, I started losing weight. After about 2-3 weeks I had a really bad rash all over my body. Had read about die-off so wasn't really concerned. Uncomfortable but not concerned. After I reached the 20#'s lost mark, I had several weird things happening to my body. Prickly sores on my scalp (so small my husband couldn't see anything), splotches on my cheeks that looked like roscea (sp?), buzzy burning feeling on my tongue, as well as heavy metalic taste, vaginal yeast infection, and the worst bladder infection in the world. I had a toilet full of blood and I'd had a hysterectomy 9 years prior. Went to Naturopath for first time and he diagnosed me with severe yeast override. Prescribed Nystatin and had me continue with natural anti-fungals. He also laid out a diet plan that was similar to the lc plan I was already following. I no longer take the Nystatin but I do take the other anti-fungals. Have discovered that once a person has had yeast override, they will have a tendency to get again. I have lost about 75#'s. This was my goal. I was sooooo atheletic and can no longer do the things I used to. At 5'11" with a large muscular frame I thought 177 was a reasonable goal (although I wouldn't mind being a little thinner--I'm not dwelling on it). The moral of my very long story is that, a lot of my yeast problems did not surface until I startd starving the yeast. Much of the things I listed above are a result of yeast but there are numerous more that I have not mentioned. The Fungus Link by Doug Kaufmann is a really good resource.

MsJinx
Wed, May-07-03, 07:53
My rash is a sensitivity to arachidonic acid. Highest content in egg yolks and fatty meat (bacon comes to mind!).

I discovered this sensitivity after eating a mass amount of eggs and really fatty bacon.

Just a thought. I would certainly check out the candida thing if the dr. says it's yeast. Do you not trust your doc for some reason? Not that I"m saying trust her - I'm just asking :) . I never blindly follow medical advice, myself.

Jinx