PDA

View Full Version : Should we ban social smoking?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:22
Have just read the following article:

The smokers of New York had their final puff in public on Monday night as a controversial ban on lighting up in public places came into force.

The ban, introduced by ex-smoker Mayor Michael Bloomberg, is to protect bar and restaurant workers from the dangers of passive smoking.

But critics say the new legislation is an infringement of civil liberties and will force businesses to close as fewer customers choose to go out.

Read the rest of the article here (http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_article_id=174537&in_page_id=169)

What are you views on this?

As an ex-smoker, I do feel 'guilty' telling others that they shouldn't smoke in front of me, but on the other hand, I really object to it now :mad:

Double standards perhaps?? or is it because I now know better?

Natrushka
Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:55
We've had a similar ban in effect in Ottawa since August 2001. I lived with it as a smoker and as a non smoker and I'd really come to appreciate it as both. As much as I enjoyed smoking while I was doing it, I did not enjoy being subjected to someone else's smoke while eating.

I honestly think this is the way of the future. We know smoking is unhealthy and it kills people, if we want to do that to ourselves then fine, but why should non-smokers be subjected? (This has been my thinking all along - it's not the result of quitting)

Nat

KatKins
Wed, Apr-09-03, 10:23
Hi Demi
I do agree with both you and Nat.

I have just returned from NY, and was out there when the ban was introduced. Being an ex-smoker of 6 months, I actually didn't think people would stick to it... but sure enough they did. We even went to an Irish Bar to watch the Rugby last Sunday, and for the time that Iwas there, it had remained none smoking (not sure how long it remained that way though!!)

As for myself, I loved it
a) it helped with my attempts not to smoke and
b) my clothes/hair/skin didn't stink of cigarette smoke after a night out.
c) my friends that do smoke weren't smoking as much, as they had to go outside everytime they wanted a cigarette. :roll: that can only be good for them!!

I know it's a little selfish...as a smoker I used to be dreadful if I couldn't have a ciggie when I was out... but I'm really for the ban and I wish they would introduce it in the UK. :thup: