PDA

View Full Version : red meat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

stilt0
Thu, Apr-03-03, 00:34
Hello everyone,
You paleopeople really rock! Dare I say it but you just seem more in touch with the spirituality of food. This probably sounds pretty weird but I find the whole L.Carbing phenomenon leading the human race almost inexorably towards better health seems to sync pretty neatly with a growing need for spiritual (not religious)
awareness. I would hazard a guess that a WOEating that takes us back to our genetic inheritance is probably a necessary step in true spiritual awakening. That earlier thread that mentioned the 'blood connection' aspect of paleo eating in terms of reconnecting us to a true reverence for the earth and seems to also foster a sense of connectedness to our fellow travellers on this planet (and I don't only mean Human).

Which in a round about kind of way brings me to the real reason for opening this thread. It's been fascinating reading various comments about how much better people feel when they eat meat. I've always found that the manifold benefits of lowcarbing are magnified considerably when I'm eating red meat. I enjoy chicken and fish, but however they are prepared , I always feel slightly deprived after such a meal . It's almost a kind of carb craving, but a carb craving that carbs (when I've succumbed) never even come close to satisfying. But even small amounts of red meat , even just meat for a meal (however gastronomically boring it is) will keep me feeling satisfied for hours. No wonder the eskimos like seal so much! The really interesting thing is this : I've always liked my steak really rare. Sometimes when I'm preparing a meal just for me, I don't even bother cooking it at all. Particularly if you chop it finely and smother it in herbs and spices, and a really good extra virgin olive oil, I actually prefer the taste raw. I don't want offend anyone's sensibilities, and I probably am a bit odd , but preparing steak this way satisfies my appetite for much longer. You know how even when you've had a good meal , it is usually only an hour or two before the idea of food pops into your consciousness yet again. Red meat- and the rarer(interesting how rare is so close to raw) it is the better - prolongs the time when you are not just distracting yourself from the need to eat, you are more like completely oblivious to your stomach. I'm pretty sure part of the reason for this is that it is that red meat is such an ideal food for the human digestive tract. What do you think? Maybe not globally sustainable (at present population levels), maybe not philosophically correct (with presently employed slaughtering techniques ), and certainly hardly environmentally sensitive or sensible (if we go on prefering beef over a wider range of red meat sources). But simply a whole lot better for you.

By the way Shandy Andy , I'd just tell your mates that you've got cirrhosis of the liver, and then chuckle conspiratorially in a way that they can't help but wonder if you're really joking!

cheers,
Stuart

captxray
Fri, Apr-18-03, 16:12
I tend to agree with everything you've said. However, I am a bit cautious about eating raw meat around these parts of the Great Northwest. Meat needs to be cooked because of the possibility of food poisoning...which I have been a victim of. On premise, i agree about raw meat, though. I have found that since starting this woe, I eat everything...I never used to do that. I always put the fat on the side...I was repulsed by it. Now, i look for it and it is the first thing I eat! I really love the "Rawness," but I err on the side of caution due to having suffered through a really awful bout of the "Cow's Revenge." I like elk meat, but it isn't fat enough for my present tastes. There is something very primal about eating deer, elk, snake, pheasant, wild turkey, squirrel...I wouldn't have touched these things a couple of years back, but now I want to get a big gun and go kill something for my dinner plate. Forget the "sport" of killing. I don't think of it as a "sport" to kill living creatures. They were put there for our use and enjoyment. I can use and enjoy one when I'm cooking and eating it. But, give me a gun, and point me to where the wild animals are, and I'll kill one without hesitation (after thanking him or her for giving me the opportunity to dine off them and become healthier), so I can eat it. Kind of reminds me of Douglas Adam's "Restaurant at the End of the Universe." Boy! I'll bet there are vegans whose ears are twitching just from what I've written. Maybe even a few from this forum. Oh, well. To each his own.

PaleoDeano
Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:01
hey, stilt0 & captxray,

:thup: Right on with what you say!

I am of northern euro descent, and have no problem understanding why I feel better and have NO digestive ailments after switching from a (almost) vegan diet to a paleo diet comprised of mostly red meat. I agree with what you say about how satiated one can get when eating it. I don't think I would trust raw meat, but rare is how I always eat it.

One question for you two (and anyone else that has ideas on the subject). Why is it that I crave fat so much, and why is it that fat makes me feel even better than the red meat aspect? I have eaten leaner meats, like deer and elk and bison, but it just does not seem to satisfy me like eating fatty cattle or pork or eggs. I have lately been experimenting with eating (for the first meal of the day) eggs and bacon/pork sausage, fried in large amounts of butter. I will even pour the excess butter and grease over the top of this plate of fatty food. (I have not tried lard yet, but I might). I have noticed a real improvement in my energy levels, my moods, mental alertness, my satisfaction, etc. It's funny how in years past I would always blame this type of eating for severe digestive disturbances, when in reality it was the toast and/or pancakes I ate along with these foods that was really the culprit! Now my stomach is as quite as a mouse after eating this type of food. Same thing with chicken skins, etc.

My question is why, if our ancestors ate mostly lean game meat, do I crave fat and feel so much better when eating it? My skin looks better, etc. I have heard that saturated fat is the best thing you can eat for your heart (in fact it is what your heart muscle uses for energy). Did our ancestors really eat a lot of saturated fat (like the Eskimos)? Is that why I crave it so much, and it makes me feel so good?

Loren Cordain, in his book 'The Paleo Diet', warns against eating the "wrong kinds" of fat (mainly saturated fat). He says that paleo people ate lots of very lean game meat, and very few eggs. So, is it true that one should watch their saturated fat intake? I am starting to have doubts about it. But, from an evolutionary perspective, have a hard time explaining it. Unless, my ancestors ate saturated fat along with their red meat.

I have this nagging hunch that saturated fat (along with other types of fats, like omega-3, etc) are actually very healthy, and, along with good quality protein like red meat and eggs, is a part of a powerful combination of food!

Can anyone give me some insights into this?

Would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

BTW... I know what you mean about getting a big gun and killing some wild herbivores! IMHO, it is actually the smartest, most healthy, caring, animal loving, humane, ecologically sound thing a person can do! The best quality food you can possibly put in your mouth is the meat from an animal that lived in the wild and was shot in the head and killed instantly, with no stress to it's being. Alive and free one minute, and a wonderful foodstuff for you the next. No torturous life in between. The healthiest thing you can do for the animals you kill are to kill them in a way that helps control their population, which will allow all of them to enjoy a more trauma free existence, and at the same time help the ecology of the earth (and the food chain) you are a part of. Sure beats chopping down all the trees to pave the planet with cornfields! I have never been hunting in my life, but plan to purchase a rifle soon with a good scope so as to "cleanly" kill deer and elk, etc.

JimR-OCDS
Wed, Apr-30-03, 13:27
>My question is why, if our ancestors ate mostly lean game meat, >do I crave fat and feel so much better when eating it? My skin >looks better, etc. I have heard that saturated fat is the best >thing you can eat for your heart (in fact it is what your heart >muscle uses for energy). Did our ancestors really eat a lot of >saturated fat (like the Eskimos)? Is that why I crave it so much, >and it makes me feel so good?

I read a book years ago called, " At Home In The Woods," by
Bradford Angier. In the book he tells how frontier-men would die from was known as "Rabbit Malnutrition." It was caused from not getting enough fat in their diet, eating only lean meats like rabbit and deer. Indians, avoided this because they always carried beaver fat with them, and would cook their meat with it.

stilt0
Mon, May-05-03, 02:02
Fascinating stuff about the lean meat death syndrome. One thing I remember noticing years ago in more ignorant low fat times was how difficult it was to feel warm in cold weather if my fat intake was low. Interestingly enough my mother who has battled with being very overweight most of her seventy odd years and has tried to address this with low fat diets, also reports more sensitivity to cold weather . You'd think if it was just a simple insulation effect of fat she'd cope with the cold weather well. I've always been really skinny , but as soon as I started eating a lot more fat (both saturated and not) I seem to be able to laugh at the cold with exactly the same dress habits. It is also well documented that predatory animals (humans included ) always seem to go for the fattiest parts of their kill first. The fattiest organ of all - the brain - is prized above all. Unfortunately most animals do it tough and are lean , so fat is rare in the wild . Humans would never have evolved such a big brain without a huge saturated fat intake. I think the whole low fat philosophy is a kind of puritanical gross misinterpretation of our evolutionary heritage. I really haven't seen a reputable study yet that even suggests a convincing causal link between high saturated fat / low carb diet and degenerative disease. The glycerol pathway of supplying the brain's small requirement for some glucose from fat in the diet (not from protein through gluconeogenesis) coupled with the other benefits of high fat intakes - IN THE ABSENCE OF SIGNIFIGANT AMOUNTS OF ANY CARBOHYDRATE- make the optimal dietary ratios of Fat , Carbs, Protein an absolute no brainer IMHO. Curious little snippets like the backwoodsmen dying slowly from not getting enough saturated fat just continue to zip it up for me. Besides, I just continue to notice dramatic health improvements in myself and the many friends and associates who just can't ignore the advantages and make the change. BTW, you sound a bit squeamish about the raw meat thing because of parasite risk. If you like your meat rare, then even if it's just a little bit pink inside it just hasn't reached high enough temperatures to kill any parasites. The outside might look scorched and a dead zone, but the inside (if at all pink) is biologically very much alive. Trust your body. Get fresh meat ,get enough sleep, and keep your carbs low and your immune system will deal with any parasites. Cooking your meat sufficiently to kill parasites basically ruins it's nutritional value any way. Believe me if you already enjoy a rare steak a well seasoned raw steak is infinitely more delicious. Unfortunately you will have to contend with the 'normal' people thinking you are a bit weird. Oh well!
Cheers,
Stuart

MichaelG
Wed, Jul-23-03, 07:01
On the subject of meat and fat, here in Australia if we need some advice on paleo diets, we just go and ask them in person! Many australian aborigines are only two generations away from H/G and still indulge in "recreational H & G" in the same way as Inuit do. They have a huge knowledge of wild foods.

Here's a great article about food such as fat and grain in the diet of a recent paleo people.

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/australian_aborigines.html

The article is written in the past tense, but my partner who is aboriginal is going up to the Bunya Mountains (3 hours drive from Brisbane) on Friday for an artistic weekend, and always comes home with some Bunya nuts to roast ... see reference in article. BTW aborigines have eaten lots of legumes and grains, particularly wild Millet and Acacia seeds for at least 60 000 years.

Michael
Brisbane Australia

MichaelG
Wed, Jul-23-03, 07:04
Michael here again.
The quick reply textbox chewed that URL
It should read as follows. Stick the following together end to end and it should work!

http://www.westonaprice.org/
traditional_diets/australian_aborigines.html

phrank
Wed, Jul-23-03, 08:20
It seems like the key is a natural diet with minimal processing. I don't much miss the grains, but was definitely suffering without my beloved yam...

lol at myself,

phrank

PaleoDeano
Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:05
> Humans would never have evolved such a big brain without a huge saturated fat intake. <
Humans ate lots of brains once they figured out how to crack open the skulls (and bones) of other predators' leftover kills. Does the brain and marrow have lots of saturated fat? And, later, when humans developed the skills to hunt for themselves, where did the saturated fat come from? Why does Cordain warn against eating saturated fat, when he is supposedly the "leading expert" on paleo diets? AND, the most important question... could the problem be that GRAIN fed animals' fat is NOT the same as wild animals (unbalanced fatty acid composition/omega 6/9 ratio, reduced CLA, etc)? Could this be the reason for Cordain's warnings, as well as possible health problems associated with "a high (saturated) fat" diet? My personal hunch is that fat is VERY good (and necessary) for people... however, it may really depend on where that fat is coming from - grain fed animals or wild (grass fed) animals. I have been searching for grass fed food, and have found lots of farms near by that raise it (everything from bison, elk, deer, cows, pigs, chickens, lamb, etc). I plan on doing bulk purchases of this meat (and fat) and primarily eating this type of food (versus the grain fed stuff found at the local supermarket). Does anyone have any thoughts on these things?

kay3osu
Sun, Aug-10-03, 22:31
i agree completely. how did you find the farms near you? i will do the same. did you look on the internet or word of mouth or what? you have the right idea.....

PaleoDeano
Mon, Aug-11-03, 00:10
Hi Kay!

I did use the web to find the farms.

here are some links...

http://www.heall.com/resource/food/

http://www.heall.com/resource/food/new_york.htm

http://www.eatwild.com/

http://www.eatwild.com/products/newyork.html

At the bottom of this page, you can click on other states, like New Jersey, etc.

You can also just use a search engine like...

http://www.google.com/

And put in your state (New York) and/or surrounding states, and then put "grass-fed" "farms" "bison", "elk", "deer", etc. I found other farms this way. Like there is a site for MEFA (Missouri Elk Farmers Association) that has a huge list of farms in Missouri. And another for Deer Farms. I just searched on my Street Atlas program for the cities or zip codes to find ones near Kansas City... then I have just been calling & visiting farms. I have already found a place very near to get beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, rabbit... and another place to get bison... and so on...

I have an upright freezer that holds up to 500 lbs of meat, but I don't plan on having anymore than 2-300 lbs around at one time... want to have it as fresh as possible. Plus, I don't want to pay extra for vacuum packing and such. If you get 1/4 of large animals and 1/2 of smaller ones, you usually get a good enough price break versus buying by the cut. I average about $3.00/lb for all the different meats & cuts (which is pretty good for the high quality meat you get - and believe me, when you taste it you will know how good it really is).

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

- Dean

kay3osu
Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:34
hi paleodeano!

thanks so much. i am moving to columbus, ohio this weekend so will look around that area. how do you feel since you have been eating ths way? i am going to try to start a neandethin/atkins induction this mon. once i am settled in my new place. too hard to start when your life is in flux but i will stay lc till then. did you feel great from the start or did you go thru a transition... weak, tired stage? do you use oils like flax, hemp, olive? i would be curious to see what you eat on a typical day. do you keep a journal? and one more thing...until i can get to the "happy farms" :) , is buffalo always a safe bet? i get it at whole foods (organic chain) and i think it's always grass fed but i may be way off on that?? do you know? well, stay in touch! and take care, kay

PaleoDeano
Mon, Aug-11-03, 15:10
Boy, Kay, you really get around! You just moved to New York City?, and now are moving (back?) to Ohio! Reminds me of that movie "The Out-Of-Towners"!
:lol:

Looks like there are plenty of farms in Ohio... you should have no problem at all!

http://www.heall.com/resource/food/ohio.htm

http://www.eatwild.com/products/ohio.html

Bison (it's not really buffalo) is a good bet... however, there are some farms that are not too hip to the health issues, and are more concerned with making sure the meat is tender (marbled, shall we say!) and do finish the animals off on grains! Sort of defeats the purpose of eating them! So, it is best to check out who is raising the animals. If you find out from the store, you can then check out the farm on the web, perhaps, or call them or something. There are enough bison farms around Kansas that I find out if ANY grain is used, and if so, I don't deal with them, since there are so many others that never use any grains. They have them grazing on native grass, and during the harshest times of the winter, they will feed them hay (from those grasses). If you get a younger animal (like around 24 months) and you cook the meat correctly (very important) then the meat is very tender and very rich tasting... and of course, extremely healthy for you! Make sure the processor does not discard any of the fat (have them put it in the burger).

http://www.greatplainsbison.com/all_about_buffalo.html

I feel great when I eat LC. My energy and moods are more level. I have much more stamina for exercise, etc. Of course, when first starting, and doing very low carb, I felt tired and sluggish. I did not exercise at all for a week. But, then, the energy level kicks in, and your metabolism changes over and you start feeling great!

I do use flax oil (for the omega 3). If all I ever ate was wild animals and fish, I would probably feel I did not need it. But, wild salmon is so very expensive! (Wish I lived in Alaska!). I only take 1 tblsp/day of flax oil.

I don't keep a journal, but typically I eat 4 farm fresh jumbo eggs from free range chickens fried in about 1/8 lb of butter (the only non-paleo food I eat) with bacon (no nitrates) or sausage (natural) or burger... or pork chop or steak... every morning. Good way to start the day (with plenty of good animal fat!). I eat a mid-morning snack of nuts (almonds/pecans/walnuts) and low-carb fruit. Lunch is either a salad with eggs and chicken/turkey meat... or shrimp (with low carb/high fat dressing, like Caesar or ranch - there might be a small amount of dairy here as well), or a piece of meat and vegetable (or vegetable dish, like cucumber salad). Then a mid-afternoon snack of nuts and fruit (or guacamole and celery and deviled eggs)... then dinner of meat and veggies with loads of butter (or veggie dish) or meat/veggie dish (like stir fry, or lamb stew with loads of butter, or no bean venison "chili"). I keep carbs low (probably under 30 grams/day) and fat as high as possible! Steak sauce is probably the highest carb food I do... or certain fruit (although I eat as low-carb fruit as I can). I eat only natural food (nothing processed), and try to get the largest variety of foods I can in my diet... this includes many different types of animals (and cuts - and organ meats), and different fruits and veggies.

So, are you really wanting to do a complete neanderthin diet (no dairy or grains/legumes, etc)? I once did strict neanderthin (just like Ray details in his book) for several months. My cholesterol (complete lipo profile) was the best it had ever been! And, I lost weight and body fat effortlessly. Although, I have really upped the fat and lowered the carbs since those days... hence the use of butter in my diet. My weight and body fat really have taken a dive since doing this.

Good luck on your transition...
Watch the carbs, but don't start "counting" till you are settled...

Take care, Kay

- Dean

kay3osu
Mon, Aug-11-03, 17:01
Dean,
it gets even better...as soon as my move to ohio is complete, i will be moving to kansas city! in with you! :) you know too much...i would never have to read another book, look up another article or cook another meal because you would do it all for me! :) just dreaming! i am moving BACK to ohio because my health is weird and scaring me. i have been a lean and beyond energetic girl all my life. this 20 pound gain happened overnight....but more importantly, i feel awful. so i am going to do nothing but get myself balanced and well. it's such a cliche but you really do have nothing if you dont have your health...so. one more Q for you: when you upped the fat, did you gain more fat? where did you learn all this? i'm impressed....i've learned a lot too but its because of my own health issues...not for fun, recreational, hobby reasons like i would prefer. i eat this way to keep myself from falling over (small exagerration)...some days i feel great, others, are frightening. i see the doc on wed. to get results on a test he did. not looking forward to it.....i hope you stick around. i have a feeling i'll have a few more Qs for you once i start this on mon. (ps dont be offended by my improper use of grammar etc...i am schooled... but it's makes for faster typing...that's all :)

you take care, kay

kay3osu
Mon, Aug-11-03, 17:09
ps
thank you so much for your responses. especially the web sites and the peak into your daily menus! have a good one!

PaleoDeano
Mon, Aug-11-03, 17:52
...well, as Sandy Dennis would say... ohhhh my gawwwwwd...

Kay,

When I started eating more fat (once I was able to get over my "fat phobia"!)... I saw the weight (and especially the body fat) start dropping. Fat does not make you fat... carbs do! Fat does not raise your cholesterol... carbs do! Fat gives you loads of energy... carbs will make you fatigued!

Fat will save your life! Yes... and carbs will kill you!

I hope that answers your question.
:)

- Dean

PS... read this, if you have any further doubts...

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/native_americans.html

... or the great book "Life Without Bread"

kay3osu
Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:49
...well, as Sandy Dennis would say... ohhhh my gawwwwwd...

what part is the oh my gawd referring to? the whole thing? :)
Kay,

When I started eating more fat (once I was able to get over my "fat phobia"!)... I saw the weight (and especially the body fat) start dropping. Fat does not make you fat... carbs do! Fat does not raise your cholesterol... carbs do! Fat gives you loads of energy... carbs will make you fatigued!
i am really having a hard time switching over to the fat burning mode. probably fat phobic. started fit day today to see what i'm doing...
Fat will save your life! Yes... and carbs will kill you!
i believe you!!
I hope that answers your question.
:)

- Dean

PS... read this, if you have any further doubts...

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/native_americans.html

... or the great book "Life Without Bread" have this book. we have all the same books...must think alike :)
time to get back to packing...oh yeah, when do you workout (cardio)...before you eat anything in the morning? i have always done that but with getting up so late and having things to get done, i am only just now going for my walk and very hungry...not so smart?? usually , i would go around 7 am on an empty stomach and then have BF when i got back and showered...
i will look up that site later today but started reading LWOB last night (after i found it in a box...already packed it!)
have a great day.... :)

PaleoDeano
Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:04
Kay,

You know... from the movie "The Out-Of-Towners"... Sandy Dennis kept saying "ohhhh my gawwwwwd"...

Yes, I workout first thing in the morning (4 am!). I don't eat until an hour after workout (after shower/getting ready). I have heard that if you work out first thing in the morning (and then wait about 1 hour after), you will burn much more body fat... and your resistance training is better because of testosterone and growth hormone levels. Then, eat mucho fat and protein (and take those supplements! - vits/mins/flax). Also, the last meal of the day should be no carb (you will produce more growth hormone while you sleep at night if you do this).

What do you think of LWOB so far? I think that is one of the best books I have ever read. The authors advocate eating mainly animal foods... even over vegetables! I agree with this, except I think your ph balance would get messed up (become too acidic)... and I am sure that paleo people ate plenty of vegetation (so our bodies probably need it). Although, in northern climates, and during the winters, they probably did not. I wonder just how much vegetation is necessary. Anyone have any thoughts on this? But, what they were saying was meat has more nutrients than veggies. Good grass-fed/game meat does. A quarter pound of bison burger has more calcium than a glass of milk!

Later,
Dean

kay3osu
Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:21
Kay,

You know... from the movie "The Out-Of-Towners"... Sandy Dennis kept saying "ohhhh my gawwwwwd"...
ok, will be first movie i rent in my new place!
Yes, I workout first thing in the morning (4 am!). I don't eat until an hour after workout (after shower/getting ready). I have heard that if you work out first thing in the morning (and then wait about 1 hour after), you will burn much more body fat... me too and your resistance training is better because of testosterone and growth hormone levels. Then, eat mucho fat and protein (and take those supplements! - vits/mins/flax). ok, what vit/mins should i be taking? i get a weird reaction when i take any pills...a sudden wooosh feeling in my body and my legs get very thick...and heavy and dead feeling. i think i overproduce insulin even from the amount of carb in a pill....i had a GTT done a bit ago and i am severely hypoglycemic ( reactive type) i was 31 blood glucose at the 2 hour mark ...scary! but tell me a good multi to take so maybe if i just take one pill instead of several. also, had my carnitine checked and am very deficient and chromium was "none detected"!!! help! copper very low...zinc too high. that worries me about the eggs because they are high in zn and not enough cu but already had 4 jumbo today cause it was quick.. .Also, the last meal of the day should be no carb (you will produce more growth hormone while you sleep at night if you do this). will do

What do you think of LWOB so far? LOVE IT...was reading some more this afternoon while waiting to have blood drawn...oh yeah...my iron is LOW....9 when it should be about 50. and you wonder why i dont burn fat? :) I think that is one of the best books I have ever read. The authors advocate eating mainly animal foods... even over vegetables! I agree with this, except I think your ph balance would get messed up (become too acidic)...yes, too acidic is not good ...i like the greens!! and I am sure that paleo people ate plenty of vegetation (so our bodies probably need it). Although, in northern climates, and during the winters, they probably did not. I wonder just how much vegetation is necessary. i will write more on this after my move as it will be lengthy and i'm in a hurry.. .Anyone have any thoughts on this? But, what they were saying was meat has more nutrients than veggies. Good grass-fed/game meat does. A quarter pound of bison burger has more calcium than a glass of milk! good, my calcium is low too....and you wonder how i'm even breathing?? :) Later,
Dean

also, have you tried ghee? i would think it more acceptable on paleo because all the dairy solids have been boiled out ....that's whay i fry in. today, i also fried in some organic coconut oil i had but never used cause the blood type diet says i should not use it...i'm O...what do you think...should i follow it? i feel best with hemp oil and i eat lots of wild king salmon...evn though it is pricey :cry:

ok, back to errands...have a great day!

PaleoDeano
Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:59
I would not mess with that blood type diet!

See some posts from this forum.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=75757

I have never tried ghee, but have wanted to. Actually, I am ready to obtain some good lard (from natural bison/pig/cow) and start using that instead... don't know what it would taste like over veggies, though! :)

I wish I could afford wild salmon... but, I just eat the farm-raised now and then... love to broil it after basting it with olive/canola oil & spices.

- Dean

kay3osu
Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:59
i still cant believe how much you have lost!!! you stud man you! and i bet you notice that even though your weight hasnt changed as much recently, your body continues to ...for the better. anyway, i hope you stay around...you are inspiring and very helpful to me....wish i could be more so for you!
ghee is ok to cook with but there's nothing like butter for food flavor as a topping for veggies etc. (yum yum)

i'm still experimenting....need to go get more boxes and tape...i really dont like to move......yuk! bye bye!

PaleoDeano
Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:40
what vit/mins should i be taking?

I take these... they have pretty much everything I feel is important.

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?number=TL199&back=yes&dept=1104&last=1104

And I do take some 'above sea' Coral Calcium that has trace minerals in it.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/ashvik/noname1.html

And some flax oil.

- Dean

kay3osu
Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:12
i have to laugh...but i should have known....those are the exact ones that i already bought...EXACT even the amount! i feel like you are the male version of me...when is your bday? you are spooking me. first you have all the same books i do....you eat the same food as me(for the same reasons)...and now you also take my vitamins!!! help! :cool:

PaleoDeano
Tue, Aug-12-03, 21:49
Kay,

That is too bizarre!

So, when are you moving? Soon?

I am heading up to the Black Hills for camping/backpacking tomorrow. That will be a nice change of pace! I usually end up eating lots of grilled meat and veggies with butter pretty much exclusively... and with all the exercise I end up dropping body fat like crazy! Earlier this summer, when I went up there and did some serious hiking, I came back and weighed 172.6 and was 13.6% body fat! Like an all time low for me... I was very amazed! So... hopefully I can shed some of this body fat that has been creeping back on lately...

Have a good move to Columbus... if you are leaving that soon.

BTW... I use to live in Columbus OH...

I'll catch up with ya Monday...

Take care... and don't forget to eat plenty of FAT! :Party:

- Dean

kay3osu
Tue, Aug-12-03, 22:46
Kay,

That is too bizarre!

So, when are you moving? Soon? friday

I am heading up to the Black Hills ? for camping/backpacking tomorrow. That will be a nice change of pace! I usually end up eating lots of grilled meat and veggies with butter pretty much exclusively... and with all the exercise I end up dropping body fat like crazy! i love hiking but the camping thing...i dont know. as long as i could have an outlet for my blowdryer, i guess i could be a happy camper : yay: Earlier this summer, when I went up there and did some serious hiking, I came back and weighed 172.6 and was 13.6% body fat! Like an all time low for me... I was very amazed! groovy! So... hopefully I can shed some of this body fat that has been creeping back on lately...

Have a good move to Columbus... if you are leaving that soon.

BTW... I use to live in Columbus OH... what a surprise :) what part? i lived in olde worthington and dublin........ I'll catch up with ya Monday...

Take care... and don't forget to eat plenty of FAT! i ate gobs today and it was hard on my system....i ate ghee and coconut oil and flax and olive and 4 jumbo omega 3 eggs...is that enough? :Party: well, have a blast this weekend....i'll be packing, driving and unpacking....i think you win in the fun department... - Dean

oh yeah, how do you measure your bodyfat? we'll catch up when you return....kay? kay :)

PaleoDeano
Wed, Aug-13-03, 01:31
oh yeah, how do you measure your bodyfat? we'll catch up when you return....kay? kay :)

I have a scale that measures both weight and body fat. It measures weight by 0.2 lb increments, and body fat by 0.1% increments.

Tanita makes it. Works great! It uses Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis by sending a safe, imperceptible, low-level electrical pulse (50 kHz) through your body (you have to be barefoot, and stand on these four metal plates on the scale). It is not as accurate as hydrostatic weighing! But, who wants to be submerged in a full tank of water everyday, anyway! :rolleyes:

It is very accurate in showing progress. I may be 14.7% body fat... or 13.3% body fat... and my scale says I am 14.0% body fat... but, who cares... (I could actually be 14.0% as well... it's all relative). All I care about is that it uses the same method each time and therefore is very accurate in showing my fat loss (or sometimes gain! :cry: ). All I know is one year ago I was getting measurements in the 27 - 28% range consistently. And, that has changed slowly over the last year (and always reflects my eating and workout habits accordingly). It is all relative anyway, and therefore is just as "accurate" as any other method (in a relative perspective, that is... not in a current exact measurement).

I love being able to track my progress. I punch the weight and body fat into a spreadsheet everyday and have formulas that show me how much weight, fat, and muscle I have to lose/gain to reach my goal (right now set at 170.0 lbs & 8.0% body fat). That way I can actually look at line graphs and see my progress over time (and not just weight, but actual fat loss as well). It is so easy to see what happens when I go for say 2 months eating more fat, or I have a bad week with some sugar binge and I can see that on the graphs! Or I am eating more fruit... or doing cardio more intensely, etc. It has been such a helpful motivator! I have actually shed over 38 lbs of fat off my body! That is a scary thought! I do feel much lighter now (without all that gunk to carry around), thank you very much...
:yay:

Well, you have a good time moving... and I will just have to envy you while having such a hard time smelling all those pines! :roll:

:dazzle:

- Dean

PS... if you rent "The Out-Of-Towners"... make sure you get the 1970 (original) version... not the 1999 remake.

:read2:

kay3osu
Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:31
Deano,
sent you a pm...dont know if it worked......???

PaleoDeano
Fri, Aug-29-03, 22:46
Hey, Kay,

Been outta touch...

I did get some PM from ya... some had text, others did not.

Been super busy, but am trying to get back on this forum in some capacity. Hope you are still around!

Hope to hear from ya!

How's OH? How was your move?

Hope everything is goin' OK with ya! :)

- Dean

kay3osu
Sat, Aug-30-03, 15:11
welcome back! was it fun? hope so. i am just getting settled. have made a few attempts at induction and always cave in the evening when i get a really scary low blood sugar feeling. we'll see how tonight goes...i am determined. have been working out and wonder if that's what's making it harder?? anyway, did you come back leaner and .....nicer :) ??

captxray
Thu, Sep-11-03, 10:30
Hi, guys...

I was catching up on my reading of this post and I want to say that I have one of those scales, too! It's pretty cool and I can tell when I'm losing fat and not noticing anything else. I have noticed that as my weight goes down, my percentages stay relatively the same...and that lets me know if I'm losing water, or fat...Lately, though, my percetages have taken a drop. I'm very near my goal weight, and now I'm starting to lose the percentage of fat, relative to my weight. Does this make any sense? Have any of you experienced this? Also, for those who may be discouraged due to plateauing (sp?)...I was on a 9 month plateau, recently and only when summer started, did I again start to lose weight...took off about 22 pounds this summer...I'm sure my body goes into a holding pattern in the winter months.

PaleoDeano
Thu, Sep-11-03, 14:02
it makes sense what you are saying. i have experienced this as well. i put my weight and body fat into a spread sheet each day. i have columns that show how much body fat i need to lose to reach my goal, and how much muscle i need to gain. i pay much more attention to these two columns than to the weight and body fat. i notice that i do lose weight faster in the summer... but, then, i am much more active during the summer. i lose weight (and body fat) when i cut out fruits and when i up fat. it is nice to chart you progress to see what certain dietary changes affect what.

Dean

captxray
Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:28
I've noticed the same thing about the loss of fat when I eat more and more fat. The more fat I eat, the greater the weight loss, as long as I stay away from too much fruit...EXCEPT my home-grown and home-dried Italian prunes. If I eat about thirty of those little dudes each night, along with half a frozen banana (for my potassium), I always tend to lose some weight...if I ate a lot of protein and fat that day, too. A great nighttime snack, also. Besides the great way it "cleans" me out every morning. It's like prunes lubricate the passageways for an easy passing of the detritus and keep it from an unwelcome stay in my lower intestine. Weird, huh?