PDA

View Full Version : Coronary Artery Desease

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mntnear
Sat, Mar-29-03, 20:01
Bummers ... doing atkins to try and turn around my weight and cholesterol and ...
WHAM!

Pain in chest and next thing I know I have a stent in my heart ...

I just lost 40 lbs in 6 weeks, cholesterol drops 50 points (235 to 185) and now this!

Both cardiac and regular physician begging me to go on traditional cardiac diet ...

I'm torn ...

Trouble is last time I did a Vegan diet I lost weight but my cholesterol went to 300 ...

Damned if I do damned if I don't ...

(SIGH)

Rosebud
Sun, Mar-30-03, 03:03
Hi there mntnear,

I'm sorry to read of your CAD (coronary artery disease) and I hope you have fully recovered from the stenting procedure.

You do realise that CAD takes years to develop I hope? Being on a low carb diet of any kind cannot cause CAD, in fact it will help to delay progression of the disease. Remember that Dr Atkins is actually a cardiologist, and is not going to recommend an eating regimen that causes CAD.

Have a look at this old thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269) where a member with a history of coronary bypass grafting discusses the improvement in his health with low carb. I hope you find it reassuring.

All the very best to you!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

dan_rose
Mon, Mar-31-03, 09:06
This chap makes a lot of sense (to me at least):

http://www.redflagsweekly.com/kendrick/2003_mar21.html

mntnear
Mon, Mar-31-03, 09:49
Both for replying.

I wasn't planning on changing my current diet. As I said it is working for me (cholesterol down 50 points)

I just get worried a little (sigh) ...

Thanks for the threads and sites to look at ... they have provided me wit a little more confidence to go forward.

I figure this took a while to happen to me ... and of course its all my dad and granddads fault ;) ... so a few months of harrassing my doctors while I lose weight and continue to have perfect blood labs will be fun ... hopefully they'll accept ME doing this.

My doctors strongest complaint was that high protein will hurt my kidneys ...

What is HIGH protein (%) ?

I need to ask him cause I believe I am cutting back on protien and increasing my fat anyway ...

I drink lots of water and, as I stated, all lab results so far are perfect!

well ta ta for now,

take care!

Larry

Rosebud
Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:09
G'day Larry,

A diet high in protein will only damage kidneys if there is an existing problem. If your kidney function is normal, all the protein in the world cannot cause them any harm.

You could try challenging your doctor to show you some studies which show people with normal kidney function developing problems as a result of eating more protein.
There are no such studies! Dr Atkins himself has publicly called for anyone with such information to come forward and to date, no one ever has. There is plenty of opinion stating that low carb causes all sorts of harm, but when it comes to the nitty gritty, the proof just isn't there.

And you could also try reassuring your doctor that low carb eating plans such as Atkins provide adequate protein, rather than "high." ;)

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose: