PDA

View Full Version : having touble breaking the binge cycle

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Chloe21
Mon, Mar-17-03, 19:05
Hi,

I have type one diabetes and I really want to start Dr. Berstein's plan. My bloodsugars are out of control because my eating is out of control. I plan on going low carb but I haven't made it for more then a few days and then I binge on all the "forbidden" foods. I continue to gain weight which makes me feel horrible but I'm having a hard time getting on track. Help! Does anyone have any advice/ suggestions/ support? Plus..how long does it take for the stomach to shrink back to normal size? mine is all stretched out from bingeing. I feel horrible but it's really hard to stop.

kjturner
Tue, Mar-18-03, 03:24
Major problems with binging *can* be a sign you may have a candida infestation. There is a candida forum here. Why don't you pop over there and read some posts to see if what their symptoms are may mimic what you have.
I *used* to have candida, and I know that when you low carb you begin to starve them out and they react by making you very strongly crave sugars/starches/fermented products in an attempt to save themselves. It can sometimes make you feel you have NO control--that maybe you are POSSESSED! (And you just may be--by candida) But candida can be overcome, and having others to talk to who are having the same problems is a major help.

...Let us help you....

myshades
Tue, Mar-18-03, 05:39
Chloe, I came to this forum to answer some things about lasers but I really DO have a suggestion for you about cravings and binging. My Type 1 daughter has battled eating disorders for most of her teenage years and finally overcame them. Eating disorders are extremely common in Type 1 diabetes. I am not sure exactly why but it has something to do with leptin. She went from kind of anorexia to binging. Meanwhile, her sister who is just carbohydrate sensitive has more garden variety cravings for carbs.

I found out from an MD in Texas about inositol. When I looked up inositol on PubMed I found out that it is better than SSRIs for obsessive compulsive disorder and panic, and also very effective in eating disorders. Well, BOTH my kids love the inositol from GNC. I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars we spent on things like counseling that did no good whatsoever. The MD that I spoke to uses GNC inositol on every diabetes patient, every PCS patient, and every fibromyalgia patient. The dosage needed could be high. I am with kjturner here, and use applied kinesiology (muscle testing) to check dosages of supplements. But the MD evidently doesn't know how to do that and just keeps increasing it until there are negative symptoms like headache or stomach upset and then backs off. My daughters each take about five or six per day of the 500 mg tablets. Don't buy the powder because it is much more expensive, at least from GNC. The MD that I spoke with (and he is a research MD from a major university) actually has found that he can substitute inositol for Metformin sometimes in things like PCOS. (Now don't try anything like decreasing meds without talking to your doctor.) I realize now, particularly after reading the translated Russian research (see the laser thread) that in addition to Type 1 that my daughter was insulin resistant. She has reduced her insulin units from about 36 per day to about 20 per day using inositol-- both from the insulin sensitizing qualities of inositol, and the fact that she doesn't get carb cravings anymore. I wish everyone knew about the stuff. Obviously, this doesn't work for everyone. That would be too easy.

Chloe21
Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:02
Hi,

Thankyou both so much for the support. I think I do have a candida problem. I recently went to a naturopath who put me on something called PermaClear, he said it was to add back healthy bacteria into my body. I've been on tons of antibiotics and he said that there is some damage done to my gastrointestinal tract but that it's reversable. I guess I for some reason didn't connect my cravings to my candida problem .....I don't feel so bad about myself now. I am definitley going to read up on the postings in the candida forum.

I am also going to go to GNC and get some inositol. Thankyou so much for the suggestion and your story. Is Inositol natural? I just want to make sure it won't have the effect on my body that antibiotics have had? I am willing to try anything that will help me. I'm so glad to hear that it helped your daughters and that they are doing better.

Anyways, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!
Take care!

myshades
Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:17
I've been reading up on inositol-- plus the MD told me a lot about it. There are actually different forms-- glucose is supposed to be converted in the body to d chiro inositol in something like a 14 step process. D chiro inositol is the most active form. Myoinositol is not quite as active but it seems to be working in all those Israeli MEDLINE abstracts on eating disorders, panic, etc. In those studies the dosages can sometimes get to as much as 8000 milligrams per day (that would be 16 of the GNC tablets). D chiro inositol actually accompanies insulin into the cell, and is necessary for insulin to get into the cells. The doctor I spoke with found that GNC seems to work better than other kinds he tried, and he theorizes, but does not actually know, that for some reason there might be some d chiro inositol in with the myoinositol. He uses it for thyroid hormone resistance as well, which he thinks is rampant in fibromyalgia. He has *some* fibromyalgia himself so he is very innovative in treatments for it. BTW inositol is supposed to be very helpful in neuropathy. One thing that is new for neuropathy and also might be helpful for all this stuff is benfotiamine-- this is a rather new lipid soluble vitamin B1. If I have time I will post some on it, but I don't have a personal story involving that, just inositol. It took about three weeks of inositol at 2500 mg per day to turn around an eating disorder of eight years for my Type 1 daughter. I hope it helps your carb cravings.