PDA

View Full Version : Everyone been tested for Thyroid Disease I hope?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Leora99
Mon, Mar-17-03, 16:15
Just wanted to remind everyone, it's good to test regularly for Thyroid disease.

The AACE has changed the guidelines (I think they did it in 2002) so normal is not .5 to 5.5 anymore - now normal TSH is .3 to 3.04 (a lot narrower).

That means those of you who, a few years ago, were told you were just fine by your doctor with the TSH test, might actually be hypothyroid (sluggish thyroid) by today's revised standards.

Just something worth checking! A sluggish thyroid could be part of the problem with weight problems.

Love, Leora

nikkil
Tue, Mar-18-03, 04:09
Fortunately, or unfortunately (blame ;) ) I STILL have no problem with my thyroid! But, I think it's great of you to pass on this new information to everybody.

Thanks,
N.

Leora99
Tue, Mar-18-03, 05:15
Thank you so much, sweetie!

I had posted this under the newbies forum because I thought - gosh, if a person is new, and struggling with gaining weight too easily/not losing weight easily enough, then maybe there is a slight chance that the thyroid could be involved, since especially with these new narrower guidelines, a lot of women apparently do have thyroid problems, and the problem is very underdiagnosed in part because doctors don't always make it part of the regular physical checkup.

So I thought - boy, maybe it's a good idea for every women, especially if she has symptoms of a thyroid problem (like weight issues, like me) to be tested just in case....because even though a person with a thyroid problem (hypothyroid for instance) can still lose weight by following the program very strictly, it seems to me that they have an uphill battle compared to normal thyroid people.

But then the moderators moved my post to the thyroid section, and I felt kind of stupid because, gosh, anyone who frequents the thyroid section has already been tested I bet!

Anyhow, I didn't mean to post a stupid post, or even to put a post in the wrong place (honestly, I meant to targe the newbies because I do believe that everyone should have their thyroid tested regularly because underdiagnosing is so common, and esp. with weight struggles because that can be one symptom of thyroid problems, and again most doctors don't bother with testing unless a person asks specifically for it....)

Thank you for answering...I felt kind of sheepish when this post was moved over here to this forum, for two reasons:

1. I figured the moderators probably thought I was an idiot for posting this in the newbies section (but I had a good reason, LOL, I wanted to make sure everyone had thought of asking their doctors for a thyroid test!); and

2. I figured everyone in this section would think I was a complete idiot for saying, "hey, everybody, get your thyroid tested!" when obviously they all are keenly aware of thyroid problems, testing, etc. already! LOL!

(I'm not a complete idiot, I swear, only sort of half an idiot - well, some days maybe 3/4's of a idiot...but really not a COMPLETE one....)

Love, Leora

nikkil
Tue, Mar-18-03, 06:39
you are NOT an idiot, idiot! ;) ;) ;) I've got a crazy sense of humour so ignore me....
N.

Leora99
Tue, Mar-18-03, 11:12
Thanks, LOL! :)

Love, Leora