PDA

View Full Version : Cream and cholesterol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jellyfissh
Mon, Mar-17-03, 10:08
Hi All!

Do we have any doctors or nurses on board? I have a question that has been nagging me.

Two weeks ago, I had my blood chemistry done. I was supposed to be fasting, but I did have a cup of coffee with a liberal splash of cream. Could that account for my high reading?

TIA, I really appreciate your help.
Elizabeht

doreen T
Mon, Mar-17-03, 10:53
Yes, but the problem isn't the cream. Caffeine will cause falsely elevated cholesterol and especially triglyceride readings. You should avoid all caffeine (including coffee, tea, chocolate, colas and any pain relievers or cold-flu remedies containing caffeine) for 14 to 18 hrs prior to the test.

Also, nicotine can elevate the triglycerides too, so if you smoke, you should go cold turkey for the same length of time.

When fasting for any kind of medical test, it means no food or drink for the specified time .. EXCEPT you may drink water.

If the numbers were grossly out of whack, you might want to have the test repeated in a few weeks, only be sure to be properly prepared.

Doreen

kjturner
Tue, Mar-18-03, 04:16
She's right! Also bear in mind if you are actively losing weight your cholesteral numbers will run a bit high. They will settle down as you lose weight.

jellyfissh
Tue, Mar-18-03, 22:07
I appreciate your time in answering my query. I knew I should have been fasting, but I really thought that one cuppa wouldn't hurt. My totals weren't grossly terrible, 215 total, and 165 LDL. I am going to get them rechecked in a couple of months, and I will be certain to be properly prepared.

Thank you, again,
Elizabeth

VickyRenee
Tue, Mar-18-03, 23:33
I was wondering though on the caffeine and smoking. If a person normally drinks coffee every day and smokes a pack a day (like me!)......by fasting on both for a blood test....wouldnt that be false readings really? Since that person has those things on an everyday basis...... maybe thats the problem with the high cholesterol.
I wonder because I had my cholesterol checked a few weeks ago and I didnt think it was good at all. It was 180, but my HDL was only 35 and my LDL was 127. I had never had my cholesterol checked ever in my life. So I have nothing to compare whether or not mine is down or up.
Now I have to wonder.....is it the fat Im consuming? or is it the caffeine and cigarettes I have? Im sure its probably all of the above.
Does cholesterol change throughout the day? I have about 10-16oz coffee w/caffeine, 10 oz in the morning and sometimes a small cup in the afternoon.
If I went in fasting to get my test done, but then resumed my regular schedule of "the bad stuff", wouldnt that be false readings really?
Somebody help me understand!!! LOL :daze: