PDA

View Full Version : Low Carbing and Hiking.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dimpled
Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:13
I am a vegetarian and wannabe lifelong low carber. I was wondering if there are any hikers / atheletes here. I enjoy low carbing and would like to adopt it as a way of life than as a weight loss technique.(not that i cant afford to drop a few pounds.. :D )

Hiking is something I enjoy and if you are or have been a hiker before low carbing, you'd know what i mean when I say that the powers of carb loading is not something you want to argue about amongst the hiking folks. What foods to take/pack while hiking and camping(perishables are a no-no. No cheese or eggs...my major source of protein...no veggies..whats left..)? Being a vegetarian adds an extra twist. Is it ok to indulge in moderate carb loading during hiking sessions and revert back to a low carb life style after returning to the concrete jungle?

P.S. This is my first post here. I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question.

Paleoanth
Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:41
Hmm, no perishables, huh? Makes it kind of tough.

How about nuts? A good snack, but not meal. I would think that having that much exercise-a moderate carb load would not be bad. You would still have to be careful. Low carb is all about fresh foods-so that is what makes it tough. Why not a couple of low carb bars as well?

Interesting question-I hope others come see it. If you don't get a lot of response-try posting this on the General Low Carb area or the General Exercise area.