PDA

View Full Version : Cold Laser Therapy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kjturner
Sun, Mar-02-03, 02:29
Ok, I'm going to jump in here with both feet and just tell you about something my chiropractor/kineseologist and I have discovered. It'll sound *really* 'way out there, but I've been doing this for 20 months now and I know it works on me. Here goes: cold laser therapy.
First of all, for those who don't know what a cold laser is, simply put a laser pointer is one. The medical ones are much more powerful (and expensive), but they work the same way. I know there are scientific explanations out there on the internet which explain how shining a 'red light' on the body will help it heal, but I know FOR SURE that if my chiro cold lasers my pancreas for about 10 minutes it'll lower my BG by 30-40 points within the hour. And it lasts all day. It works approximately as well on me as going for a brisk 30 minute walk will. The use of a Class IIIA laser pointer used for about an hour will do the same thing. (You want to find one rated as close to 635 nanometers as possible) I just stick my laser pointer into my bra and point it down toward the pancreas and leave it there to shine on the skin over the area where the pancreas is.
Cross my heart (bra--pun intended :) ) it works. And hey, it's harmless--what can you lose to try it?
...No, I'm NOT kidding....

Chloe21
Mon, Mar-03-03, 16:49
Where can you busy a laser? How expensive are they? do you have type one or type two?? I have junvenile diabetes and I"m wondering if that would help me. I think that's amazing and I believe you!

kjturner
Wed, Mar-12-03, 02:35
At any office supply store. Just be sure it's range goes as low as 635nm.

c6h6o3
Wed, Mar-12-03, 09:29
Has anyone asked Dr. Bernstein about this? Do we know why it works?

My fear is that your bg reduction may be due to the laser's stimulative action on the pancreas. If that is the mechanism by which the glucose is lowered it's tantamount to the action of a sulfonylurea with resultant loss of beta cells. And as we all know, that's what got us Type II's into this fine mess in the first place.

Just a thought.

Jim

kjturner
Thu, Mar-13-03, 02:41
I'll ask my chiropractor/kineselogist about it's action, but somehow I don't think it is necessarily stimulating the pancreas to produce excessive insulin. I know when I was taking Glucotrol (sulfonylurea) within mere days of taking it my weight loss came to a screeching halt. With the laser therapy I've seen no effect upon my ability to lose weight. I know the laser does increase blood flow, similar to magnetic therapy. Perhaps it just makes my pancreas happier in some way. I know I don't get the little 'twingy' feeling in my pancreas any more. But whenever I was getting that I'd found that a few minutes with the cold laser and the pain would be relieved. I also use it on my liver. It still twinges a bit, but not as badly as it did when I first found I was diabetic, so my liver is happier now too. I have also noticed, here lately, that I don't need to laser near as much as I used to. My doctor never would do a fasting insulin test, no matter how much I badgered him, so I don't know for sure that I had excess insulin, I just know now some form of improvement is/has taken place as I can actually tolerate small deviations every now and then much better than I used to. I will sometimes treat myself to some tacos and I don't get as much BG rise after eating them, and I come back to normal much quicker than I used to be able to do. I have also dropped from two diabetes meds to one, and I'm even reducing that. I know I got much better, faster results when I added the laser therapy to my existing diet/exercise regime. *VERY* noticeable results, and now the ability to reduce my medications plus reducing the amount of laser therapy too...*Something's* working right!

I'll post what I find out from my chiropractor/kineseologist when I next go see him...

kjturner
Fri, Mar-14-03, 01:55
He said the laser does not make the pancreas produce more insulin, but makes the insulin it does produce more effective. He uses an Erchonia laser and said they have a useful website.

c6h6o3
Fri, Mar-14-03, 10:39
For the same reason that I never ask my barber whether or not I need a haircut (and he's a terrific barber, by the way), I'm taking what your chiropracter says with a grain of salt. Not a truckload, mind you, but I'm not willing to risk total burnout of my pancreas based on what anyone says whom I don't know to be a true expert. My diabetes was diagnosed early enough by a very conscientious and progressive physician so that I have substantial (albeit impaired) natural insulin production capacity left. I don't take any medication now, and God willing, I'll never have to. My last HbA1c was 4.5. I'm not risking that for anyone of lesser stature than Dr. B. himself.

myshades
Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:18
Hi. I have a daughter with Type 1 diabetes and I have tried to get her to read Bernstein's book. In November of 2001 I wrote an article in Diabetes interview Magazine about the uses of laser therapy in diabetes. A friend of mine showed me this thread, and I joined since I am interested in low carb diets as well. Right now I am visiting my daughter on her spring break and am not familiar with her computer (eek it is a laptop). I will be home soon and anyone that wants I will send a copy of my article and more information. In the meantime, here is Dr. Ramdawon's unpublished study-- http://www.ialm-laser.com/LaserDiabetology.html

There are published studies in Russia on the uses of lasers and diabetes. I actually have one that is translated into English. The laser won't burn out the pancreas-- in fact it is used as a treatment to get people off medication. I like Erchonia laser but the Russians that use this treatment use infrared. Yes, in part it works to simulate exercise, but with a lot of cycles it may regenerate islet cells or change the immune system. A ton of research needs to be done on all of this.

I have a question. What frequencies does your chiropractor use? Erchonia has the capability of emitting four frequencies at once, which is really great. It is an extremely low power laser so it is actually the frequencies doing most of the work. Do you mind asking your chiropractor? Thanks all.

kjturner
Sat, Mar-15-03, 18:04
Thanks for the article, myshades. I will give it to Dr.Lee when I see him next. I will try to remember to ask him what frequencies he uses. I know he tends to vary them somewhat. Sometimes he uses frequencies for detox, sometimes some for healing. I also get a treatment where I stick my feet in a warm water bath and he puts a device in there that is supposed to detox the body thru ionization. All I know is the water gets pretty nasty looking after a treatment! The composition of what is in the water doesn't always look the same either. He also uses magnets and tuning forks. Pretty interesting stuff. I may not know the whys and wheretofores of what he does, but I do know I feel a LOT better and my diabetes and fibromyalgia are much better too. He's always going off somewhere for classes on different ideas. He is an advocate for the Schwarzbien principle modified with blood type diet. I am something of interest with him as I am a blood type A who does very well on a high protein diet including beef. That's rare. Most A's can't handle beef. Not only do I handle it, but it appears to actually be good for me. We don't really know why.

myshades
Sun, Mar-16-03, 10:03
I am rather familiar with all the things you mention because I have a natural health care practitioner who does about the same type things. I assume your chiropractor uses NAET treatments or something similar? Mine has an Aqua Chi (the foot thing) but doesn't use it that much. Her most recent venture is to go to St. Kitts to learn about a Russian device that puts out frequencies. To everyone else here who hasn't experienced all this it does seem weird. Energy treatments are so effective they are definitely (HAVE to be) the wave of the future. I would like to find a cure for diabetes using energy treatments. Of course Dr. Ramdawon thinks he has one. BTW I have ordered custom energetic vials for diabetes from Ergopathics-- about 75 of them. My daughter muscle tested weak to 80% of them and I cleared her. I am trying to stop the autoimmune process. :o) Maybe I can copy some of these things and send them to you, if you are interested. Can you get someone to clear you rather than going to the chiropractor (75 is a lot of visits). I'll be back home tomorrow and can send you more information then. One thing-- our practitioner barely mentions diet except in terms of what one reacts to-- I saw her eating McDonald's for lunch. I don't have diabetes, but am type O and definitely have to watch my carbs or else I fall asleep.

myshades
Mon, Mar-17-03, 14:28
Ok, just call me *interested* in this subject-- I probably know as much about LLLT and diabetes as any lay person in the USA-- and most health care professionals. In any case, I have some professionally translated (from Russian) research from this center-
http://www.laserlow.com/files/4-2.htm

I believe that Dr. Kovaleva and Dr. Ramdawon were trained by the same place/person, possibly at People's Friendship University Medical School in Moscow (I definitely could be wrong about that). I think that the study that I have was published in a Russian medical journal "Endocrinologie." Or it may have been another one by the same person. It was about the effects of using one cycle of laser therapy, which are enormous--it dramatically affects lipid levels for instance, and also control, medication level, etc. Both doctors (who are not connected to each other at all) say that enough cycles and most people can go off all medication. Their protocols are not exactly the same. Dr. Kovaleva uses a combination of IV laser therapy and the regular kind. It was from this study that I first realized that Type 1 diabetes patients are at high risk for getting insulin resistance as well!!

Where diet comes into this is that Dr. Ramdawon says that a special diet should be followed-- I am sure that it is low carbohydrate or at least low on the glycemic index. I am not sure about Dr. Kovaleva, BUT she says that for people do get off all medication that between cycles of laser therapy, the blood sugars have to remain normal. And, as we all know, for blood sugars to be normal in diabetes, one almost has to follow a low carb plan.

Someone asked if Dr. Bernstein knew about any of this research. I have no idea but I wish someone would tell him. Or any other open minded MD that has diabetes!! We need to get some research going in the USA. Dr. Ramdawon spoke at Laser Florence and WALT. Supposedly some research was going to happen in western Europe but I think they are mired in red tape. Plans for Dr. Kovaleva to do more research in Moscow are also ongoing.

I'm going to try to find out about the diet recommended by Dr. R for his protocol. When I find out I will post in this thread.

And sure I would love to know the frequencies used with the Erchonia laser (was 80 one of them?).

If someone particularly needs the translated Russian study I have it somewhere on my computer and you could email me at BL1204~aol.com

kjturner
Tue, Mar-18-03, 03:15
Would you go over to Dr.Bernstein's webpage and post this info on his forum there as well? I do know for a fact that he does occasionally browse the forum (I've seen him directly answer some questions, but he doesn't do it often). I also know his clinic will take calls for him.
Yes I agree this is probably going to be the treatment of the future, but right now it is just too new. I know Dr.Lee is using me as sort of guinea pig, but that's fine with me. I also know for a fact that he 'practices what he preaches' and stays on the diet himself. He advocates a kind of combination of blood type diet with Schwarzbien, but he also encourages experimentation. I am somewhat of a challange as I am a blood type A and shouldn't do well on a diet of high animal protein especially beef, I am more O-like in that aspect, but I do test negatively for the A-type vegetable 'avoids'. He has tested me over and over and I am good on beef (but not pork). He has also tested me for wheat and I'm ok on that, but if he tests me on wheat and beef combined (ie: hamburger) I test negatively. Kineseology is SO fascinating! BTW he tends to follow Dr.Brimhall's recommendations. He goes to Arizona often for new things, but I also know he's trying to get certified for the Blood Type diet from Dr. D'Adamo.
I agree completely about low-carbing if you are diabetic. Too me it's a sort of 'well duh' thing. Since diabetics (both types) can't handle sugar/starches well it only makes sense to give them up. Why on Earth can't the ADA see that too? Have you seen their latest thing where they are saying that sugar is ok for diabetics as long as it doesn't exceed their limits for the day??!! Good Grief!!

myshades
Tue, Mar-18-03, 06:09
Thanks for the suggestion to post to Dr. Bernstein's forum. Funny I looked there and I did post once about my daughter's experience with inositol-- which I just put here in response to Chloe........I just don't see a forum name that laser therapy would fall under. Personal stories is about the only one but I don't have a personal story about it. You do, however. You could start a thread under personal stories and then I could answer. Oh well if you decide to do that let me know. Anyway when I bring up laser therapy *almost* everyone thinks I am looney. It is just so nice to have someone who has experienced the benefits from all these energy treatments. As for Brimhalls, yes my ND (health coach is what she calls herself) has taken some of their seminars. Some of the energetic vials I ordered include things like angiotensin converting enzyme, Endothelin-1, bovine serum albumin, etc. Can you self muscle test? I could send you a list. You are fortunate that your chiropractor is so interested in diet. Did he muscle test you to find out you needed meat? I really think blood type might just be a correlation to the type of diet needed, and not an exact thing. For Type 1 diabetes there are *extra* reasons to avoid some carbohydrates, because wheat proteins and milk proteins are implicated in autoimmunity. I might actually start a thread on that, because I am trying to identify every single food and non food possible antigen for Type 1 diabetes, so I can order custom vials on all of them.

Here's to low carb!!! (and avoiding Type 1 antigens). Diabetes I have found, is a progressive disease-- and Type 1 people are at high risk for insulin resistance and insulin resistant people are at high risk for Type 1. Low carb is one great way to break this cycle. Those with carb cravings are probably at least somewhat insulin resistant.

bethschein
Tue, Mar-25-03, 09:49
I just found this site. I've been on a modified Atkins diet since January and feel great!

I use a laser for all sorts of troubles with good results. I got one from Radio Shack at my therapist's suggestion. She and her husband (a chiropractor) have used the lasers for years. Then she started using one at exactly 635nm that seemed stronger and has an adjustable beam that you can make wider to cover larger areas. I don't want to be accused of spamming, or I'd say how to contact my therapist to buy one. If you want more info check my profile and contact me privately.

kjturner
Sat, Apr-05-03, 15:51
myshades,

Yes, my chiro muscle tested me on the protein thing. Especially since I'm a blood type A. (He encourages his patients to follow blood type diet, but he's also fond of Schwarzbein, so he has combined the blood type recommendations with the Schwarzbein advice on avoiding simple starches/sugars)
I had gone on the Type A diet and it did not agree with me at all, so I had him test me on many things and we determined that in spite of being a blood type A, I apparently do quite well with lots of protein including beef. In fact, I test quite well for beef--I actually do best on bison! I have also had my blood analyzed under microscope and I apparently handle a high protein diet very well. No signs of inability to digest proteins at all. (I watched while they analyzed it--MOST interesting!) A month or so ago I read the book "Metabolic Typing Diet" and determined I am a Protein Type, which didn't surprise me. My Dad was an A, my Mom was an O; Dad has some siblings that are also O's. My sister is an O and I am an A. So I am apparently what has been referred to as an "O-like A". A's are usually depicted as needing to be more vegetarian--still requiring much protein, but should obtain it from non-animal sources. Well, I did that for 14 months and I became diabetic (no, diabetes does not run in my family on either side). The books I've read on Blood Type Diet simply don't adequately address the diabetic Type A. So I'm 'doing' Dr.Bernstein/Atkins type of diet, but trying to basically eat according to what is/is not recommended for a blood type A (avoiding liquid milk and nightshade veggies, etc) and it's working quite well for me. All of my 'numbers' are much improved. It's been almost 2 years now and I'm pleased. I've recently hit a stall in my weight loss, but I've also been going through some truly major upsets in my life and I'm coping as best I can. When things settle down again I expect I'll begin to lose again. I'm holding my own, though...

myshades
Tue, May-27-03, 18:26
Well, I found someone else in the USA using lasers to lower blood sugars (on the internet that is). Of course, if he also started low carbing at the same time, that could explain the dramatic change in blood sugars. FWIW, here is a "testimonial" from a laser therapy site. I think this is a different type laser than Erchonia.

http://www.laserinformation.com/custom/cp1.html#Pain

"Diabetes.
I have experienced diabetes most of my adult life. In January of this year, my doctor gave 1 month to get my blood sugar count down (254) or she was going to start me on insulin. I wasn't much interested in insulin as everyone I knew that had started on it was now dead. I started lasering my pancreas with the Q1000 laser for one 3-minute session per day. During the first week, my blood sugar counts (as tested on two different machines) dropped about 20 points per day. I kept lasering every day, but my blood sugar count started going up. I called Dr. Lytle and he indicated that I had probably "gone over the top of the bell curve" and to only laser every other (or 3rd) day. I backed off to lasering 2 or 3 times per week, and my blood sugar counts have now stablized - without any additional treatment methods - at 135. Robert Rumph, MT"

Mesao
Sat, Mar-20-04, 16:01
I just found this site. I've been on a modified Atkins diet since January and feel great!

I use a laser for all sorts of troubles with good results. I got one from Radio Shack at my therapist's suggestion. She and her husband (a chiropractor) have used the lasers for years. Then she started using one at exactly 635nm that seemed stronger and has an adjustable beam that you can make wider to cover larger areas. I don't want to be accused of spamming, or I'd say how to contact my therapist to buy one. If you want more info check my profile and contact me privately.

Bethschein....I am just comming across your message from awhile ago but you mention a laser you can get, that has a wider scope than the one from Radio shack...I am interested...see my profile..to email me. Thnks.

simplydawn
Sun, Mar-28-04, 22:58
I, too am interested, I did try to pm, but couldnt get it thru.. so would love info.. My co worker Massage therapist just mentioned this treatment to me in an email the other day, so I was surprised to see this thread.

I will be studying this some more.. and checking out where to 'get' a laser, to begin working on myself with this.

happy2lose
Tue, Mar-30-04, 14:57
Wow...was just checking out the threads...this is really interesting....I think it calls for more info for sure. Wondering if Radio Shack up in Canada might carry the laser?

Happy

Mesao
Sat, Apr-03-04, 21:21
well i have done alot of research on laser therapy....there are really good ones out there for a couple of thousand dollars...but I was just wondering what the deal is with the smaller ones....probably just not as effective or strong i guess....i mean if its a pinpoint laser then it wouldnt be that powerful...if you used it on your pancreas for sugar metabolism then you would most certainly have to know where you were pointing. Anyway one way or another, I am investing in one. Its excellent for so many important things....and I dont think it will be long before its off the market for the general public. I am doing real well on Atkins, i feel good, thats the point, so i move more often......yea! what the heck is sugar alcohol ?

Sea Saw
Tue, Apr-06-04, 19:16
Where would you buy a Q1000 laser and how do you get trained on using it?

I presume that soon it will be unlawful to buy one.

Mesao
Wed, Apr-07-04, 05:44
http://www.cihs.ca/Products/Lasers/Q1000.htm This is the link for the Q1000. I think they can tell you about the training, I have that question too, I'm just about to undergo kidney surgery, so I wont have time for a month to finish my research. Thor is another company, I think they are more expensive, but look okay, I need to compare the specs before I can decide. The Erchonia laser is the other one worth looking at. http://www.erchonia.com/pages/lasers.html It is not unlawful to buy lasers.
Be well.+++++

Sea Saw
Sat, Apr-17-04, 21:30
Thank you. I hope all goes well with your surgery and healing, and you will posting soon!

Megansmom
Sat, Dec-15-12, 17:15
My daughter, 11, was just diagnosed with Type 1 3 weeks ago. It has been a whirlwind and not the fun kind. We have dealt with other issues with our 2 boys so our belief from the onset was that we were going to find a way to get her off of insulin. We've already started cold laser treatments. My boys were getting CL for their auditory issues and when I read up on how it can help diabetes I asked our therapist if we could use it for Megan. She agreed but hasn't ever treated for this. Luckily, she has a laser that has all 3 lights, red, infared and purple which from what I understand, is very good. The problem is she has 1200 settings and many subsettings within each setting. For now. we are treating using the 'quantam' setting. I've heard that there is some belief that type 1 starts in the liver. If so, should we add milk thistle to her diet? I've also read that she should be using colloidal silver, grape seed extract. We do not have any genetic history so we are going on the theory that this is a virus or autoimmune. So that being the case shouldn't we also add lyseine and possibly acidophilus? How long should we do the laser? Meg is 74lbs 4'11". Right now we are only doing 5 min 3-4/week. She's already gotten her BS #'s down by an average of 85 points. Any suggestions? I also read that there is some belief that type 1 is a result of an Enteric Virus (in the intestines, thus the acidophilus). I'm so excited I found this thread. Thank you all for posting....
Karen