PDA

View Full Version : How many carbs a day is recommended?...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fernvalley
Sat, Mar-01-03, 21:02
I'm just new to this, just diagnosed with hypothyroidism three weeks and started Armour thyroid. I gained 30 pounds just this past year with no change in diet or exercise. :( I have not been able to get the weight off.

I've been reading that carbs turn to sugar immediately as you age (I'm 40). So how many carbs a day is recommended anyway? (I love them... :eek: )
Fern

Karen
Sat, Mar-01-03, 21:18
Hi Fern!

That entirely depends on what plan you decide to follow. Have a look at Which Low Carb Plan is Right for me? to the right of the page.

In any case, refined grains and sugars are not part of any plan. :thdown:

I personally recommend Proten Power. ;)

Karen

Paleoanth
Sun, Mar-02-03, 12:11
Hey!

I am hypothyroid and had the same 30 pound weight gain. Tried everything-low fat, more exercise, less calories...nada. The doctor put me on Atkins which starts you out at 20 g of carbs a day. Has worked really well. Try reading up on Atkins or the low carb plan of your choice.

The doc also mentioned that with hypo people, we do not process carbs really well-he told me that I would probably never get above 45-50 a day. With Atkins, you increase your carbs 5 g a week after induction to see where you stop losing. For me that was around 40. So, I guess he was right and I will be at 45-50 for maintenance when I get to my goal weight.

Good luck!

Paleoanth