PDA

View Full Version : Other Supplements While Fighting Candida?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joan_s
Wed, Feb-26-03, 01:13
Two weeks ago, I began taking various supplements, including Primrose Oil, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Green Tea, Chromium Picolinate and Fish Oils.

Yesterday, after determining that I likely have a Candida problem, I began taking Nystatin and Acidophilus.

Can anyone tell me if the Candida treatment has any detrimental effects on the supplement intake?

I've done quite a bit of reading on both, but didn't se anything that addressed this specific question.

-Joan

jessea
Thu, Feb-27-03, 15:13
I have read alot about Candida, and have never seen anything about how anti-fungals affect other supplements. I would thing they would not effect them, but don't quote me on that.

I usually take the anti-fungals at night. That way the die-off reaction isn't so bad. Then I would take all my other supps during the day time.

I would recommend along with what you are already taking, to get something with psyllium husks in it. It will help to "clean out". Also, take L-Glutamine. I take L-Glutamine three times a day, it helps to heal your stomach/intestines.

I have been on this regimine for two months, and am finally seeing some improvement. It was hard to be patient at first. I wanted a miracle cure and I wanted it NOW. But all things take time.

Good luck!!!!

-Jess

joan_s
Thu, Feb-27-03, 22:34
Thanks...I'll try those supplements as well.

One more question, about taking anti-fungals at night.

Here in Cyprus, I could not get the tablet version of Nystatin, so I got the liquid. The pharmacist assured me it would work as well as the tabs.

As per the directions, I am taking 1ml 4x a day. Do you think I could take all 4mls at night instead? I'd prefer to take it all at once!

pv3882
Fri, Feb-28-03, 19:19
Joan -
The thing about Candida is that if you are trying to go about it on your own - you would have to experiment with the supplements and see how it works.

But if you want a faster relief, you have to be on a strict diet. That has worked miracle for me! Medications will only help you but the diet is the key ingredient to fighting candidia. I'm on Atkin's strict regime diet for candida sufferer and it works. But that's only my personal experience. You have to find a diet that works for you. If your symptoms are not severe, a diet will give you if not immediate relief, than a quite faster one than relying on supplements.

Good Luck

jessea
Sat, Mar-01-03, 07:54
Yes, the diet is the most IMPORTANT!! It will not only get rid of the candida, but will prevent it's return, as long as you are sticking with it!! I plan on low carbing for the rest of my life, I do not want to ever have to go through this again!!

As for your question about Nystatin, I am not sure. Who prescribed the Nystatin for you? I would rather take it all in one shot, too, but maybe that particular drug works better the way it is prescribed. I would ask the pharmacist, or your physician.

Good luck, keep us posted!

-Jess