PDA

View Full Version : Notice They Don't Lose Much Weight

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KoKo
Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:26
After trying this diet (Atkins) for 5 or 6 weeks,without impressive results I am quitting it, for me its been a waste of time. There are reasons its not working for me, at the age I am now, any weight loss would be slower than it used to be. I have met a lot of really nice people on this forum and do not want to hurt or offend any of them. But.... it's kind of hard not to notice that most people here are not actually losing much weight, most seem to stall after the initial weight loss and if they are happy losing a pound or two every six months then good for them, but I need faster action and a more varied diet than Atkins allows.

What do others think about this general lack of loss going on with LC dieters?

cartmanis
Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:07
I won't speak to the lack of progress, I'm not a quick loser myself, 12-13 pounds in the same time period you mentioned. But, just the fact that I have so much more energy, no more hunger/cravings, and just overall feeling better is enough to keep me eating LC. Sure, it annoys the heck out of me I'm not one of the people losing 20-30 pounds by now, but the good things are just to substantial to ignore.

Just MHO :)

jessea
Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:22
I have to say, I am a slow loser as well, but the benefits of this plan outway the slow weight loss. I am feeling healthier than I have in years, and am taking care of alot of health issues that were diet related.

I don't think it is fair for you to mention how many people are "not losing much weight". Most people on this plan are here because no other plan worked for them. We are all working very, very hard to make this work. Nothing in life is easy. I really don't think you are going to find a plan out there that will make the weight drop off like you think it should. And plans that cause weight loss like that are bad for your health.

I think you need to educate yourself, get some good books about nutrition.

Yes, I have only lost three pounds in two months, but it is more than I did on any other plan. It doesn't matter how long the journey takes, as long as you keep moving. Like I said, weight loss isn't the only issue. A lifetime of bad eating habits cannot be erased in a few months.

Good luck to you in whatever path you choose, but please send no bad thoughts to the rest of us. We know what we are doing.

-Jess

Ogden
Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:31
I don't know about eveyone else, but I always forget to update my profile so if you are judging weight-loss by profile numbers alone, you may not be getting the real picture. I don't expect to lose weight at a miracle pace, it took me 20 years to get this heavy and if it takes me 2 years to get to my goal, then that's what it takes. Then again, this is not a diet for me, and I can understand that some folks would like more variety and options in their food choices.

Good luck in finding something that works for you! If you find your quick-fix please come back and let us know about it.

KoKo
Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:52
Originally posted by KoKo
. I have met a lot of really nice people on this forum and do not want to hurt or offend any of them.

Hi Jessea :)

I certainly do not send any bad thoughts to anyone and am sorry if I came accross that way. I just think that this diet is too much touted as a quick way to lose weight. I have stated maybe not in the post that started this thread that for some people this is a miracle diet but not for me. I just wondered if there were many others who had tried the plan and felt as I do.

I actually do know quite a bit about nutrition.(I just choose to disregard it in sake of vanity at times) For me emotional health is harder to come by than physical, luckily I am quite blessed with comparatively good physical health but have a lot of issues with body image and a few extra pounds causes me such distress that maybe a lot of people can't understand.

Once again, I am not trying to hurt or offend anyone, please do not take it that way. I congratulate anyone who is losing weight :thup: , it can be a difficult thing to do.

:wave:

Lisa N
Tue, Feb-25-03, 16:51
While I have to say that losing 75 pounds in 2 years may not be breaking any speed records, the other things I've lost keep me going.
What else have I lost? 2 prescription medications, high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, that bone-tired exhaustion I always had, my addiction to sugar, and oh yeah....being resigned to being fat forever. :D
I've also gained a few things, too. Knowledge about how my body works and what works best for keeping it healthy, self esteem that I thought I had lost forever, pride in accomplishing what I set out to accomplish and the encouragement to set higher goals for myself. I'm learning to love myself at any size and learning to not define myself by the numbers on the scale or the number on that tag inside my pants. I've found again that inner strength and determination that I thought I had lost for good.
A low carb lifestyle isn't for everyone and it's unfortunate that people get the impression that they will lose huge amounts of weight in just a short time even if they only have a few pounds to lose. That leads to such disappointment and disillusion when it doesn't happen like they think it should.
Weight loss is really only a small part of what low carbing is all about. It's more about being as healthy as you were intended to be for life.
I wish you success in your journey to finding happiness and weight loss whichever method you choose.

jessea
Tue, Feb-25-03, 17:26
I am really sorry, didn't mean to come across so strong. I am laid up with sinus/bronchial infection and on top of that, am getting the flu everyone else in the house has.

When I re-read my post I thought, oh, wish I had a rewind button on my computer. Didn't mean to come across that way. Guess I am ultra-sensitive today.

Hope you can forgive me, I usually try to be helpful. There are alot of nice people on this forum, I am glad we got to meet you too,Koko, good luck to you.

I had alot of problems with self esteem when I was younger. I thought I was too hideous to even leave the house. Now that I am older, I feel much better. Having kids helps, they love me even when I am feeling "ugly". I hope that you find the peace of mind to accept yourself, you are beautiful, no matter what you weigh!

Good luck, and check back from time to time, let us know how you are doing!

-Jess

Jewelgirl
Thu, Feb-27-03, 21:57
I'm left wondering how much you have to lose. I've noticed that it's the ones who don't have much to lose who look at this as a quick weight loss diet. There are a bunch of us who look at this as something that saved our lives and therefore it's become a WOL. I'm so thankful I saw the Dateline story about Josh M. in July and it made so much sense to me. I got it right away. I haven't felt this good in years and that includes about 7-8 years ago when I lost 40 lb. doing low fat(only to regain that and then some).

Here are some of my thoughts at my 6 mo. mark that I posted on another site. They still hold true.

From Jan. 20, 2003
"Well today marks 6 months of low carbing. I started the Atkins’ plan on July 20 of last year. I was just tallying all the things that I've gained since I decided to change my life forever(and I mean forever.....some things just will not have a place in my life anymore since I've ditched them....sugar and white starch, basically).
I feel fantastic. Aside from a few bouts of some allergic reactions to something unknown as of yet(suspecting my feather pillow instead of food), I’ve gained so many other things.

I no longer have the constant hunger that I was plagued with before embarking on this lifestyle. I used to eat from the time that I got home from work until I went to bed(about 8 hours nonstop).

I no longer limp to the bathroom like I used to do every morning upon arising from bed because my feet were in pain. I no longer have the leg aches that I used to have whenever I was on my feet all day at work. Those are gone, gone, gone. I just noticed the other day that the skin on my face is so much softer than it ever was and the color is great(no longer pasty, greyish, and bloated). I attribute that to finally eating a healthy amount of fat instead of almost no fat that was my diet prior to starting this WOL.

My dh and I have a more intimate relationship, even after 30 years of marriage and despite his complaints about parts of my anatomy getting smaller(he likes fat butts and breasts....weirdo, though I’ve told him that I’m not giving up a healthier body to get them back).

I have a much greater amount of energy than I’ve ever had before, even when I was in my twenties. I roll around on the floor with my grandsons with no trouble(I don’t remember my grandparents ever being able to do that).

I love being able to wear all my old smaller clothing and not having to shop in plus size clothing anymore. I look forward to going shopping for a whole new wardrobe when I finally reach my goal.

I've gained a body that weighs 51 pounds less, 229 to 178(now 175). I've gained a slimmer body by losing mucho body fat.

I've gained a smaller body by losing 29" from the 4 things I measured. My bust went from 47 to 43", my waist from 41 to 32", and my hips from 50 to 44"(yahoo). I've also lost 5" from each thigh.

I just feel so much younger now. Remember the old fountain of youth that everybody was searching for? Well, I feel like I've found it."

The health results alone are enough to keep me with this WOL. This winter is the first in a long time that I didn't worry or think about putting another 5-10 pounds on my body.....and I didn't. I actually lost a few. My loses have slowed down but I'm not worried in the least because I know that it will start again.

DarthCazzi
Thu, Feb-27-03, 23:41
First of all, learn to speak for yourself, rather than make a sweeping generalization. I, along with many people I know personally, have lost fast and continued losing. Usually, when someone complains to me that they're not losing fast enough...it can be traced back to doing the diet incorrectly. EVERYONE stalls at some point, no matter if it's a diet, a weight lifting progream, cardio, doesn't matter, everyone stalls at some point. Now, some do the diet correctly and still lose slow, but point is they STILL LOSE...not to mention the health benifits. What is this extreme need for speed in losing? Any more than 2-3lbs a week and chances are ur losing muscle, no matter how much protein ur eating.
Bottom line is, you are a quitter. Sorry to be harsh, but essentially, that's what you are. You will go from diet to diet (as you probably already have) and complain about something in each one of them. Basically, you are just looking for reasons to quit. And this garbage about, "I know something about nutrition....but I ignored it for the sake of vanity." Wow, very poetic. I am sick of people who take a nutrition class or become a nutritionist (some of the most clueless people on the planet) and try to dispense their views with this "School house nutrition." You are all tought out of the same book, open your minds for once. Why dont we all start having 3 square meals a day, with milk and a nice slice of Mom's apple pie afterwards. If you dont like the diet, fine, beat it....don't drag others down who may be doubting themselves. This is a life long process, not a race to "look good for summer." :mad:

Karen
Fri, Feb-28-03, 01:22
Another way to look at it...

If you had started at 250 pounds, and your lean body mass was 125 pounds, you would possibly have lost 20 pounds in six weeks. Impressive? Yes!

Now you only have 90 or so more pounds to go.

It's all in the perspective and the attitude.

Karen

Kristine
Fri, Feb-28-03, 21:50
Hi Koko,

I know you're under the impression that a lot of people are "stalled" or "not losing much weight," but remember that when you see people post questions, it's most likely to be people having trouble. People who *aren't* having trouble don't have anything to post about! Know what I mean? Don't let the people having problems lead you to think that *everyone* is having problems.

I, for one, have had a smooth journey. :thup: Low-carbing saved my sanity and probably my life. I flipped through your journal a bit, and it sounds like you need to pick a plan and stick to it. Stop plan-hopping trying to find something faster - just find something that satisfies your appetite and health, and stay with it. Faster has never been healthier.

Best of luck...

Karen
Sat, Mar-01-03, 03:30
I, for one, have had a smooth journey. Low-carbing saved my sanity and probably my life.

Me too. Any percieved problems I have with low-carbing were created by me so I find ways to solve them. And the way I solve them is by going back to the basic program I started with. I have only myself to search and critique, not the program. It's delivered what it said it would do if I'm faithful to it. If I'm not being faithful, then I'm just being stupid.

Having painful and desperate times is part of the opportunity to learn. It can be ignored, but at what cost?

Karen

Kathy54
Sat, Mar-01-03, 10:20
WEll Said Karen :thup:

Cheers Kathy

gracie-poo
Sat, Mar-08-03, 16:16
Like Kristine said, there are plenty of people who have lost weight easily on Atkins. I lost 45 pounds in 6 months, most of that in the first two months.

The difference is that I am young, and this was the first real diet I have been on. You can't expect miracles when you have yo-yo dieted your metabolism to $hit, sorry!

PoofieD
Sat, Mar-08-03, 17:45
The difference is that I am young, and this was the first real diet I have been on. You can't expect miracles when you have yo-yo dieted your metabolism to $hit, sorry!

You unfortunately have a point!!! LOL
Would that it were not so!
Nedra

HerbNurse
Sun, Mar-09-03, 15:49
Originally posted by Karen
<b>Me too. Any percieved problems I have with low-carbing were created by me so I find ways to solve them. And the way I solve them is by going back to the basic program I started with. I have only myself to search and critique, not the program. It's delivered what it said it would do if I'm faithful to it. If I'm not being faithful, then I'm just being stupid.</b>

Well said Karen!!

Koko

It is so much easier to blame this WOE for not losing then to accept responsibility for your own actions. Have you really followed it to the letter?

Hum, I wonder?

HN

gkeenan
Sun, Mar-09-03, 19:41
Koko, I often wonder why posts like this one tend to make so many angry and defensive. You did not have a good run at it...that is ok, and I wish you good luck with whatever you find. I for one had a very long stall (almost a year) but finally got to the point of looking at how I was doing Atkins (or not doing Atkins...lol) and found many many flaws in my plan. I've upped my fat, lowered my protein and calories and the whoosh fairy has been visiting me on a regular basis for about a month now (dropped a whole size in one month!) This way of eating has never made me feel like I have to defend my choices rather it be to someone that thinks it is a dangerous plan or to someone that did not lose on it...I'm not sure why so many get so upset...anyways...good luck in whatever you do, I hope you find peace.

Gail

HerbNurse
Mon, Mar-10-03, 09:04
koko

I came back this morning and read my post and want to apologize for coming across so harsh.

I had the same problem, never lost weight and I thought Atkins WOE was a bunch of bunk!! Then I looked at what I was eating and I was fooling myself. I was cheating. Maybe ever so slightly and not that much to where I thought it would make a difference, but it did. I too was in denial for a very long time. Now I know better.

I wish you well on whatever course of action you take to get to your goal.

HN

eva123
Tue, Mar-11-03, 01:59
I read this thread entirely this morning and, wow!! I only have one thing in mind: why do people take offence when someone gives his/her humble opinion.?
The plan is suitable for some people and inadequate for others. That is a fact.

Please let's take the time to distinguish between a generalisation (gosh, is this even an english word?) and one's self analysis.

I have not lost much on Atkins but because I decided when I started that it'd be a WOL, I found days when it really pisses me off but <b>many</b> more when I am thinking it will take time. I know it will, weight did not come in one day. True: it is frustrating but hey......... I try and be reasonable (at times)
It is really the first time I am following a "diet" plan (i prefer to say WOE or different nutritional combination) :read:

Also, I believe that the fewer the pounds you have to lose, the longer it takes... do not know much about body science but it seems to be that way.

My post on this thread is only to
*wish good luck to those who came here because they, too, did not lose much and
*congratulate those who are steadily losing the extra pounds. it must be great to have find the right combination.

<b>gracie-poo</b> I can only agree that yo-yo dieters have definitely screwed their metabolism. Surely their poor system does not know what is what anymore! Yet, I have never done any diet and AT THE MOMENT, hit a stall. I am sure it is normal and I just need to find the right switch to turn on! ok, ok.. it won't happen this week after this bad week!! (after 3 months of being the perfect pupil, I messed everything up last week with more carbs than expected! guilty) :nono:

<b>HerbNurse</b> Although I can never say this is a bunch of bunk (which i suppose means something brown and smelly..), I will definitely look more closely at what I eat. Every little bit could potentially hide something inducing the stall. So many people have made it work for them (success stories).

I am not attacking anyone. Just giving my point of view. Everyone is looking for whatever will make them happy and satisfied with the results.

Thing to keep in mind (in my opinion): there is no quick fix yet it is imperative you feel good with your programme to ensure you stick with it. This has also given me the opportunity to gain, as <b>LisaN</b> puts it, a better understanding of how "my body works". That is important, especially as a woman. I am 28 and had no idea hormones affected my body so much! Sad I know :blush:

Ciao! :wave:

KoKo
Tue, Mar-11-03, 17:57
I was wrong ok,I sincerely apologize,Please let it be

I made the post "notice they don't lose much weight". I regret it, I wish I had not done that. On the day that I made that post I was very upset, had been doing Atkins for over a month and was 3 pounds heavier than when I started, before anyone jumps in and says "oh I read your journal and you did this wrong or that wrong" I am being quite fair in my comparison that if I had been on any other diet and cheated as seldom as I did on Atkins with the same result I would have been just as upset. To some of you 3 lbs is not a lot, to me it is a good percentage of what I have to lose, so it is a big deal.

So back to the point, I was really upset, I'm a very emotional person and I guess I was taking anger out in a very stupid way. I went a week or so later to edit the post and the edit time limit had past. I realize that I probably could have asked a mediator to delete it but I figured hey I did it I might as well take the shit for it. What I didn't think of was how it might continue to haunt me, thinking that I might hurt people that I have come to look on as freinds. This will be a lesson to me that my temper tantrums even when they are virtual still have very real consequences.

I would ask you all to please forgive me and not make any more postings to that thread.

jessea
Tue, Mar-11-03, 22:28
We all love ya, Koko, no apologies needed. We all have bad days. I have read some really mean posts on here, and yours could never be considered mean. I don't think you have an unkind bone in your body!

You are brave and I am proud of you for not quitting!

Have a great day!!!!!

-Denise

eva123
Wed, Mar-12-03, 01:54
Why are you apologising?!

I disagree KoKo. Who are you apologising to? Your post clearly stated it was your experience:

<b>After trying this diet (Atkins) for 5 or 6 weeks,without impressive results I am quitting it, for me its been a waste of time.
There are reasons its not working for me, at the age I am now, any weight loss would be slower than it used to be. </b>

You were asking for people's thoughts, not starting a war.

Do not apologise for this. Not many would have even dared say it; so, stay true and natural.

Sydney1030
Fri, Mar-14-03, 15:22
I have been really happy with the low-carb way of eating and it's the only thing that has worked for me to rid myself of the weight I gained w/2 pregnancies in 3 years. I used to eat low-fat, low calorie and work out 5-6 days a week, but never got closer than 7lbs away from my goal weight (my pre-pregnancy weight). Now I eat all I want, just low-carb. I'm never hungry, my skin is better (no breakouts), I have more energy and never need a nap in the afternoon like I used to. I workout 2-3 days a week and am seeing great results. I'm 9 lbs away from my goal weight and know that I'll reach it no problem as long as I stick to my low-carb way of life. No-one can believe I look this good only 4 months after my daughter's birth! Low-carb is now a way of life for me.
HOWEVER, I do believe that no plan works for everyone, and for some low-carbing isn't the way to go. No biggy. All people are different, and one way of eating won't work for all.

gkeenan
Sun, Mar-23-03, 21:12
you know KoKo when I posted before it was before I sat down and did the stats...I'm averaged about 3lbs a month for the past 18 months...that sucks! I never realized how slow this diet is until I came to this board...I am finding I am fed up...want this weight off before it has an opportunity to kill me...at the rate I'm going I will be on this diet for another year before I see my goal weight...like you that is not acceptable. There are wonderful trade offs with this woe but I want the weight off...I started Atkins to lose weight my goal is to lose weight. I'm discouraged for the first time ever on this diet... The problem I have now is that I am sort of a prisoner of Atkins...if I eat carbs it messes with my digestive track...it is very painful, thus, I stay to low carbing...I wish I had know how much it would mess up my system and how difficult it will be to switch to something else. No matter what if I eat carbs now I will gain...excited this week that I was down 1 lb can you imagine that...excited over one lb! :confused:

tigersue
Wed, Mar-26-03, 20:42
I'm a pretty slow looser, I lose better on TSP, I think she explains why some people gain, or lose very slowly on the programs. It is all in how healthy your hormonal system is. The more you have to heal the harder it is.
For me this WOE, really is about healing, not so much about weight loss, though trust me, I wish it could be faster. I am one of those that cheers at a 1 pound a month loss. That for me is good. Always has been, hasn't mattered if it was low carb, or low fat.
Tanya

wwdimmitt
Thu, Mar-27-03, 08:46
Tiger:

The great thing is that, even though the trend is slow, the trend is downward! A year from now you will be about 12 pounds less fat, permanently.

The most encouraging signs that I see on these boards are people like yourself who are reversing the long term trend whereby most of us gained all that unhealthy, and unwanted, fat in the first place.

My personal trend is somewhat faster, but it will still take me well over one year of dedicated low carb regimen to get at or near my goal weight and body fat percentage.

But, in the meantime, my health and well being has improved hugely, in just six months! I am in better shape now than I have been in the past 20-25 years, and that is why this WOE is well worth the persistent, somewhat slow, effort that it takes to make it successful.

This is not a fad diet to reach some short term goal, this is a lifelong way of eating that will maintain fitness and good health. IMHO, of course!

Keep on, keepn' on! :wave:

tigersue
Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:10
I could give a number of example of what has changed for me doing this, but it is all in my journal. Loosing weight is a patience game, it will always be that for me, so my goal is to be more patient than my body. IT will have to give in first not my will.
Tanya :spin:

alibubble
Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:53
Hi Koko,

Please don't be upset, I have no idea why your original post would offend anyone. I thought it was a perfectly acceptable observation, one that I have also made.

Unfortunately some folk on here use bullying tactics. They can't see your face, so it's easy for them to be nasty to you.

Good luck and let's hope that all of us find what's right for us.

Ali

Rosebud
Sat, Mar-29-03, 17:35
Unfortunately some folk on here use bullying tactics. They can't see your face, so it's easy for them to be nasty to you.
Ali, can I just remind you about the "report this post to a moderator" button at the bottom of every post?

This board has zero tolerance for bullying or nastiness, so if you ever see a post that you find offensive, please report it rather than mention it in a future thread.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Pugzilla
Sat, Apr-26-03, 15:34
Atkins is my last chance at losing weight. If this doesn't work for me, I will be getting surgery.

I posted this thought after I did my first Induction and was disappointed with my weight loss. I thought I was losing too slowly and was ready to abandon the plan.

However, someone wisely advised me to give it at least 6 months, as surely that is how much prep time it will take before I could have the surgery anyway.

That was pretty good advice and I have now committed to following this plan - probably for life, but at least for the next 6 months to give it a really fair shot.

And you know what? I haven't remeasured myself but I can tell my clothes are getting loser. Someone who hadn't seen me in a while asked me if I was losing weight. And most of all, I feel so unbelievably better both physically AND mentally that it will be easier to stay with Atkins than to abandon it.

So, I am hopeful that I make significant progress in these upcoming months. I believe I am already on my way there, even though I too seem to be losing slowly so far.

I'm sure Atkins or any other plan for that matter, isn't for everyone. I hope you find the one that will work for you and wish you nothing but the best. However, I hope that whichever plan you choose, you give it at least a fair chance of working, and to do that, you might have to stick with it for longer than 5 or 6 weeks.

Good Luck! :sunny:

Isphet
Sun, Apr-27-03, 16:54
Me? I ADORE this entire low carb thing. I've lost weight easily, and inches even more easily, but that has become a mere 'side effect' when I put it beside the fact that on Atkins I have never felt better (after 5 years of ill health Atkins has miraculously cleared everything up within 8 weeks), I am bursting with energy and optimism and, I am sincerely sorry it doesn't work for everyone, but for me ... it has been brilliant.

I am a fairly positive person, and a fairly calm one, I'm happy with what I've achieved, and my doctor is even happier. My weight loss has slowed a bit now from my intial splurge, but that' fine with me. I don't expect miracles, but for me Atkins has been one of the most unexpected and most glorious of gifts in my life. I owe this man big time.

Daethian
Sun, Apr-27-03, 20:46
Well let's see its taken me 10 years to gain 100lbs.
Its taken 5 months to lose 26lbs.

Any loss, whether slow or not is better than a gain. I'm not starving, I'm not suffering. I got rid of my acid reflux, I sleep better, I excersize more, I eat more veggies and fresh foods. This is nearly an unconscious way of life for me now.... I rarely think about it. I'm very happy to be able to eat as I'd like and still lose weight! I've found a substitute for nearly everything I was missing. More and more low carb foods are coming on the market every day. There's a reason for that.

Baconbabe
Thu, May-08-03, 14:25
I think the losers out weigh the NOT losers...and if you look closely at the majority of people who aren't losing...they are doing it wrong and probably cheating :) If they are in a true stall then it will pass....i stalled twice for over a month but still lost 50lbs very easily..eating way more food..way more calories...and exercising lightly...

Sorry you couldn't stick with it...but the problem is you...not low carb unfortunately :)

redawn
Tue, May-20-03, 12:46
Originally posted by Jewelgirl

I no longer limp to the bathroom like I used to do every morning upon arising from bed because my feet were in pain. I no longer have the leg aches that I used to have whenever I was on my feet all day at work.

Wow I just realised. . .i used to have that too. . .don't remember when it left! . . .used to be both feet so the limping was more like hop ow! hop ow! hop! OW! redawn:)

Pugzilla
Tue, May-20-03, 14:48
OMG, I completely forgot about waking up hobbling to the bathroom with achey feet! It HAS disappeared, so completely, actually, that I forgot all about it until I read your post.

Another reason to convince me...Atkins ROCKS! :D :wave:

pegm
Tue, May-20-03, 16:48
Me too! I also had the cracking, painful feet in the morning. Another thing I don't miss the the constant heartburn! It also feels great to easily skip up a flight of stairs instead of pulling myself up by the handrail, step by step, and gasping for breath at the top! Thank God for this forum and all of the support everyone has given me!

pegva
Wed, May-21-03, 13:51
Originally posted by Pugzilla
OMG, I completely forgot about waking up hobbling to the bathroom with achey feet! It HAS disappeared, so completely, actually, that I forgot all about it until I read your post.

Another reason to convince me...Atkins ROCKS! :D :wave:

With me it was my hands... I'd wake up with stiff achy hands... looked like bent claws. I was convinced it was early arthritis and that I'd have to live with it... no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thup:

CarolynC
Sat, May-24-03, 14:57
With me it was the knees. I'd wake up with them so stiff and achy that I'd limp around most of the morning. I thought it was arthritis, too. I was taking Aleve for pain on a daily basis, as well as glucosamine and chondroitin supplements.

Within a month of low carbing, my knees no longer hurt and the pain has not returned even once. I no longer take either pain killers or supplements for arthritis.

BJ_1971
Sat, May-24-03, 22:39
some of the people in my family that are on low carbs diets are not loosing much weight either but somehow they are losing some INCHES :thup: . i notice that in myself too. i have only lost 6 pounds but some how i am fitting into a jean skirt that wastoo small for me. it is amazing how only a few pounds can take off the inches. try to think of that ;) and remember that 4 sticks of butter is equal to one pound, so if someone loses 2 pounds then it is like they lost 8 sticks of butter off their body :daze:

kayla
Mon, May-26-03, 06:42
I agree this diet does not work I am not losing I exercise my butt off and only 1 inch down and after 3 weeks I'm ready to start screaming and running back to WW. All I read here is HELP I'm stalled and Help I'm not losing.

Lisa N
Mon, May-26-03, 07:22
Kayla...I took another peek at your Fitday journal and note that you're still keeping your calorie levels well below 1,250 and with the added exercise, your body could very well be going into "starvation mode" and hanging on to what it's got for dear life. If you're not getting enough calories to sustain your basal metabolism, your body responds by lowering your metabolism because it thinks that a famine has begun and it's trying to protect you from starvation. Logically, it might seem that it would make you lose faster, but it's really counterproductive.
If you're exercising a lot, you would also need more carbs than what you're currently getting too..well below 20 grams each day; Dr. Atkins doesn't recommend strenuous exercise while at induction levels of carbs. Try to get at least 20 grams by adding more veggies. If you put butter on those extra veggies, it will also help you get your calorie level up where it should be as well.
Last...not all ways of eating are for everyone. If you're more comfortable with WW and think you can get enough protein on that to keep you from losing lean body mass as you lose weight (also counterproductive because less lean body mass means less calories needed to sustain your weight and you will also look flabbier even at a good weight), there's nothing wrong with using that approach. For myself, I was always way too hungry on WW to stick with it and it did nothing for keeping my cravings at bay.

Here's a link to a list of possibilities to check as well: http://www.lowcarb.org/plateaus.html

bostonkarl
Tue, May-27-03, 07:42
Low Carbing is a WoE that I have found that I can stick to. I am not hungry 24/7. I eat foods that I like. I eat real foods: cheese, eggs, cream, meats, veggies, etc. I don't eat the processed cardboard junk. It has worked very well for me. It may not be everyone's cup of tea.

There may have been ways for me to lose weight faster in the short term, but I have stuck with this without it seeming like a visit to Haydes domain.

Iwilldoit
Fri, Jun-06-03, 23:22
Lots of good comments on this thread.

To me, it makes sense that some people might not lose much on a regimen designed to target a metabolic problem of insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia - not everybody has this dysfunction I think?
For those of us who do though, I think this is the ideal approach, and makes sense biochemically and we see the results.
The first time I started Atkins I went exactly by the book - lost 50 lbs the first three months (that's a 50 lbs it took several years to put on), and then another 25-30 over the next 4-5 months or so. I consider that to be a fast loss of weight actually. It's no wonder really that my body wanted to plateau for awhile (unfortunate that I was impatient and drifted away from my eating plan then).

I think LisaN's point about overdoing it on calorie and even carb restriction has a lot of merit too. Isn't this what basically happens to us with yo-yoing? The body gets so few calories it begins to think starvation has set in and holds tightly to whatever it can and even begins to override loss mechanisms and tries to go back to storing fat! This is one thing that has stalled me before, the intense suppression of appetite making it difficult to actually make myself eat enough in order to keep loss going at a reasonable rate!

Restarting this time, I didn't do an induction (my initial time, I lost 17 lbs in the 2 week induction), but just started back to OWL eating level and have still lost 32 lbs from Feb 1, and that's been with some major cheating like having company for a week in April and eating whatever was going!

All that said, I do think low carb may not be the correct, or perhaps the most successful, method for people who don't have the insulin resistance abnomality underlying their obesity.

Azraelle
Thu, Jun-19-03, 08:13
My symptoms b4 May 15, 2003:
1) Urine smelling sickly sweet (for about 2-3 months beforehand)
2) Brain fuzzy (it took me 2-3 months to remember that sickly sweet smelling urine is indicative of diabetis or pre-diabetic state)
3) REAL BAD heartburn, probably GERD, after EVERY meal without taking pepsid, moderately severe even with 2 pepsids or 3 zantacs, usually requiring the consumption of 4-5 "extra strength" TUMS, and 1 or more tsps of baking soda ~2 hours after EVERY meal. This has been occuring with increasing severity since age 20 or so, possibly earlier--I'm 50 now--b4 pepsid came on the open market, I was going through 2 bottles of TUMS per week!
4) Unrelenting heartburn no matter how many pepsids I took if the meal included lettuce, bananas, or cucumbers (or bread or onions to a lesser degree). Even the smell of lettuce or cukes was enough to trigger a headache.
5) 255 lbs. Had taken to wearing women's hip-hugger pants because they didn't cause my waist to hurt (because they ride much lower than the waist!

My symptoms now:
1) Urine no longer smelling sickly sweet.
2) (subjective I know) Brain seems alot more clear-headed.
3) (actually happened by end of first week to my complete surprise) No more heartburn! The last time I took a pepsid was about 2 weeks ago.
4) About 2 weeks ago, I tried an experiment--I ate a small lettuce salad for the first time in at least 5 years--no heartburn at all.
5) (actually happened by end of first week) ~230 lbs. Yeah I stalled, but then I also increased my carb intake to about 50-60 grams a day--mostly cannned fruit and honey roasted peanuts--noticed they caused my wt to creep up to ~237, quit, now back to ~230. Have lost at least 3 inches off my waist, though.

Even if I lose no more weight (God Forbid), I will never go back to hi-carb diet--as a matter of simple survival. I figure I've had my 50 years of sugar consumption--I ought to be greatful for that--the vast majority of the world's population finds a Hershey Bar (or it's equiv) to be an almost unheard-of luxury.

Give up the fixation on the the Almighty Pound, and instead concentrate on how you look and feel about yourself, and you will probably find that you are indeed experiencing success on Atkins. :roll:

Two final notes: Most non-Atkins diet experts consider 1 lb a week to be the maximum safe weight loss over time, so why do you feel 3 lbs in a month loss to be so agravating? After all, WW would not recommend much more than that as a maximum.
B4 I tried Atkins, I had stabilized my weight gain at about 245 using 3 capsules of Guggul-Bolic per day--that is until I ran out. Then my weight shot up to 255 in less than a month. Whether the wt stability was due to the purported metabolic increase of Guggul, or whether it was due to the fact that that number of capsule probably doubled my daily intake of fiber, I know not, however.

iamfuscia
Wed, Jun-25-03, 09:42
i was on atkins about eight years ago and found the monotony of the diet tidious. on neanderthin, i can eat fruit which i find very helpful. i love fruit and just a handful of berries can make a huge difference. protein power allows for the dryer wines (in fact, eades suggests that red wine, in particular, inhibits insulin production, possibly accounting for the 'french paradox'). while i haven't lost any real weight yet, i have lost an inch around my waist. more importantly, i have lost sleep apnea attacks, GERDs symptoms and i have seen rapid strength increases in a previously slow to stagnant weight training program. at the age of 46, my metabolism is not going to be the same as it was when i was 15 (i'd give my left testicle for that), so i probably need more than diet to get rid of this thing (beer gut). if you are in your glory years as well, if you are not already, you may want to consider a weight training program, a serious one.

gretchend
Wed, Jun-25-03, 13:03
You have testicles???? I thought by your picture and name that you were a female. That was a shock to read.

iamfuscia
Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:03
Originally posted by gretchend
You have testicles???? I thought by your picture and name that you were a female. That was a shock to read.

sorry to have startled you so. that's not my picture. that's rae dawn chong. i picked her in honor of my undertaking of the neanderthin plan (she was in 'quest for fire').

gretchend
Thu, Jun-26-03, 09:59
yes, I was startled there for a minute, thanks for clarifying, fuschia.

Tsve
Fri, Aug-22-03, 21:51
most people don't realize this, especially if they are of 'healthy' body weight like me, but in the atkins book there is some info about thyroid problems. while people who weigh more than what is considered healthy body weight( overweight or obese) can lose weight on atkins and other low carb plans, people with thyroid problems can not lose weight as their bodies have more lean muslce and less total fat. even those who lost a lot of pounds may have the thyroid problem and as these same people near an ideal body weight, they too stop losing. The main reason for this is that the body does not convert T4 in the liver in T3. The thyroid is responsible for this process. Most conventional doctors will not do this thyroid test and you have to go to a doctor that will do, not just a family practicioneer.
what causes thyroid problems? well, in atkins book, some of the signs are low body temperture and fatigue, amoung others. but a major cause that is becoming an increasing problem(leastwhys in the US) is the amount of estrogen in meat. animals are fed with chemicals to help them to grow faster. woman who take birth control are also especially victim to the thyroid problem. one of the best things to do in this scenario is to look for organic meats, that is non-steroid fed animals. I hear tyson chicken is hormone free, but most of the time when you go to the deli or buy a slim-jim, that meat is processed and once part of an animal that grew via hormones that can effect the human thyroid. the same applies to vegetables, for they're sprayed with pesticides that often cause the same problem. most people have not heard this much, but having a european background, it is no suprise to me that people from eastern europe aren't suffering from obesity like this possibly because they a) don't eat things like doritos and krispy kreme and b) don't eat hormone-injected beef.
and even for people that do eat healthy, it is not their faults y any account that the food ahs been tainted. it's a bad situation when you sit and think about it, but at least there is a lot of organically grown vegetables and fresh meat that can be purchased from whole-salers and markets.

gawdess
Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:41
I guess this diet works for me so far. I am not expecting miracles...I am not expecting to lose the entire 72 pounds all at once....I dont care if it takes me forever....One thing is certain...Atkins works for me, Im no longer reserved to the idea that I am going to be fat forever

tekunoroji
Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:32
I agree, Atkins is not for you. It sounds like you want a quick fix that you'll be able to stop doing when you reach your goal weight. As I'm sure you already know, from doing reading around this forum, this is a way of life not something to be abused when you need to shed some weight fast.

Besides, you do not look even mildly overweight to me. Perhaps you need toning, not actual loss. Just a thought.

- Meagan

antmess
Sun, Oct-19-03, 17:09
After reading all of this, I want you all to know that I am going, full steam ahead with this WOE. I'm sorry it didn't work out for KOKO, but I know that I am a cheater, and this is why it has not worked fully for me. If I had half the discipline everyone on here has, I would have reached my goal weight long ago. Instead I have good days, when I do really good with LCing, then I think, "it's ok, I've been good, I can cheat for the next few days". Honestly, I have not done 2 straight weeks of LCing. A little here, and a little there just isn't going to cut it. I want to thank each and every person for their thoughts. You have all definately inspired me. Hopefully, in the next 2 weeks, I wll have some good news to report!! :)

gymeejet
Sun, Oct-19-03, 18:55
as you may know, i am not a lover of low-carb diets. however, irregardless of what diet you may be trying, please do not judge it solely by your weight loss. remember, the goal of nutrition, is optimum health, not a target weight. if you are feeding your body the nutrients that it wants, your body will gradually get to the weight that brings it optimal health, but not necessarily one's opinion of optimal-looks-in-the-mirror.

also remember that the amount of fat that our body will keep is largely regulated by the number of adipose fat cells that we have. about the only time, that as an adult, we can increase that number, is during pregnancy or obesity. so for those of you who have been quite large, you may find it harder to get back to some desired fat-level, because you now have a greater number of fat cells.

addicted2s
Sun, Oct-19-03, 20:16
I never took the as a quick weight loss solution. Its the first program I have been able to stick to for more then a month.
20 pounds in eleven weeks for me is great sucess. I feel so much better then I have in years.
So if it takes me 5 years to take off the weight I have gained in 18 then I think thats great.
I'm actually hoping to hit goal weight in 15 more months, if I don't then no big deal , i'll still look and feel better then I do now.

gilibel
Tue, Oct-21-03, 08:07
It never cease to amaze me how people reply to threads without actually reading through them first. (Thinking about a few "half-harshish" replies on this page, several months later...)

Koko already replied on page 2, post 20, and said she had a bad day when starting this whole thread. She's apparently been continuing LC WOE ever since, as far as I can see, and also has a 100-pages somewhat journal for anyone to see.

Maybe give it (or at least Koko) a rest? ;)

/gil

ykmaggie
Wed, Oct-22-03, 17:45
Is the woman that origninally posted this still around? I hope so.

I lost 20 lbs 5 years ago on Atkins. Then I began a long struggle with my weight that culminated in my being diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 2.5 years ago.

Even after starting thyroid meds, I continued to gain weight. For example, I went on induction for 2 weeks and GAINED 3 pounds. I was devastated.

I reached an all time high of 182 lbs, and luckly through research I found an amazing naturalpath who agreed to do a phone consultation with me. Everything he 'diagnosed' me with over the phone was confirmed with blood tests.

1. I was undermedicated. I'm now taking 3 times what I was taking then;

2. I had very high levels of a steriod hormone and glucocorticoid (hormone that raises blood sugar);

3. My progesterone levels were low which interferes with the absorption of thryoid meds.

Last year at about this time, I finally went back to low carb, after having all the above hormonal problems addressed. I'm down to 154, and I intend to be 140 by Christmas. I would have lost more if I'd stuck to LC and not cheated.

Women, don't discount the powerful influence of hormones. They can make it impossible to lose weight no matter what your diet is like. I've been there!

Maggie

iamfuscia
Thu, Oct-23-03, 09:18
yes, I was startled there for a minute, thanks for clarifying, fuschia.

not to be picky, but it's fuscia (fuschia is a color).

gilibel
Thu, Oct-23-03, 17:00
not to be picky, but it's fuscia (fuschia is a color).

Not to be picky, but "fuschia" in not a coulour - "fuchsia" is... (although frequently misspelt!..) My ketostix just turned fuchsia again! :) sorry, couldn't resist... have to.... *thomp*... get a.... *thomp*... life... *thomp* *thomp*

skibunnie
Thu, Oct-23-03, 21:37
As everyone here knows, you need to keep your blood sugar level balanced to lose weight. I dont think you could lose weight fast on any other plan. Most of the people who have not suceeded also have not followed the plan correctly. I wish you luck, but giving up isnt going to do you anygood. Everyone hears that on atkins you lose mass amounts of weight, ect ect. Well I dont know anyone who loses that much weight, unless they have alot of weight to lose. Losing weight takes work. If you arent willing to put in the effort and TIME, then you arent going to be very happy with your body.

Trine
Sat, Oct-25-03, 16:41
I just had to jump into this subject of age and diet.

I have had a problem with carbs since I was 15 years old. I worked summers in an ice cream store and I truly destroyed my metabolism. I was always on a diet after that about 50 years of all kinds of diets. I should win a prize for yo-yo.

Last November I woke up and started Atkins after another weight loss & regain.
I had one advantage ..time! So I read books, spent hours in research online for recipies and low carb products. I found a great workout program.. aerobics & body sculpting. I have worked at this program plus walking 5 miles daily. I am now a toned size 4.. 36/26/34. I truly believe you can be anything you want, but it does take work. Not having a time limit helps. Every day just strive to do your best.

Trine

black57
Sat, Oct-25-03, 20:54
When I began this diet, I was hypoglycemic, suffered with migraines, and lithargic let alone overweight. Too many people do Atkins with the idea that they are going to lose alot of weight, really fast. When that doesn't happen, they jump off the wagon. What kept me on the diet wasn't the weightloss. It was the fact that I had only 2 migraines since I began this diet. I have not suffered from the shakiness and ravenous hunger that I get 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating a meal. The Atkins woe has helped me to eat sensibly. The Atkins diet makes me feel good. The Atkins diet allows my blood cholesterols, triglycerides and glucose levels to be...perfect. I have lost 25 lbs this year so far which is the most I have ever lost and with the food that I have always loved. :yay: I would be crazy if I quit doing this. :doah:

Black57

Trine
Sun, Oct-26-03, 05:30
Keep up the good work Black57 and all hard working low carbers. Nothing is better than to free of the problems of high carbohydrate consumption.

CindySue48
Sun, Oct-26-03, 12:11
I am curious tho....does anyone know if Atkins has ever published any statistics?

How many people have had success with the plan? how many didn't? How many maintained their weight....and for how long?

I think these are the types of info that most of the critics would like to see!

black57
Tue, Dec-23-03, 13:11
I have never been on a diet, afterall, I am not a diet person. when I planned to lose I make the resolution to lose 20 lbs. Until now, I have always failed because the only response my body gave me to low-fat and fewer calories was hunger and cravings. I now can eat the most wonderful food God has created. I still get hungry but the hunger is a more kinder gentler, hunger. The foods I crave are foods on the diet like steak, zuchini, mustard greens, salads and low carb cheesecake, ummmm and those Delight chocolate bars. You know how I said that I could never lose 20 lbs at any other time? Well, this year I lost 26 lbs and my tummy is happy and I consider myself a slow loser.

Hellistile
Tue, Dec-23-03, 14:13
After reading this entire thread, it dawned on me that perhaps certain people were stalling due to foods they were eating that interfered with thyroid function. As Tsve stated, certain foods contain hormones, but neglected to mention that soy in any shape or form also contains hormones and toxins. If you are eating soy, low carb products containing soy proteins, etc., they may be interfering with your thyroid function. There are also other foods that interfere with Thyroid function. Check the site below for more information.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/

As for Koko and many others who have very little weight to lose and obviously do not have a lot of health issues to deal with, seem to be the most frustrated of low-carbers. Those of us who have lot's to lose and do have health issues cannot praise this way of eating enough. I thank God every day for finally directing me to my first low-carb book and I can do so on my knees where before they pained me so much I could barely touch them nevermind kneel.

JudyMH
Tue, Dec-23-03, 16:57
You didn't give this enough time. 5 or 6 weeks isn't alot of time. It took 2 months for me to get adjusted to the diet. If you don't want to do the diet tho that's fine, you need to be 100% commited.If you were to post what you eat maybe we could help point you in the right direction. Are you counting carbs? Are you drinking your water? All things to be considered. Cut back On LC baked goods. We'd need more info to be able to help, have a Merry Christmas, Judy

hllcntry
Thu, Dec-25-03, 06:40
It's true and it's Atkins. After 2 years of trying just about everything under the sun, Atkins has allowed me to drop 19 lbs. in 2 weeks. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but it's true and I feel great.

aNewShell
Thu, Jan-08-04, 11:43
Hey, I am sorry you feel that this program is not working for you, I on the other hand have lost 35 pounds in about 4 months. I still have about 15 to so, and I have slowed down, but I am still eating LC. I have more energy, and I am over all a much happier person. I stated the program because a friend of mine lost alot of weight but it took her 6 months. I think it's different for everyone, and I really think if you stick to it you will start to see the weight just go away. My husband would come home and tell me that I looked like lost weight while he was at work. Just give it time, and don't stress over it, it will happen for ya!

WeeOne
Thu, Jan-08-04, 17:42
I'm glad I read this ENTIRE thread! I lost 7 lbs when I first started in 4 weeks(for real this time, I half tried it awhile back) then gained a few back because I only 1/2 heartedly did this WOE over the Holidays. I never gave up entirely, just had a few bad meals. I am now down only a few lbs since I started, but I just noticed that I have only had 1 migraine in 6 weeks and the one I had had was a mild one! WOW I just realized this!

So I have to agree that this WOE is not only about weight loss, but overall being.

IMHO

Wee

carbs
Sat, Jan-10-04, 13:22
we're on the west coast and notice that some people in our curves gym have lost well over a hundred pounds on the low carb. Haven't known anyone to not loose except the people who still ate carbs!!
One lady told me she just had to start her day with porridge and couldn't understand why she wasn't loosing weight. The people who stuck to under ten carbs a day and had wonderful seafood dinners with huge salads lost immediately.
I also noticed that people who tried low carb substitues like low carb bread or low carb sweets, instead of eliminating all breads and wheat products, did not have the same success rate. I think that the diet (like any) is suited to those who love meat, seafood, butter and salads..and don't care for sweets of any kind, especially fruit.
Personally, I not only eat whenever I like, but I am never hungry, and find it an easy lifestyle for me personally.
fit in Victoria

chefmorais
Sat, Jan-10-04, 14:45
All I can say is that everybody loses weight different. I myself seem to be losing weight quickly. I have lost 20 pounds in 12 days. Doing about 10 carbs a day, eating 2-3 eggs with 4 slices of bacon. 2-3 breasts of chicken, pork wrapped in bacon. And going to wendys and ordering a triple cheeseburger everyday. I dont think im different from anyone else. I just stick to the diet, drink plenty of water, and eat as much fat as I can. The fat is the key.

wizzle
Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:30
You've noticed that most people have not lost weight? I'm brand new to this forum and noticed just the opposite.

Nibby
Sat, Jan-17-04, 21:39
Well my numbers speak for themselves......this is the first time in my life I can honestly stay with something, not be hungry and now I enjoy activities again.
I feel if you only have a couple pounds to loose it might not be for that person or slender people.
My husband is tall and slender and was LCing with me. His blood fat levels skyrocketed while mine have dropped like a stone! LCing wasn't for him and he is back in complex carbs but very little sugar and no caffine at that works for him. I had a lady complain to me that she needed to loose FIVE POUNDS and the LCing wasn't doing anything for her.......hey I told her to toss out the brownies and potato chips and just keep on eating like she was becaue perhaps it was the snacking on junk that put on the 5 pounds and not the healthy carbs. I also pointed out that weight can fluctuate from day to day.
Everything has been great on Atkins and I can't say enough good things about it.
Nibby

Nancy LC
Sat, Jan-24-04, 23:20
[QUOTE=KoKo]After trying this diet (Atkins) for 5 or 6 weeks,without impressive results I am quitting it, for me its been a waste of time. [QUOTE]

Plan: BFL/BFL
Stats: 143.5/134.5/120
BF:37%/25.%/19%

Losing almost half your weight you want to lose in 6 weeks is a total waste?

Perhaps you are young and still believe there is some magic weight pill or diet that can instantly transform you into a willowy super-model. I know I have been looking for that instant cure for about 25 years and haven't found it yet. I personally don't think any researchers should be allowed a vacation until they discover it and mass market it.

But the best thing I feel I can do is a a very slow, gradual weight loss and also eat in a way I feel is healthy and will adopt for the rest of my life. How can that be a waste of time? What is the alternative? Gaining 5 pounds a year on a high carb diet most likely.

You will most likely be in an endless loop of dieting and gaining unless you approach it with lots and lots of patience for your body that is programmed for survival and doesn't want to let go of fat. And understand and fight the rebellious portion of your brain that doesn't want to let go of comfortable old habits and adjust to things that are new and different.

Sadly though I can't take those last 25 years of my dieting experience and give you the result of my frustration and knowledge; that in the end there is no magic pill and no instant results. Its just grit and dogged stubborness that will see you through to success.

flynnlee
Sat, Jan-24-04, 23:37
koko, i think you look beautiful in your pictures and you look like you are already close to your goal, so count your successes!! you've already done a great job!! are your stats correct? if so, i'm so jealous! what does it feel like to be down there?!?!? anyway, hope things go well for you...

Desabells
Wed, Jan-28-04, 07:10
I started eating low carb in May of 2002. In six months I had lost 110 pounds. In ten months I had lost 185 pounds. I have maintained my current weight (175 pounds) ever since. It was even documented by my doctor that at one point I was losing 12 pounds per week. I was actually getting concerned I was losing weight too fast! So I don't understand the comment "Notice they don't lose much weight". I tell people I am half the man I use to be. LITERALLY :lol:

1adothis
Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:27
Desabells,

That is incredible weight loss and you should be very proud of yourself!!!! Any secrets that you did, or didn't do, that you might be able to pass along to the rest of us

Si Belle
Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:35
Wow, that's amazing!! AND in less than two years too!

Any secrets?? ;-)

kimberlyw
Wed, Feb-04-04, 01:51
it's kind of hard not to notice that most people here are not actually losing much weight, most seem to stall after the initial weight loss

Another thing to realize is a LOT of people will post when they're having problems or something isn't going well for them, but not nearly as many people will post when everything's going fine - aside from in their sig files where they'll list their "goals met" or what have you. So, while you may see a lot of people posting about "not losing fast enough" or "stalling" this is just because most people post when they have a problem to get support and a possible solution to their problem. The people who have no problems and are losing weight RAPIDLY really have nothing to say aside from "YEP! It's working great!!! I've lost *insert big number here* this week!" So, these people aren't posting because they don't want to further discourage those for whom the weight is not coming off as fast.

Think about it like this: There are 1336 PAGES of members on this Forum - I didn't count the people on a page - but it "looked" like 25 or 30. I *think* I saw something somewhere here that said the board had (roughly) 770,000 members.

Of those - how many are not losing?

Not too many. :D

loCarbJ
Sat, Feb-07-04, 23:21
I read the first post and thought that the writer had to be a nut, so I just went on. People don't lose much weight on Low Carb diets? I've personally lost 57 lbs and know at least 6 others personally who have lost as much or more. What planet do you live on?

Quest
Mon, Feb-09-04, 16:46
I noticed that this relatively old thread had been revived. I recently started a thread, not in the war zone, but in the triple digit club, that raises the question of why many LCers slow to a crawl after 50 pounds or so. Not everyone, of course, but many. The discussion has been interesting.

Jeanne Sch
Mon, Feb-09-04, 17:12
I think "perspective" really is an interesting point.
When I was struggling at first, I would think the same thing "geez, it seems like no one is really losing that much weight." It was my attitude.
I had to leave Atkin's & this forum for about 3 months (Fertility Doc had me go on Maintenace level) and when I came back, I couldn't believe how much weight so many people had lost. I want to cry everytime I see folks who weighed 300 400 or even 500 lbs now weighing 250 or 225. What SHEER courage and fortitude it took them to get there! I

'm struggling with a total of 60 lbs to lose and I hope to lose all of it in the next 2 years but if I don't, I really don't care because I am no longer gaining weight and feeling scared that I'm going to go above my all time high of 220 lbs (ok, let me be honest, I think I weighed more than that, I just stopped weighing at about 220 lbs).

I'm sorry this doesn't work for you Koko. I know how you feel about being inpatient about the weight coming off but when I do that, I remember I was 17 years old, not my current 37, so I try to be more patient.

My diabetic friend thought she had no health problems and at 300 lbs and a blood glucose level of over 250 with medication, she was very ill but because she couldn't "feel" it, she only stuck with Atkins plan for 6 weeks (her blood glucose level was around 80 the entire 6 wks). She never gained any weight but never lost. She got discouraged and left. She had bariatric surgery a few weeks ago and guess what her doctor suggested? A LC diet after surgery. She now admits that she was GOBBING down protein big time (it was turning to carbs). She would describe it as: 'Instead of one big steak, I'd have two.' Oh geezuz!

page40
Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:43
hmmm some things are better left unsaid i think, as for me, the only problems i have had have been created by me. I have never felt better and if it takes me ten years to get to goal, i will be a happier more adjusted person because of it ;0).

Monika4
Tue, Apr-13-04, 19:10
I came across Koko's question - here is my 5 ct: I often get impatient. People think a diet should work - like: you have 50 lbs to loose, diet for a month? No, that isn't how it goes. And in contrast to Koko, I have seen at this forum many many here who lost >50 lbs in less than a year - I have lost 25 lbs in 4 month - that is an average of 1.5 lb per week. Considering a one month stall, it was close to the maximum recommended - it is usually considered save to loose 1-2 lbs/week, we should not forget that! If you are asking for more, you are asking for unhealthy miracles.

Stalls happen, and you shouldn't get discouraged - use a search and try some of the many remedies - from oil of oregano to increasing your carb intake!

teresamay
Wed, Apr-14-04, 05:10
Hmmmmm...geez, guess you must have GAINED all that wieght in one night huh?...now you want it gone in one night as well???? This is the real world - Atkins is NOT a miracle drug or plan - if you fall into that hype, then maybe the solution is to read the research. Did you follow faithfully without cheating???...I gotta say, it is working well for me, and I am losing on average a couple pounds a week....if you read the posts of those stalling, it is typically becuase they have fallen into the junk food habits again.

Good luck, and let us all know when you find the one night miracle diet that will rid you all of all your weight gain.

sarah36
Mon, Apr-19-04, 14:03
PLEASE im NOT tryin to interfere!!!
BUT koko has been a VERY good friend to me ever since i started coming on the site!!
YES u can see im struggling daily :rolleyes: BUT if u take time to read kokes message tink her 2ND posting.... then u will see she did NOT intend to affend anyone!!! i would urge u too take the time to read through the whole thread ;)
koko is to many of us a VERY warm n wonderful lady who helps in every way she can!!!
NOW PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE end this thread ty lv/happiness n PEACE xx
good luck to all of us in our weight loss journeys xx

sarah36
Mon, Apr-19-04, 14:05
"God brought me to this and he will lead me through it"
DITTO in ALL we do xx

Quest
Mon, Apr-19-04, 14:34
....if you read the posts of those stalling, it is typically becuase they have fallen into the junk food habits again.

I think that's unfair. There are many reasons for stalls or crawls, and many of them are beyond the control of the individual.

potatofree
Mon, Apr-19-04, 14:50
I think that's unfair. There are many reasons for stalls or crawls, and many of them are beyond the control of the individual.

Exactly. It's also not a crime to question things. Some of us don't HAVE all the answers even though we've been at it a long time. ;)

Masaki
Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:13
I don't really know what to say. I stand here to day 90lbs short of where I started at 316 lbs almost 2 years ago. I did Atkins for 6 weeks and lost 30lbs, which I kept every pound off for a year on a pretty normal diet of junk food. Then I went on it again, and lost another 40lbs (this time in one 20lb burst of 3 weeks and the other 20 until the 20th of the next month [Nov-Dec 03']). I kept that off without gaining a pound, despite normal i.e. very high carb eating. Finally, I started again 2 weeks ago and I am down nearly another 20lbs. Why does it work for me? Heck if I know. I have been able to lose weight, but not keep it off on the grapefruit diet, the 7-day diet, Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, just by exercising (I was a 316lb black belt in karate, a ball of lard who could still run and destroy punching bags), and by lifting weights. This was the only thing that worked. I find once I move my body to a certain weight with LC WOE, I don't change much at all. I think I am still a pretty high % body fat. I don't know how my cholesterol and other numbers look, but I always feel satisfied and energetic on Atkins. Perhaps the age of the members in general keeps them from losing very well. I have no idea. But I feel and show the benefits of this WOE. I feel sad that my girlfriend, who will likely never agree to eat LC, suffers from such serious psoriasis, which I believe to be aggravated by her high-carb diet (see DANDR and this page (http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/11/19-211272.html)). My mom also lost a load of weight, but is now plateauing and discouraged.

Like they say, the more you have to lose, the more you will initially lose. Women in their late 30s trying to get from 140 to 120 aren't going to lose as fast or as easily as me, a (at the time) 19yo male one-time football player. It just won't happen. But I bet that many people can benefit from a LC lifestyle. That having been said, even Dr. Atkins, champion of LC WOL, said that LCing is not for everyone. If you get anything from readin his books, get that people's bodies all differ greatly in their dietary needs and that even the greatest solution will not work for everyone. If you realy have tried LC, if you followed all the rules and still didn't succeed, if you went beyond that even and examined your nutrient intake, pills, vitamins, and drugs, food intolerances, candida intake and made proper changes and still didn't succeed? Assuming that you also can't lose on low-fat or high-carb diets or by exercising, congratulations, you are the only human being alive who is incapable of weight loss.

Other than that, I believe that most people can stand to benefit. We all try too often to apply LC WOE to everyone, when it is such a broad solution to a host of very personal issues and problems. And of course, LC is hardly just about low carb, but a large group of tinier changes in diet (at least on Atkins). A lot of the benefits of LCing come from the nutritional and dietary advice (taking proper vitamins drinking enough water) that most people would only follow if they think it will make them lose weight, but as anyone who has examined the science behind LC knows, it goes far beyond that. I think that anyone who cannot lose wieght and feel better on a LC WOE is either doing something wrong or needs to consult a professional nutritionist to deal with his or her body's unique needs.

It's all just my opinion, don't take it too seriously ;)