PDA

View Full Version : Grrr! What now?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ruthxxx
Sun, Feb-23-03, 08:37
I need some input.

My doc prescribed glyberide which I took for a few days along with my 1000 metformin. The BGL stayed about the same - in the 6-7 range. I stopped the glyberide and put the metformin up to 1500 each evening. BGL was OK (6-7) range BUT has started to climb into the 7's and is 8.8 this morning! Yesterday was definitely a low carb day.

SO...shall I wait this out another week, increase the metformin to 2000 or go back to taking 2.5 mg glyberide with dinner at night?

I am wondering if it is stress-realted. We have been pretty busy with putting in new flooring - fun stress but still lots of moving and lugging. Hmmmm.

Lisa N
Sun, Feb-23-03, 09:33
Originally posted by Ruthxxx
I am wondering if it is stress-realted. We have been pretty busy with putting in new flooring - fun stress but still lots of moving and lugging. Hmmmm.

That's probably your answer right there. Do you have sore muscles from the increased physical activity? Did your blood sugars start going up right at the same time that you started working on the flooring? The inflammation from the stressed muscles combined with the stress of extra physical effort can make your blood sugars go up temporarily (remember, cortisol from stress triggers gluconeogenesis).
You said that yesterday was definitely a low carb day. How low? Could it be that you cut them too low and your body is kicking in the gluconeogenesis process to compensate (and overdoing it)?
I'm assuming that backing off on the physical activity isn't an option at the moment, so it seems you have the two choices that you mentioned; either increase your Glucophage or ride it out. Since your blood sugars aren't extremely high (around 160), I'd probably be tempted to ride it out instead of increasing the Glucophage, but you may want to consider getting your doctor's opinion on it first.

Ruthxxx
Sun, Feb-23-03, 09:49
Carbs were around 40 yesterday.
You are right - I sure as heck have sore muscles! I think I'll give it another few days before I change the meds. I'd hate to phone my Doc who would want me to take the glyberide again with an "I told you so"!
Today will be a relaxing day (we are snowed in) so that may help.
Thanks for the input, Lisa. You always make me feel better!

Lisa N
Sun, Feb-23-03, 10:58
Originally posted by Ruthxxx
Carbs were around 40 yesterday.

Ummm...you are aware that Dr. B says never go over 30 grams a day and never more than 12 at a meal (or 6 for breakfast), right?
Those 10 extra grams of carb could very well make a big difference in your blood sugar readings, even with the extra physical activity.
If that was just an unusual day where you went over the 30 grams, don't worry about it, but if you're doing it regularly you may want to cut back to 30 grams (or even a bit lower) until you can get better readings consistantly and then experiment with increasing a bit.

Ruthxxx
Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:06
Mea culpa! I had forgotten that! Thanks!
(Slapping self on hand)

Lisa N
Tue, Feb-25-03, 18:32
Hey, Ruth!

How's the floor project coming? And also, how are you blood sugars doing? :)

Ruthxxx
Wed, Feb-26-03, 05:55
The floors are done, Lisa, and look gorgeous! I'm happy, DH is happy and my cleaning woman is in ecstasy!

The darn BGL is 8.9 this morning. I am blaming it on stress and that I just got a cold - my first in a few years! Once it abates a bit, I may up the metformin and see if that knocks it down again. I don't get HA1C done again until April so I do have a wee window of opportunity to fiddle with. I really really do NOT want that damned glucophage!

Thanks for asking. This board is wonderful!

kjturner
Sun, Mar-02-03, 01:20
Stress most definitely affects my BG. My Dad passed in September after a lengthy illness (I was living with him at the time to give him some help) and it took me particularly hard. Then I also had the executor duties to do plus diburse his estate and now arrange to sell the house...well, you get the idea. My meter was testing horrid numbers from September until the middle of December. I upped Glucophage XR to 2000mg to help compensate and it must've done some good as my a1C was 6.0 in January. I've been able to drop my med to 1500mg and I'm getting very good readings now. So sometimes we just need to weather the stressful times and make adjustments until things get better.