PDA

View Full Version : Science News: Slim Pickings?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gary
Fri, Feb-21-03, 21:33
FEB 8 2003 Science News article/ Right on front cover Slim Pickings? Diet Battle Heats Up

Then pg 88 Dietary Dilemas Is the pendulum swinging away from low fat? By Damaris Christensen

Fairly good article. Does have LC critics views like LC can have dangerous side effects like bone loss from huge protein intake pulling calcium. (Barnard) But does have many recent studies that show Atkins diet kicking ass!

Maybe I am not following the Atkins exactly right, but I only eat a little more protein now than before the Atkins diet because I eat protein at breakfast. But overall I don't think I eat high protein. That is all I hear is it is a high protein diet. I eat more balanced now than before with my overload of carbs. I took the carbs away but did not dramatically increase protein. :wave:

Elihnig
Sat, Feb-22-03, 06:06
Atkins is a high fat diet...and since fat is so calorie dense, you don't need a lot to make those percentages swing towards 65% fat, 5% carbs, 30% protein, or thereabouts.

The studies with calcium leaching were done with poor quality protein powder I believe. When the studies were redone with real meat, there was some initial loss of calcium that soon stopped.

Beth