PDA

View Full Version : up and up she goes......

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AussieGirl
Sun, Feb-16-03, 23:14
okay, so whilst I am VERY HAPPY to be 71 days smoke free - I am not happy at all to have gained back half the weight I lost over the last 6 months!!!

I am not eating any more than I was before, my carb count is basically the same as it always has been, and yet up and up the scales go.

so the only thing it can be is the slow down of my metabolism due to quitting?? Help!!!!

does anyone have any handy hints, or words of advice??? pleeease..........

pbastian
Tue, Feb-18-03, 07:43
Congratulations!!! 71 days smokefree is AWESOME.

Can you up your activity level? Walk/run/bike/tennis, etc? Now that your lungs are getting nice and healthy, exercise should feel great.

Can you cut back on carbs for a few weeks? Maybe go back to induction (if you're beyond that now), while your metabolism figures out what's going on :)

(I've been lo-carbing and non-smoking for 48 days - weight loss has been slow but steady. I've been using the nicotine patch though, and I know that kicks up the metabolism. Very afraid that when I go off the patch, the pounds will creep back on.)

Good luck - post back here and let me know how you do.

AussieGirl
Wed, Feb-19-03, 17:47
thanks for replying Pat...

I used Zyban for the first few weeks, and then ditched them. It was AFTER stopping the zyban that the weight crept (or ran) back on! so it's definately a metabolism thing.....

I'm wondering whether I should perhaps start the Zyban again? but is it just delaying the inevitable? when I eventually run out of Zyban, will it start all over?

I'm not really expecting you to answer all these questions Pat, just musing........

oh the dilemma.............

pbastian
Thu, Feb-20-03, 03:48
Well, I'll muse right along with you ... I suspect that quitting with the patch has kept my metabolism level up. Since you've already quit without nic replacement, that's not an option. But how about fat-burning supplement, like Atkins Accel? (From his web site: "ACCEL ENHANCES FAT-BURNING! Stretch your limits. This revolutionary ephedra-free formula is the perfect aid for those just starting Atkins, as well as those who are stuck at a weight-loss plateau. It combines the thermogenic benefits of green tea containing clinically tested levels of polyphenols, caffeine with glucomannon to control appetite, plus chromium and niacin to support energy and fat metabolism.") Here's a link: http://atkinscenter.com/shop/products/Atkins_Accell.html (http://)

Personally, I haven't ruled out the possibility of long term low-level nicotine replacement (forever?? Maybe!) . I'm on the lowest level patch now - have another week left to do. It's gone so well but the thought of not having that crutch is so AWFUL that I'm thinking about cutting them down to 1/2 size...and then 1/2 again....and then...well, you get the idea.

Good luck - I know your metabolism is going to get back into the program with you.

steffie123
Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:36
My 2 cents on this. I quit smoking jan 6. I have been back on induction since the 6th as well. I have only lost 3 pounds in almost 3 months and that is with adding excersise! I think quitting definetly messes with your metabolism!!! After getting 47 days under my belt, I am not about to start smoking again. That was one of the hardest things I have done. I am using the gum, (only 1-3 pieces per day)

My only advise is to hang in there, our body's have to regulate themselves sooner or later. (gosh I hope so anyway)

AussieGirl
Thu, Feb-20-03, 19:49
Hi Steffie,

did you gain any weight when you quit? I thought about upping my caffeine intake to speed things up a bit, but of course, Atkins disapproves of too much of that too.........

are we allowed any vices in life????

big sigh.........

AussieGirl
Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:04
thanks for the info Pat, I'll look into it. have you ever tried any of these supplements? do they work?

pbastian
Fri, Feb-21-03, 15:03
No, I haven't tried any supplements, but was considering it when I'm weaned from the patches. What an insidious addiction this is - it just makes me so ANGRY that tobacco companies use those clever adverts to get people (kids!) hooked - and then we spend 1/2 our lives trying to kick the habit. I think, as much as anything, it's not wanting to send any more money their way that keeps me going. I'll be darned if I'm going to finance their recruitment campaign!

OK, I feel better now - keep up the good work, all - I'd rather be a slow-poke at weight loss and be ALIVE!

cwfgirl
Sat, Feb-22-03, 06:59
I'm going to add my experience because it seems it's different than most of those posted.
Threw away cigs and lighter on 1/1/03 and haven't had one since. No patch, gum or pills. Just cold turkey. Yes, the first 72 hours were awful and I felt like a drug addict going through withdrawels. Had been doing Adkins since Nov. Made it through the holidays with little to no cheating (woe that is), not much exercise either. My loss stalled for about 3 1/2 weeks then I started losing again. While I'm losing probably slower than most low carbers, I'm still losing. But then again I can't seem to give up my Chardonney in the evenings either :rolleyes: .
I'm taking supplements (omega 3 oil, mulitvitamin/mineral/herb, calcium)and drinking lots of water. I mean lots. Close to 100 oz. a day. I suppose we all have different metabolisms but I'm wondering if the jolt of cold turkey has anything to do with this?? I know of another forum member who's had the same experience...without the wine :D .

pbastian
Sun, Feb-23-03, 10:10
Thanks for your contribution, cwfgirl. Congratulations on your quit - I'm in AWE of your ability to go cold turkey! I was really afraid (because I've done it so MANY times before) that I would fail that way. Or go postal... So we each go our own way :)

I am off the patches as of yesterday - it's going fine. Even got through a small crisis with my 17-year-old without thinking about a cigarette - Now THAT's a feat!

Best of luck to you on your healthy journey.

steffie123
Mon, Mar-03-03, 17:02
aussie girl - No I did not gain, but I used to be a pretty steady looser. I did add excersise and thought for sure that would get the scale moving..........nothing. I flux between the same 3 pounds up, down, up, down.

I just started adding Green Tea to my diet, so I will let you know if I notice any difference there.

KoKo
Wed, Mar-05-03, 08:44
And here I was hoping to find out when our metabolisms would normalize again...

Darn I quit at the end of December and I just know this is part of my problem in not losing, between that and entering peri-menopause its a really tough battle. Some people have said that eventually the metabolism normalizes again any idea of how long eventually is???

I've been exercising , occasionally taking ephedra, and trying Green Tea but the tea makes me nauseous so I can't take too much it.

You'd think with how tense a person gets with quitting that we'd burn something off just with nervous energy eh? :D

Molley
Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:20
I was so frustrated after 10 months of working with a personal trainor and eating about 800 calories a day and I lost no weight at all!! I went to my internist and whined about my weight, I was convinced it had to be a thyroid problem, she ordered the blood tests to keep me happy,(they were all normal).

She did tell me it takes sometimes 2-3 years for our metabolism to reset itself. Nicotine does a real job on insulin levels also. I guess that weight gain was never an issue for me while I was smoking because my body must have been working very hard to repair itself. I really think that how much you smoked has to do with how weight you do gain, for me I was a very heavy smoker and I have the twenty five pounds to prove it! :rolleyes:

But I don't smoke anymore and I really do feel alot better. I can take a deep breath and not cough :D

Be patient.

Molley

AussieGirl
Wed, Mar-05-03, 19:05
2 to 3 years ?!?!? pleeeease tell me it isn't so.........

it's tempting to start smoking again - not really, but man this is so unfair. you do something really good for your body like quitting and what do you get in return??

what really makes me mad, is that my husband quit on the same day as me. he's 6'3", weighed 155 pounds while smoking, and what does he weigh now after quitting?? you guessed it - 155!

not fair not fair not fair

on the positive side - my scales have STOPPED going up! they are not exactly coming down at the moment, but at least they've stopped climbing. hopefully they'll start heading down soon.

fingers crossed.........

steffie123
Mon, Mar-10-03, 16:35
Well I don't know if this is a good sign or not, but I got on the scale on Saturday and saw a 2 pound loss!!! This is the first loss in months since I quit smoking.

OK, now the bad news. I got on the scale this morning and gained them back. I am hoping this is just water weight and I can claim the 2 pound loss.

I have been taking green tea for about 2 weeks hoping to get my metabolism moving again.

How is everyone else in the "quit smoking stall club" doing?