PDA

View Full Version : Red Velvet Cake

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pjl44
Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:25
I found a recipe for Red Velvet Cake on a lc website that I would like to make for my family for Valentines. My problem is that I'm having a difficult time finding some of the required ingredients!! Is there anything I can substitute for Diabetisweet (what is it anyway?), and almond flour? It also calls for high gluten flour; the only thing I could find that sounds close is Organic Hi-Gluten Unbleached White Flour! Are these one in the same?

I may just have to figure out something else special to make; this recipe just seems too "involved"!!! :(

Pam

ginnylee
Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:41
In Texas we have a grocery store called Whole Foods that has the items you are looking for. I'm not sure if they are nation wide or not but if you have a grocery store that specializes in health food they may have them or could get them for you.

Red Velvet Cake is my husband's favorite. Would you share where you obtained the receipe. I would love to have it to make it for him and me as I also like the cake.

IslandGirl
Wed, Mar-05-03, 18:31
GinnyLee:
the recipe (I saw it too) was in the Valentine's (February) newsletter from the www.LowCarbLuxury.com website, I'm sure you'll be able to dig it out of there.

PJL44:
I believe WalMart carries the DiabetiSweet, which is a mix of sorbitol (a sugar alcohol) and Ace-K, so it's a sugarsubstitute with approximately half the calories and carbs of sugar. DO check out the articles on sugar alcohols and sweeteners on this website (see quick links over on the right or TIPS on the orange menu bar above).

Ground Almonds, usually available in the baking supply section of a grocery store, can be substituted for Almond Flour, or a websearch will net you a source for Almond Flour.

A thin me!
Wed, Mar-05-03, 18:49
OH My, OH MY!!!!! My MOST favorite cake in the entire world. If you do make, please let me know how it turns out, please.

We were on a road trip from Illinois to Florida, and I checked the internet for any places that mention this cake. (Talk about obsessed LOL) and it was so disappointed. Never did have my "cake and eat it, too."

Thanks for sharing