PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wannabefit
Tue, Feb-11-03, 18:07
The plot thickens.

First I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, was started on Armour thyroid 6 months ago, and now today at my doctor's appointment I asked him why I STILL can't lose weight, even with eating low carb and moderate calories (less than 1800 a day).

Initially he promised the weight would "fly off" once my thyroid got working again, and I have gone from 30mg Armour thyroid to my current 210mg. My temps have gone from 95 degrees to 96.7. But I still can't lose weight, and in fact have gained a few pounds. I am even trying the coconut oil and a supplement called Glucosol which is supposed to even out blood sugar levels for hypos. All still to no avail.

So now the new twist is to have my cortisol levels checked. The doctor says he thinks they are high, and he would start me on hormone therapy (for the adrenal gland) to correct this which would explain why my thyroid refuses to kick in.

So my plea for help is to ask if anyone knows anything about high cortisol levels, and how one should eat in order to encourage lower levels. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Natrushka
Tue, Feb-11-03, 19:12
Wanna, I just posted something on Cortisol in the General Exercise forum that might help you better understand how to manage and control cortisol levels. The article is aimed at exercise induced cortisol, but cortisol, no matter how it's produced will have similar effects on the body.

I would also suggest searching for posts by a member named "Jeanner" (you can do this on the forums 'search' page found atop every page on the right hand side [it's the globe icon]) - she was recently diagnosed with Cushing's - a thyroid condition characterized by excessively high levels of cortisol in the body.

HTH
Nat

wannabefit
Wed, Feb-12-03, 00:07
Nat,

I followed both your leads - Jeanne's on Cushings (I will pray for her success and recovery), and yours on the exercise forum, for which I am just now printing all your valuable information - thank you!

This is all new to me and I am curious what my lab numbers will be for the cortisol test. I seem to have some classic symptoms of being high cortisol as well as hypo. I have hypertension; severe osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease; have been under serious stress for the past year and a half due acute pain and to major surgery on my cervical spine just short of having my spinal cord severed by my bad discs, having them removed and replaced with 2 titanium cages, and the recovery has been gruelling and I am still on bucu prescription pain medications for chronic pain management; have been a yo-yo dieter to no avail; and am gaining in my middle with extra pounds for no reasonable reason, and am only 45.

My doctor is an endocrinologist who is highly recommended and he said something about putting my on a "hormone" if my cortisol level is out of wack, in addition to the 210mg of Armour thyroid I am on for hypo. I also researched some "natural" remedies for stabilizing blood sugar levels, called Glucosol, and another for lowering cortisol, called Relora. Any feedback on those?

Thank you for your expertise. Are you sports trainer or therapist or doctor? You are very knowlegable and I appreciate you sharing it.

By the way, I am a fellow Canadian from Windsor Ontario!

Jeanner
Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:17
Hi,

I hope that you will get the chance to read this before your next doctors appointment. First and foremost you want to be sure that you are getting the correct cortisol testing. The best and gold standard to test for hypercortisolism is a 24 UFC. Also-you seem to have many of the symptoms of excess cortisol.

Once it is established that you indeed have hypercortisolism the source needs to be found. If you would like more info, to chat about this or anything just send me you email address via messanger.

Testing for this wretched disease is horrible and lengthy for many people (like me) for others it's very clear cut!

Jeanne

Jeanner
Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:32
Hi wannabe,

I can probably help you with all the testing info that you need. If you are hypercortisolimic (excess cortisol) there is no supplement that will help. You will need to determine the source of the excess cortisol!

The gold standard and by far best most reliable test is the 24 HOUR URINE FREE CORTISOL TEST. Serum cortisols are extremely unreliable, and in fact missed my disease. Also-you need to be dealing with an experienced endocrine lab.

Testing is a long hard road that must be done exactly. In my case I will be having surgery in Mar. 12th to remove my pituitary tumors.

You can email me or message me for more info. Good Luck!

wannabefit
Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:45
Thanks Jeanne,

I really appreciate your input. My endo is a very highly recommended one, but this is all new to me, so I am not sure if he is going about it all correctly. He gave me a lab slip that just is for a blood draw before 9:00 a.m. I have read about saliva and urine testing too, but this is a blood draw. He did not go into detail about it with me yet, except for saying that if my cortisol is too high, it will interfere with the attempts to correct my thyroid. He said supplementing with a hormone - did not say which kind - would lower cortisol and thus allow the thyroid to be corrected.

So I guess I have to start from there, and I go for my lab work tomorrow morning and will follow-up with them next week.

Have you heard about Relora? It claims to dramatically lower cortisol levels. It is touted as an "anti-anxiety" all-natural supplement that is safe and does not interfere with medications. So I am trying that too.

It sounds like you have been through a long hard road with your disease and pending surgery. What happens after the surgery? I will say some prayers for you and would love to hear from you again.

Thanks, and take care!

Cindy (wannabefit)

Jeanner
Tue, Feb-18-03, 13:34
Hiya Cindy,

Please trust me on this, there are no supplements to help with this type of excess cortisol-playing with your hormones is like playing with fire!

Please have your doctor run a few 24 UFC'S. This will be a sure way of knowing that you don't have a pituitary problem. I have seen some of the most highly respeted Endo's who've really messed up. Relora is not something to mess with either.

Like you after treatment of my hypothyroidism failed to help push my weightloss and body sculpting along I knew something was wrong. I have since found out that I have a combination of thyroid problems both primary and secondary due to my pituitary tumor.

Please take my heed- you have so many of the Cushing's symptoms its really not even funny. Cushing's can lead to death if not treated properly.

Go to www.cushings-help.com and you'll get lots of info.

Good Luck,

Jeanne

PS If you message meyour email I'll be happy to talk with you! :D

wannabefit
Thu, Feb-20-03, 18:18
Hi Jeanne,

Thanks so much for following up with me. You are so kind.

I have bookmarked the website you gave me on Cushings and am beginning to reasearch it. I have not done the lab work yet because it has to be before 9:00 a.m. and my work schedule has not allowed that. I plan to go tomorrow morning. I think I have to start with that and the options that are available to me as far as the particular way the lab works. My endo does suspect high cortisol but said he would control it with an adrenal hormone, which I don't know much about and will ask him if we get to that point.

What do you think is wrong with Relora?

So I will do my research and see what my lab work brings up. I read the normal cortisol range via blood work is 6 to 24.

My email is cyndt~msn.com if you want to contact me further.