PDA

View Full Version : [SS] Great place for good food

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CarbJunky2
Tue, Feb-11-03, 13:13
I've been shopping at Trader Joe's lately. They've got all sorts of Somersizing legal foods. Whole wheat pasta, foods without additives, chemicals, preservatives. Also, they don't advocate a lot of refined products. They have products that are sweetened with natural forms of sugars. Fruit juice, organic, cane, etc. I don't know how many people have a Trader Joe's near them, but if you are doing a low-carb program, it's something to look at. I was surprised, at least for me, the prices are mostly cheaper than my regular grocery store. :)

Melissa

Spang
Wed, Feb-12-03, 00:36
Hi there!

I LOVE Trader Joe's. Its great for Montignacers too (although "my type" have to turn our nose up any of the sugars you mention :( LOL!!! )

I'm glad someone thinks it is as great as I do! :agree:

We are lucky in the bay area, we also have access to Rainbow Grocery (worker owned Organic Co-op - lots of bulk foods!) and Whole Foods (pricier more upscale version of Trader Joe's, affectionatly known as "Whole Pay Check" in some places :devil: )

Spang

Mamabeek
Wed, Feb-12-03, 00:55
I just started Somersizing about three weeks ago. I tried to get what I needed at the local health food store, but holy cow, it cost me an arm and a leg! Went to TJs and found everything I needed for half the price (or less) and they even have fresh berries right now for more than half what even Safeway (Vons) has!

I can't have the sugars on SS either, but I found a cereal called Hi-Lo by Back to Nature that is Level 1 legal (no added sugars). For once it actually tastes like something and I didn't even have to add Splenda (sucralose) to make it edible. It's kind of sweet on its own, and I'm a sugar junky, so that's the key to my staying on anything. Gotta have my sweets somehow! So tired of all the allowed carbs tasting like cardboard....