PDA

View Full Version : 14 days & trying to hang on! Help.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

viv
Sat, Feb-08-03, 08:18
Hi all!
I'm in day 14 not counting the first try of 9 days before i realized that you couldn't have 9 carbs worth a cheese a day! opps! So I started over. I've been very strict. Example:
8oz skinless, chicken with tablespoon olive oil.
8 egg whites with tablespoon olive oil.
6 oz tuna in water with tablespoon olive oil.
2 servings of soy isolate protein powder (zero carb) fried in olive
oil.
And I drink 2.6 carbs worth of black coffee. Plus, at least 64 oz. water, usually more.
Plus, I cycle - sweating like a pig - 1 hour 5 days a week.
I don't have a scale... so I'm going by my clothes - nothing much is happening. the keto strips say trace although when i ate 6oz sirlion burger they registered moderate.
What should I do... keeping on hanging on?

I'm scared of all the olive oil fat... I'm i eatting too much? I first 7 days i averaged around 13 to 14 carbs but 10 carbs in coffee - i've now cut the coffee to 2.6.

jessea
Sat, Feb-08-03, 08:57
Hi, first of all, why just egg whites? On this plan, you can eat the whole egg, and they taste better!! Sounds like you are being pretty strict with your diet, you need more veggies!!!!! Trust me, no one gets fat eating them, and you need the fiber and vitamins. Are you drinking decaf? Eat more!!!!!!! I have been doing this since Dec. 26, and have only lost four pounds of water weight, but I am sticking with it, because I know it is healthy for me. Don't look at the scale. Read your Atkins book again, fat is your friend, now!!

Good luck!

-Jess

jessea
Sat, Feb-08-03, 09:00
Just read your post again, my God, girlfriend, are you exhausted? You exercise alot for that tiny amount of food! No, you are not eating too much, you need more, esp. veggies. If you don't eat enough, and are exercising that much, your body is in starvation mode, and won't let go of the fat, so eat. Please, go eat a salad right now. Do it for me, please.

-Jess

viv
Sat, Feb-08-03, 10:00
Hi!
I can't believe I'm eatting too little... but okey dokey - i'll eat that salad for lunch with oil. & a 6oz. hamburger... then the 6oz. of tuna for dindin.

I'm only eatting the egg whites due to genetically high cholestrol that's why my main source of fat is olive oil & what ever fat is in the meat that i eat.
I guess I just need to be patient...

I love coffee but was disappointed to see it has 1 carb per 8oz. i usually drink 10 cups - I have cut down to 16oz. in the morning & sometimes 16oz in the afternoon. I switched to green tea -

Questions:#1. does green tea have 0 carbs?
#2. is it better to eat ground meat hamburgers instead of chicken for the fat?
#3. can i eat diet, sugar free jello?
THank you - I'm in it for the long haul!

atlee
Sat, Feb-08-03, 11:07
Part of the reason that you're not losing weight may be simply that, according to your profile, you are not overweight. At 5' 5", 130 lbs. is on the lower end of the "normal" weight range, and you would be officially underweight at your goal of 110 lbs. Your lean body mass is approximately 100 lbs., meaning that at your goal weight you would be approaching the 10% body fat range. Again, that's well *under* normal standards.

I think it's great that you're eating LC, because I truly think it's a healthier way to eat that's beneficial to people of any weight. But I don't think you should expect to lose any significant weight, because I doubt you have much to spare. The rule is that you can expect to lose 10% what you need to lose during induction, 5% thereafter, and 10% of zero is zero.

Truly, viv, I don't mean to dog you. But by any stats I can find -- and I happen to know them all, as we're the same height -- you are currently at a very reasonable weight for your height. If I were you, I'd focus on toning and adding muscle to improve my appearance, and not expect to see any actual weight loss at all.

wcollier
Sat, Feb-08-03, 12:09
Hi Viv:

I'm only eatting the egg whites due to genetically high cholestrol that's why my main source of fat is olive oil & what ever fat is in the meat that i eat.

I would suggest reading Protein Power Lifeplan by the Eades. There is an entire chapter on cholesterol written just for you. It's a fabulous book to buy, but borrow it from the library if you must. Or just read the chapter at the bookstore. Whatever.

To answer your question, I guess ground chicken would be better if you aren't eating enough fat. I strive to eat at least 100 grams of fat each day.

Of course, as the others say, you need to add veggies to your diet. What is the reasoning to not eat veggies? So you can get your carbs from coffee? :devil: :D Bad bad girl. :nono:

I gained some weight over Christmas and I'm tracking at about 1/2 pound per week if done right. The best thing you can do for yourself is to eat 10-12X your weight in food and track your intake on fitday.com. It will provide you with all kinds of tools. There's no quick, easy way to do this. I've gone the exessive exercise route before. You'll only manage to injure yourself, burn out, or binge (unless you are truly addicted and love exercising, which doesn't sound like your situation).

To answer your other question about green tea, my program says 0 carbs. And yes you can eat sugar-free jello sweetened with splenda.

Patience is very hard when trying to lose. Hang in there!

Wanda

DDMariana
Sat, Feb-08-03, 12:56
Just wanted to chime in with my two cents on the fat...because I was scared of this too...

First, eat the chicken or the beef...all meats are no carbs, some fat, lots of protein which is the basic balance of this WOE.

Eat the yolk too...when on a correct LC plan your cholesterol should improve...read around on this forum and others...SO many people have improved their bloodwork numbers by UPPING their fats and using eggs as one of their staples.

Also, I ate a HUGE plate of shredded lettuce last night for dinner, with a good size burger, melted cheese, blue cheese dressing...it was great. Good portions, not many carbs.

I'm a coffee drinker too...I do the same as you now, one large in the morning, maybe another after dinner...but no continuous pot in the kitchen!

You're doing fine...but like the previous post, you don't have much to lose so you can expect it to be SLOW...so don't look for loss, just get down the concepts and habits of LC'ing and your body will do the rest of the adjusting.

Good going!

:wave:

viv
Sat, Feb-08-03, 14:55
I greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

On that note, I went to the fitday.com and did the food journal... so far today i've eatten 1626 calories, 110 grams of fat, and 152 grams of protein, 5 carbs. To me this looks like a LOT. and i'm afraid to eat anything else! It's only 1pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! viv

jessea
Sat, Feb-08-03, 20:32
Hi, Viv! I used fitday.com, and calculated my daily intake. I had an unbelievable high fat and calorie count, and I got freaked out. Then, upon further investigation, I realized that I had calculated in 1 CUP of cream, instead of 1 TABLESPOON. DOH! :doah:
Just wanted to let you know, if you make a small mistake on there, it can add up big. You might want to double check. And remember, you can always eat a salad!

Take care, and don't stress, you are gonna do great!!

-Jess

ltlbirdie
Sun, Feb-09-03, 01:11
I realized that I had calculated in 1 CUP of cream, instead of 1 TABLESPOON. DOH!

You think that's bad? Try 1 LITER of salad dressing!! Was like 7000 calories and 40 or 50g carbs!! :o