PDA

View Full Version : Aspirin to prevent thrombosis

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

willeke
Sat, Feb-01-03, 16:23
Good evening,
I was used to taking a low dose aspirin to prevent thrombosis.
When I started Atkins I stopped this because I remembered from previous Atkins experience, that I go right out of ketosis, even if I take as little as a quarter of an aspirin.
Is there an alternative which has no influence on ketosis? Maybe something homeopatic like arnica or something? I don't know enough about that to experiment, and am hoping somebody here knows an answer to this question!

thanks in advance
Willeke

freydis
Tue, Feb-04-03, 11:31
Atkins mentions a couple of items to replace low-dose aspirin for specific treatments. He mentioned MSM for CRP (or inflammation), fish oil and vitamin E for fatty acids and heart treatments (mimics the effect of coumadin).

willeke
Tue, Feb-04-03, 12:01
Thank you for your reply! I am taking salmon oil, but the doctor who recommendd that still said I should take the aspirin, too. I have sent a query to the Atkins center now and hope to get a reply! If it's anything interesting, I'll let you know!

thanks from a beginning bookcrosser <g>
Willeke (aka omnivoreader)

Lisa N
Tue, Feb-04-03, 18:00
Originally posted by willeke
thanks from a beginning bookcrosser <g>
Willeke (aka omnivoreader)[/COLOR] [/B]

Good for you! The more you read and learn, the better success you will have with this lifestyle. :thup:
I'm always looking for something new to read about low carb and find some new tidbit of knowedge or information (often several) in each new book I've read. Next on my list is The Schwarzbein Principle. :)

freydis
Thu, Feb-06-03, 07:52
I have just recently replaced my daily aspirin with the vitamin E and fish oil combo. There was something on this site that was negative about the aspirin (weight loss stalls, maybe?) and I decided to see what could be done. A few months ago, I wouldn't have dared, but I'm feeling so much better since low-carbing that I'm taking this rather mild risk. :)