PDA

View Full Version : How do pregnant diabetics eat?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Valerie C
Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:46
I have PCOS, have been low carbing, and am newly pregnant. My doc and I share the worry that I don't gain more than a baby... I need to keep my carbs 38-70 per day and stay clear of artificial sweeteners... so what can I do??? How do diabetics who become pregnant eat?

Valerie

melanie 27
Fri, Jan-31-03, 19:05
On Dr Atkins site he mentions just adding more fruits,Veggies & some brown rice to your Diet. I was diebetic 2 of my 3 pregs & was on insulin shots 3xs a day its no fun at all.If we get pregnant again it will be the first preg that I'll be healthy.Were ttc & I Up my carbs a week before TOM just in case we convieve I just add more berries or veggies you should still stay away from starchy veggies & Bannanas & Apples which turn into suger right away.Check out Dr Atkins site on the ? & answers link under health issues. Or you can email them & they get back with you the new Atkins for life book is supposed to mention LC & pregnancy. Hope you have a Healthy & Happy 9 months!!!! :D :wave:

BJ_1971
Mon, Apr-07-03, 22:44
i know i have typed this before in another reply but iam also a diabetic and just had my second baby 6 weeks ago( feb 2003). i was on the CAD diet before pregnancy. during pregnancy i stayed on that diet but i ate a bit more carbs like friuts. my diabetic food educater tried to make me eat high carb diet because some do not yet believe that we need much less carbs then they teach. it was harder because pregnancy makes one want to eat eat eat all the time especially in the second and third trimesters. but it is vitally important that you do not over do it on the carbs for your babies health.i was told here that our carb addiction gets worse after pregnancy so take controll now and keep it. i really messed up during pregnancy and i ate to much and had to shoot myself 7 times a day and do finger sticks 10-15 times a day. those hormones really mess diabetes up so be careful and do not over do the carbs. i know from experience. there is no magical diet for pregnancy. just eat low carbs but be sure you still eat the good healthy carbs like fruits and others. good luck and congratulations

Geekgirl
Wed, Apr-23-03, 07:55
Well I'm getting here a bit late but I'm 5 months pregnant and a Type II diabetic.

I'm using Bradley for child birthing and they have a diet. I've followed the basic rules but kept it Atkins Maintance food only.

THe rules I follow are that you need 80-100 gms of protien... Have to eat 2 eggs and the equivlant of milk servings (I try to do cheese) I eat my fruits on an empty stomach because several low carb diets have you do that. I only eat whole grains and continue to avoid sugars and refined flours. Its worked my bloodsugars have remained stable through out the pregnancy I've only had about 15 high readings and measure 4 times a day. My OB is thrilled with my results.

lwinters
Mon, Apr-26-04, 20:35
Just wondering how you are doing one year late and after post-delivery.