PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Fat Intake???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

luv67fire
Mon, Jan-27-03, 21:34
Can someone please explain to me why someone would reduce the fat intake on a low-carbohydrate diet?

I honestly do not understand. Especially with the fact that fat helps keep you fuller, longer, in effect you eat less and reduce calories. So the "fat has more calories per gram" thing just doesn't fly.

Anyone??

TeriDoodle
Wed, Jan-29-03, 20:34
I am trying to reduce total calories and saturated fats....and since fat is so calorie-dense, this is the most logical place to cut. I seem to get almost as much satisfaction from a pure protein snack....like turkey from the deli (preservative free, of course!). For the same calorie expense, i can have 5 ounces of turkey or 2 ounces of cheese. I choose turkey....and usually a couple of ounces will do me. :)

JoaniePA
Sat, Feb-08-03, 03:22
Me too, Cassie. The closer I am to goal the more I realize that I need to watch calories a bit, and fat is calorie dense. Remember the formula for finding hidden carbs? 4 calories per carb, 4 calories per protein, 9 calories per fat gram. It takes many fewer calories to simply maintain a body that weighs 130 pounds than it does one that weighs 160 pounds, just to maintain. When I weighed 160 I could easily lose on 2100 calories a day. No longer, even low carbing. That's not to say I calorie deprive myself, but I do watch more, remove chicken skin, cut away meat fat, etc.

Joanie