PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sueco_94
Mon, Jan-27-03, 16:10
I just started today. I am confident and ready. I have read the Atkins book and have tried to start before but without resolve. Tis time is different.

Some questions....

Does decaf coffee have carbs?

I am using splenda as a sweetener for decaf. Is that okay?

Is whipping cream acceptable for this diet?

Any recommended starter tools and helps?

Thanks,
Sueco_94

tofi
Mon, Jan-27-03, 16:41
Here are some answers to your questions:

Does decaf coffee have carbs?
Apparently, yes. One carb per cup.

I am using splenda as a sweetener for decaf. Is that okay?
Yes, but if it's the packets, count 1 gram of carbs per envelope.

Is whipping cream acceptable for this diet?
Yes, but count 6.6 grams of carbs per cup. I also answered your other post about the cream drinking. (I have done that myself. :p )

Any recommended starter tools and helps?
-Plan your shopping and meals ahead.
-Buy the best protein foods you can afford.
-Cook extra for dinners and use the leftovers for breakfast and lunches.
-Throw out or give away all the carby foods you KNOW you can't resist.
-Realize that LC is a chemical change in the way your body processes food. If you give it carbs, it will go back to storing fat and you CANNOT fool your liver into not recognizing a carb is a carb is a carb.

All the best.

:wave:

nikkil
Tue, Jan-28-03, 03:03
In DANDR (page 129) it does say that you should only have up to 3 ounces of unsweetened heavy cream. Just thought I'd point that out... :)

tofi
Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:53
Quite right, Nikkil. Cream IS limited on Induction to just the few ounces.

:wave:

sueco_94
Wed, Jan-29-03, 08:56
Thanks for the help. I am following that and the Atkins book.

One has recommended to me that I concentrate on more fatty food during induction than protein. What exactly might that mean.

Last night I had baked chicken with mayonnaise. I also had tuna fish with mayo, a small salad of lettuce, vinegar and olive oil. I had eggs and bacon for breakfast.

How important is the salad and how large can it be during induction?

freydis
Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:01
2 cups fresh low-carb vegies/day
1 cup cooked low-carb vegies/day

They are important for your health and your gastric system.

If you are already ok with mayonnaise and other fatty foods, then you're probably doing well enough with fats. Target at least 65% daily fats. That's part of how this diet works.

If you get a chance to read the book or look at the website for your diet plan, those are useful pieces of information, too.

Good luck and congrats for your new way of life! :wave:

sueco_94
Fri, Jan-31-03, 11:13
Thanks for all of the help. It's been five days and I feel very good. I do not feel bloated and I am free of nasal congestion.

I have been drinking a lot of water ~ a gallon a day. I also have gone to the Y three times this week to walk on the treadmill and listen to my CD. It's been going well.

Yesterday, I had a swiss cheese and mushroom omellete with bacon. I read that mushrooms count as low carb veggies. I also have a very small (one cup of lettuce) salad with real mayo. I do not trust other salad dressings because of sugars.

Anyone, know of a preferred salad dressing that is low carb and no sugar? Bleu cheese?

Any experience with sour cream on steak? Is it permissible during induction?

Thanks,
Sueco

RCFletcher
Fri, Jan-31-03, 14:28
Hi Sueco!

salad dressing:

1 measure of fresh lemon juice,
1 measure of vinegar (apple/cider is best)
2 measures of oil (olive)
a little mustard
a little artificial sweetner
2 measures water

mix together.

delicious, very low carb and cheap.

Watch the sour cream - it does have some carbs.

Good luck

Robert

sueco_94
Fri, Jan-31-03, 15:03
Thanks for the help.

lkonzelman
Fri, Jan-31-03, 15:28
For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

The most common high fat allowable dressings are caesar, ranch and blue cheese. Read the labels and if it is under 2 carbs per TBS is should be fine.

Learn to enjoy your food!

SarahO
Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:41
Hi Sueco, I have looked at a lot of salad dressing labels and they all seem to have at least some sugar, except "diet" salad dressings which are usually way too high in carb for us. So if you are being really strict, make your own salad dressing for home, and order oil and vinegar in a restaurant. Or if you aren't being obssessive about sugar (not obsessing is a good thing :) ) you can get ranch or blue cheese and just eat a couple of tablespoons.

I know that Atkins says to only eat 3 cups of vegetables total, but personally I think that salad greens are so low in, well everything, that I can't imagine eating too many carbs because of salad. So I always have a liberal amount of salad greens & count the other vegetables more carefully.

--Sarah

lkonzelman
Sat, Feb-01-03, 18:09
I completely agree with Sarah.

sueco_94
Sat, Feb-01-03, 19:02
Thank you very much for all of your assistance. I will head to the grocery store tomorrow to get the ingredients for the dressing. Iincluded a half cup of sauerkraut for lunch today mixed with bacon. I also ate some grilled chicken breast (buttered nicely) and took a risk with a 5 inch kielbasa that seemed to be mostly meat. I am aware of how some sausages have fillers, but I think that I was safe in this case.

I am down to a morning cup of coffee (black) and a decaf cup with each of my other meals. I no longer put any sweetener in.

I am feeling very good, not bloated, not hungry, and no acid eflux like before.

lkonzelman
Sat, Feb-01-03, 22:04
Besides counting the carbs for coffee/decaf remember that they are diaretics and you need to drink EXTRA water to complensate.

You are doing great though....

sueco_94
Sun, Feb-02-03, 15:06
I have a question. I read in DANDR that a 1/2 cup of spinach (cooked) carries with it 4 grams of carbs.

I'd like to supplement my salad by eating one cup of spinach at 8 grams of carbs. Is there any problem with this as long as I stay within 20 grams alloted for my daily intake?

Thanks,

Sueco

lkonzelman
Mon, Feb-03-03, 12:01
I think that is fine. The 20 carbs being utilized as veggies is perfect.

There are usually a few daily extra carbs if you eat everything the way induction specifies. The extra for most people is to allow for packets of artificial sweetners, dressings, cheese, coffee/tea and such.

I think you eating healthy and filling up the right way is most awesome.

Also, choosing natural fiber is great to get rid of weight. ;)

sueco_94
Thu, Feb-06-03, 13:49
I am on my eleventh day of Atkins' induction and I just measured my ketones for the first time. I only marked slight pink on the ketostick--close to a trace.

Am I doing something wrong?

I feel very good and my jacket is roomier slightly.

I have not weighed myself since eleven days ago because I wanted to wait until the end of the two weeks.

Any ideas?

lkonzelman
Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:05
If the sticks show even the slightest color you are in ketosis. The darker usually means you aren't drinking enough water. So relax... obviously you are doing well because you can feel it in your clothes.

sueco_94
Fri, Feb-07-03, 16:29
Thanks for the tips about ketosis. I have relaxed and have kept up on my program, feeling well.

My question of the day is: Is one Atkins Bar acceptable to eat while on the induction diet? I have heard different opinions about this and would appreciate any comments.

Many thanks again. Steak tonight!

lkonzelman
Sun, Feb-09-03, 15:55
I find that malitol (sugar alcohols an ingredient of most bars) stall my loss but some people don't have issues with it.

If you have no other option then occassionally have them and see if you still lose. If you do... God Bless and enjoy if not then remove them as your first course of action.

Of course real food IS ALWAYS BETTER.

sueco_94
Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:24
Thanks for the advice.

I weighed in last night for the first time since I started the Atkins diet. I find it hard to believe but I have dropped twenty pounds! I used the same scale as before. It reads 280 lbs. Is this possible? I am ecstatic and suspicious.

I feel very good. I also can feel it in my clothes! It's tremendous!

lkonzelman
Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:46
Twenty Lbs is AWESOME!!!!!!

eska
Thu, Feb-13-03, 12:10
how inspirational sueco!!! excellent!