PDA

View Full Version : i think I bragged prematurely

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lewalo
Wed, Jan-22-03, 22:33
Three weeks ago I was bragging because I had lost 11 pounds after a week and a half on Atkins. Oooops, shouldn't a done that. I gained back 4 in a couple days and have been at 300 for almost 3 weeks. I average 2015 cals, 152 fat, 135 protien and 22 carb per day. I am a type II diabetic and take Glyburide, Maxide a Paxil all of which are working against me regarding weight loss. My bp has been very good since starting Atkins and my bg ranges fron 82 to 115. I don't think I am ready to drop any of my medicines and feel it is premature to seek medical advice to change meds. I am entirely confident I will start seeing some weight loss but it is starting to tick me off a little. Any advice? :confused: :confused: :confused: :wave:

kjturner
Thu, Jan-23-03, 00:14
Yikes! Are you *sure* you don't want to ask your doc to rethink what you are taking? Glyburide increases the amount of insulin you have=weight gain. Maxide raises blood sugar (thiazide diuretic) Paxil also has weight gain as a side effect. Question: why doesn't your doc have you on an ACE inhibitor? ACE inhibitor (for blood pressure) will actually protect your kidneys. I *might* understand the Glyburide (as I was also on a sulfonylurea temporarily) but was also on Glucophage XR (reduces insulin resistance) at the same time. Why aren't you also on Glucophage? The whole goal here of low carbing is to REDUCE your body's need for more insulin. "If I were you" I'd question the doc regarding whether he just wants to keep your blood sugar under control, or whether he's interested in helping you 'get better'. I've 'been there done that' with my doc. He's not happy that I'm questioning him, but I want OFF my meds. I've *greatly* reduced my need for antidiabetic drugs and I was able to successfully ward him off on cholesteral lowering drugs by improving my cholesteral (by eating more fat!). My blood pressure is the only thing that hasn't improved much, but I am confident it too will come in line as I'm able to get this under better control. When I stopped taking the thiazide diuretic I told him I was willing to accept some potential risk in order to be able to lose weight again.
But that's just my opinion.....

lewalo
Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:40
Besides the Maxide I also take atenolol and prinivil. It is the only combination we could find that would regulate my blood pressure and it is the maxide that did the trick. I reduced the maxide dosage to 1/2 tablet on my own today to see what effect it will have. I will monitor it closely. I haven't seen the doctor since I started
atkins and have an appointment for my annual physical in 2 months. I will talk to him then unless something comes up before then. I must tell you that this is the second time I have asked for help since starting Atkins and both times when I weighed the day after posting my weight was down. I was down 4 pounds today. Go figure. Maybe I should whine and complain more often.

Thanks again for your support, it is appreciated.

I forgot to post my weight change today I am down to 296.

Leo

kjturner
Fri, Jan-24-03, 00:26
The good thing about this WOE is all of your numbers will start to come down. Occasionally some folks will actually get temporary increases in some numbers, such as cholesteral, but by sticking with the program the numbers will turn around. My cholesteral didn't really change much for nearly a year, then I got a sudden 33 point drop in LDL and now I'm down to nearly normal on total cholesteral numbers. My blood pressure hasn't moved either and just today I went to an alternative medicine doctor (chiropractor/kineseologist) and he did some extensive checking (using kineseology) and determined my cortisol levels were what were affecting my BP. Which makes perfect sense. He recommended a natural supplement which should help bring the cortisol back in line. I'll get started on that (when the UPS guy delivers it) and see what it does. My doc wants me to add a calcium channel blocker to my ACE inhibitor, but I'm reluctant. I'll give the cortisol thing a try first. I stuck to my guns about not taking statins for my cholesteral and I'm glad I did. I also got stubborn about the sulfonylurea and insisted I come off that and I'm glad I did that too. Now my BG numbers are on the threshold of non-diabetic and on 1/2 dose of my Glucophage! I'm sure that, in time, I'll be able to manage this without the meds.

lewalo
Fri, Jan-24-03, 22:24
congrats. Youve done well on the program. It is a slow tedious process but it does pay off as you are proving. What I lack in patience has been made up for in appetite which is why I'm in the mess I am now. You are an inspiration and I appreciate your assistance.

Leo

kjturner
Tue, Jan-28-03, 00:14
Hey, Leo, I've BTDT too. I truly thought I could beat the diabetes thing in just a couple of months by low carbing. I now know I've got to give myself time to heal as well. Just like I didn't gain all of this weight overnight, I'm not going to heal the diabetes overnight either. I've got to give my body time to recuperate from the years of eating wrongly. Since I've now accepted the fact that I shall have to eat this way the rest of my life I can now be patient. I no longer obsess with the scales, I will weigh myself perhaps once a week or so. But I've noticed that whenever I treat myself to new clothes I'm having to select from smaller and smaller clothes. *That's* what's important!
Getting myself off those meds is the next most important thing for me, and I'm making progress. My latest A1c said I was at 6.0--on the threshold of non-diabetic! AND on 1/2 my Glucophage!! (No, I didn't tell my doc I'd lowered the meds on my own)