PDA

View Full Version : CM Carbs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Atkid
Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:48
Do the CM's have a carb limit? What carb number should we be aiming for as our maximum for a CM?

quikdeb
Tue, Jan-21-03, 20:52
I cannot answer this for you, but I hope someone does. I'm still waiting for my books and this is a question I was wondering about.

Someone.....help us both!

Deb

JoaniePA
Wed, Jan-22-03, 07:50
I believe that you should be sticking around 4 carbs per CM. The idea is to stay low enough that the insulin production mechanism in your body comes to expect low carbs when the reward meal comes and therefore doesn't overproduce insulin.

Joanie

slimmin
Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:27
what Joanie said ... 4 carbs/meal

luv67fire
Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:52
Hmmm... maybe I read my book wrong, but I could have swore it was nothing in your meal could be above 4 carbs (with the exception of sauces/dressings which cannot be above 2 carbs).

I am at work, so I can't check my book, but that has always been my understanding.

Zul, where are you, hon? Lol, we need you on this one!

alicia50
Wed, Jan-22-03, 18:21
I agree with Luv67fire that's the way I interpreted what

I read in the CAD book and that's what I have been eating

by.

mommy2Nick
Thu, Jan-30-03, 23:21
So, if I understand correctly when you say nothing in your meal can be over 4, means that you can have multiple items, as long as they individually stay under 4??? That doesn't sound right.....I must be picking you up wrong???? :(

They have in the back of the CAD book, recipes for low carb CM meals like french toast and waffles....so if each waffle were 2 carbs, and you used Davinci syrup with 0 carbs....you could have that as a meal??? ( or only as long as you had only 2, to equal 4 carbs for the whole meal????)
I am sorry to be so confusing, I guess I am not asking this very clearly....does anyone understand what I am getting at??? :confused:
I just started reading the CAD book today, and couldn't put it down!!! I have gotten through 1/2 of it and am very psyched about switching from Atkins!! This is what I have been looking for!!! If it works, I really think that I could stick to this for life without feeling deprived!!!!
Thanks in advance for your help!!
mommy

luv67fire
Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:23
Well, how I've been doing it, and how I interpreted it from the book, is that if those pancakes have 2 grams and you have three, it is ok because the pancakes were under 4 grams of carbs. Any condiments, syrups, etc have to be under 2 grams though.

One of the reasons why I think it is not just 4 grams per CM, is because that is pretty hard to do. Even a salad has close to 4 grams and then if you have meat than has one or two you're over. So in order to have ONLY 4grams you'd have to eat very little of whatever you're having.

Either way, even if it is 4 grams total, I have been losing weight doing it the other way (keeping all the food under 4 grams, instead of the entire meal).

Does anyone know where Zul is at? I haven't seen her much on the boards lately!

JoaniePA
Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:26
On the other hand, I usually have less than 4 carbs per CM. Rarely have a vegie other than a salad at lunch, meat is 0 carbs.

Probably you've gotta try things out and see what works for you.

Joanie

Vel
Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:36
Is that you should chose foods that are under 4g of carb per serving.. but they must be foods that are on the allowed list for CM's, so basically protein and veggies only. In the CALP book they say that you start out with one average serving of protein and veggies and if you want more, go ahead and have it. I think the main thing is that you avoid all high-carb foods.

Tracy

quikdeb
Fri, Jan-31-03, 12:09
I thought our CM meals were supposed to be 1-2 cups of approved veggies and 4-6 oz. of meat. I don't think we're going to stray too far from 4grs. anyway, but when I read the book I understood it to read that each item could not be a food with more than 4gr. I didn't understand it to mean a 4 gr. meal total.

Just my 2 cents....

Deb

skyspinner
Fri, Jan-31-03, 17:36
In every one of their books, the Hellers have provided a list that they describe as (and I quote from page 132 of CAHHP) "all foods that are low in carbohydrate and less likely to cause an insulin release".

They go on to say "Any food that does not appear on this list should be considered to be a high-carbohydrate food and must be saved for your daily Reward Meal".

That's it. No calculations of carbs, no looking foods up in a chart, no counting on your fingers...just follow the list they have given you.

:)

quikdeb
Fri, Jan-31-03, 19:21
That's how I understand it too, Skyspinner. I thought the beauty of this whole plan was the simplicity. Follow the lists--bye-bye fat. Maybe it's so easy it's too hard to believe. :)

Deb

skyspinner
Fri, Jan-31-03, 19:52
It's hard only when we make it so..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

mommy2Nick
Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:56
Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!

I feel better now, I am so used to counting something (points, carbs, fat, calories!!!!) that it DID seem too easy!!

Why do I always have to complicate everything!!
You are a lifesaver!!

mommy2nick