PDA

View Full Version : 110 down, 25 to go.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ColbyJax
Tue, Jan-14-03, 11:23
This is an old message. Some of you may already know, but this is my second attempt at losing weight. This time, I am keeping it off... I'll leave it here though so you can see how I did it the first time....

`````````````````````````````````

My name is Bruce, and I am from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I've lost 110 pounds since last February. As you can tell, Atkins has changed my life. I have 25 more to go, but I'm fairly happy so far....

Here's a picture of my progression

RobinTX
Tue, Jan-14-03, 15:34
Your results are unbelievable!! You look wonderful and happy. Your before and afters look like two totally different people. Congratulations to you - what an inspiration!!!

Robin :wave:

McRumi
Tue, Jan-14-03, 17:05
Bruce,
Your achievement is way awesome.
Any interesting stories or tips you can share?
Thanks for the inspiration.
Mark

TeriDoodle
Tue, Jan-14-03, 17:07
Bruce..... you look WONDERFUL!!! That before picture is really revealing, isn't it?.... sad look with crutch in hand. And then look at the "afters"!!!!! You are awesome, dude!!! You must have really worked hard! Congratulations, my friend, and thank you so much for posting your pictures! :D :thup:

ColbyJax
Wed, Jan-15-03, 05:41
Thanks very much everyone :)

I posted my personal method for the diet in my Journal. Doesn't seem to be linked to me yet.

I started this whole thing because I was tired of being alone. Valentines day last year was day 1. It took more will-power then anything, but I think the biggest hurdle was the weight loss itself. Once I learned how to lose weight, and how different if felt, it became easy.

You know what they say, it's a lifestyle change. Thats the way you have to do things. If you think about it, one or two pounds a week is a perfect loss. 8 pounds a month = 80 pounds every 10 months. Not bad if you ask me.

My brother actually felt that was too slow, and stopped the diet. He didn't look at the long term. Don't make the same mistake.

My new goal is abs by August ;)

DWRolfe
Wed, Jan-15-03, 10:01
Awesome! You look great! Congratulations! I know how much better you feel...

Your pix just brightened my day!

As far as the rate of loss...aren't you glad you did it at a slow and steady rate? To fast = loose skin. Eeeewwww...

I'm down 105+ in a year. It's the greatest feeling...

Rock on!

Donald :wave:

babette
Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:52
What an inspiration you are!

:thup:

Titania28
Wed, Jan-15-03, 23:21
Your smile in that picture says it all!! Congratulations, you look incredible! ;)

Titania

Kristine
Thu, Jan-16-03, 17:37
WOW!! Bruce, that doesn't even look like pictures of the same person!! :thup: :thup: You must feel great!

So... Valentines Day is coming up again. :rheart: I bet you'll have a lady to spend it with this time! ;) You look really confident and radiant; girls like that. ;)

pbastian
Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:44
What a transformation! You are truly an inspiration to those of us just starting down this road - Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts.
Pat

Pokey
Fri, Jan-17-03, 10:05
Bruce you look awesome. :clap: Ya little Hotty you!! :blush: LOL
You looked so sad in the before pix but now soooo happy. I cant wait to get to that point.
Good for you!
Toodles, :wave:

Bonnie
Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:31
You look fantastic :thup: and heh a Maritimer to boot :lol: :lol: were ya just jamming in the pic or do you belong to a band :q: if so what is the name ...hubby and son play in SVT from Fredericton ... thought if you play in any of the clubs or pubs in Halifax might be able to catch you sometime when we are down... ;) way to go on the great achievement :thup: ...B

alibubble
Fri, Jan-17-03, 16:34
Hi Bruce,

Bet the ladies are queuing up for you this Valentines !!!
Including me...you're gorgeous.....ok so I'm a little older than you but I'm allowed to dream !!

Well done you
Ali

liz175
Sat, Jan-18-03, 08:57
Bruce,

You look so wonderfully happy; it's an inspiration to us all! Thanks for posting your pictures and your story.

ColbyJax
Sat, Jan-18-03, 10:16
Hehe, thanks everyone....

Bonnie, my band is called Merimac, and we play all the pubs and bars downtown. (Fife and Drum, Alehouse, Splitcrow...etc)

http://merimac.compactaudio.net

One of the many things I've done over the past year...hehe

:)

Bonnie
Sat, Jan-18-03, 12:15
Originally posted by ColbyJax
Hehe, thanks everyone....

Bonnie, my band is called Merimac, and we play all the pubs and bars downtown. (Fife and Drum, Alehouse, Splitcrow...etc)

http://merimac.compactaudio.net

One of the many things I've done over the past year...hehe

I will check out your site :thup: any reason for this specific name :q: just asking cause my last name is Merriam ;) and is a Nova Scotia seafaring name from down shore...Parrsboro...Port Greville area...( lot's of Fillmore's from there, aren't related to Brian are ya?)...all hubby's male relatives were seafaring folks back when mastering and sailing Schooners were the main source of employment in that area...great Museum dedicated to this WOL in PG, NS...SVT is playing a benefit tonight at Dolan's Pub in Fredericton along with lot's of local talent...the proceeds go towards a music schlorship in memory of Bill MaCulley (died at a young age of diabetes)...excellent keyboard player...you may have heard of him...played keyboards for Rita McNeill for awhile and am sure played in clubs in your area along with Dave Gallant who is also a musician in your area originally from Fredericton...anyhoo enough of the history lesson and musician talk :D .. you are doing fantastic :thup: will look forward to reading future posts...B

CanadianT
Sat, Jan-18-03, 17:37
Way to go Colby! I really wish i could see your before and after pics, but for some reason, my puter won't let me :( :( :( OH well, keep up the good work and Play ON!!!!

Toni :wave:

ColbyJax
Sun, Jan-19-03, 10:07
Thanks again for the nice replies ;)

Yeah, I know Brian. He's my father ;)

I go up to PG all the time. Everyone up there had no idea it was me the last time I was up, because I lost so much weight. Amazing how small the world is :)

Bruce

Bonnie
Sun, Jan-19-03, 11:37
Thanks again for the nice replies ;)

Yeah, I know Brian. He's my father ;)

I go up to PG all the time. Everyone up there had no idea it was me the last time I was up, because I lost so much weight. Amazing how small the world is :)

Bruce

I showed hubby your pic and he remarked how much you resembled your Dad before we knew for sure you were related :) I am sure you are aware your grandmother Fern's mother was a Merriam...according to hubby a sister to his grandfather Merriam..we were to PG a couple of summmers ago where we talked briefly to your dad ...he was having a yard sale... we were visiting with another couple showing them PG and surroundings.... who would have thunk LC would have made PG seem such a small world :D by the way hubby and I have been following LC since Dec '99 and he has lost over 50 lbs...If you remember his dad Dick he was built just like him but is now very svelte....... hope to catch you play sometime we are in Halifax area :thup: B

ColbyJax
Sun, Jan-19-03, 22:50
I know many Merriam's. Donna comes to the house all the time. I'm sure somehow we are related. :)

So far, I've lost 110 pounds, and my brothers have lost 50+ each. Seems this diet is the lost secret for my family. I've gotten close to 30 people on this diet so far. I was told I was an idiot in the beginning.

Dad has onset diabetes, and I was told I was going to get it too, so this was the answer. Now I have a clean bill of heath. :)

Bonnie
Mon, Jan-20-03, 05:35
I know many Merriam's. Donna comes to the house all the time. I'm sure somehow we are related. :)

So far, I've lost 110 pounds, and my brothers have lost 50+ each. Seems this diet is the lost secret for my family. I've gotten close to 30 people on this diet so far. I was told I was an idiot in the beginning.

Dad has onset diabetes, and I was told I was going to get it too, so this was the answer. Now I have a clean bill of heath. :)

:wave: Bruce...so great this WOL is working for you all :thup: diabetes runs in hubby's family as well...that and heart disease :( ...isn't it amazing how this WOL seems to have a domino effect....many folks have questioned us both after seeing our postive results and have started LCarbing...next time your down home and see Donna say hi for us :wave: B

deze
Thu, Jan-23-03, 00:05
You look great!

You deserve all the compliments you are getting, I am sure it shows in your music as well, nice to reveal who you really are, isnt it!!

cheers, from the other side of canada

jodi

ColbyJax
Thu, Jan-23-03, 06:44
Thank you :)

digwig
Tue, Jan-28-03, 22:43
Hey Bruce,

We have almost the same low-carb anniversary. I started on the day after Valentine's Day, last year (I wanted the chocolate, sue me). So far I'm down approximately 70 lbs (I just ditched ye-olde scale when I started a weight-lifting program) in a year.

It's so true what you said about small losses adding up over time. I wish more people wouldn't give up because they didn't like their rate of loss. I've had months where I've lost nothing and months where I've lost 10lbs. If I hadn't stuck with the program (which I HAVE to, because the alternative will kill me dead) I wouldn't be here now, wearing a size I haven't worn for more than 10 years.

Congratulations. A great smile and a guitar? You must be beating them off with a stick. Have fun and enjoy yourself, you've earned it.

Ciao, Lisa

lesleyc
Thu, Jan-30-03, 14:13
Colby...congrats...what awesome results!

You look amazing! You are a real pin up Boy for this WOL!

Lesley

Ruralgurl
Thu, Jan-30-03, 14:39
Bruce you look fabulous darling! Way to go and sticking with low-carb when your brothers were giving it up! It sure isn't easy.
I'll bet you are an inspiration to those around you and I hope your Dad sees your success and gives it a try too. (with docs assistance).

By the way you no longer resemble a Bare Naked Lady but you'll have plenty chasing you! ;)

Gonna try and listen to some sound bites thanks.

dankar
Thu, Jan-30-03, 15:13
Bruce,
Congratulations on your magnificent achievement. Your results are awesome. Way to go!!!!!!!

Dan

xBaByGrLx
Fri, Jan-31-03, 03:58
wow, i would like to congratulate u on the weight loss.. you look great. you are truly an inspiration!!!!!!

Miss Melis
Fri, Jan-31-03, 23:03
....... CJax....

WOW.... how wonderful for you!!!

I guess you won't be alone this Valentine's Day!!! :rheart:

I will click on your picture often... it makes me smile and it reminds me there is a light at the end of this LC rainbow!!!!

Thank you! :wave:

M-

LittleAnne
Mon, Feb-03-03, 13:03
Hi Bruce

Congratulations on your weight loss, you have done so well and in under a year. Your photos are great and you show how much things can change with a bit of perservance.

As you say, it is not the speed of loss that counts, but the fact that it keeps on coming with time. Your posts reflect a lovely personality too. May this Valentines day be a great day for you.

It is interesting how people do get fixated on how quickly they can loose weight, so much depends upon your own metabolism and I hope to make 50 pounds in 19 months. Slow, but consistent and it is paying off.

All the best to you and your band.

Texasgal
Mon, Feb-03-03, 20:57
WOW! You look amazing! I thought you were quite handsom before, but now....WOW! I Love your smile! ;) You really look great! :thup:

Isn't it funny how once you start a diet that no one thinks is healthy they tell you it is so bad for you! But once that weight comes off, they all come back for questions. I had the same thing happen to me. I got it all..."you know this diet is so bad for you"..."this diet can make your kidneys fail"..."this diet wont work"...HAHAHAH, well all these people are now on this diet. After seeing the weight come off of me, they had to try it. I think I have gotten about 5 people on the diet. Keep it up!

Kandi

gingertea
Tue, Feb-04-03, 17:40
Wow, Bruce, you look fantastic. What a great success story. Thanks for inspiring me. :dazzle:

ColbyJax
Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:14
Thanks for the extremely nice comments :) You made me blush ;)

There is a bad side to losing weight too you know. I hope you don't mind being broke. I've spent too much money on new clothes. Not to mention that girlfriends are a bad financial investment as well ;) (Just kidding, it's worth it!) hehe

Bonnie
Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:20
Thanks for the extremely nice comments :) You made me blush ;)

There is a bad side to losing weight too you know. I hope you don't mind being broke. I've spent too much money on new clothes. Not to mention that girlfriends are a bad financial investment as well ;) (Just kidding, it's worth it!) hehe

:lol: :lol: with all of the above just think long term investment ;) .B

iseeku
Wed, Feb-05-03, 16:58
I will think of you when I want sugar!!!! I hope to achieve the same results.

I will be posting before and after too....I have a pic from summer before last that simply HORRIFIES me!!!!!

You look AWESOME Bruce!!!!!

Netters
Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:12
What a great smile, your face radiates energy and well being. GREAT job sticking to your plan, and I love what you said about not seeing weight loss as slow ... it is the long term vision that's important. I'm glad I read your success story, it's motivational, inspirational, and other kinds of "ational" things I can't think of right now. =D

MarieC
Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:58
Wow!
Wonderful!
Sensational!
Awsome!

HerbNurse
Thu, Feb-06-03, 20:21
:wave: Bruce, you look fantastic!!

You are an inspiration to us all, way to go. :thup:

HN

ChromeDome
Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:15
Bruce:

I can't get over the transformation, I've just started this WOE and it's so reassuring to see the results of someone who was close to my start and has a similar goal. Your experience just reaffirms my LC Motto "Slow and steady wins the race!"

Well I'm gonna go read through your journal and see how you did it. Thanks for showing me it can be done. I know I'll be able to post the same kind of staggering results NEXT February.

LUNABABY
Wed, Feb-19-03, 14:21

Hey Bruce! You look really really good! You must feel like a million bucks!

PoofieD
Thu, Feb-20-03, 19:20
Your a major cutie.. :wave:
And what energy this must have given you for that band!
too cool!
Nedra

ColbyJax
Fri, Feb-28-03, 06:59
Thanks ... hehe

New update:

Atkins cookies and cream bars taste better than most real chocolate bars. I couldn't believe it. (Maybe I just forget what the real ones taste like, but hey!)

UAGirl
Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:44
Whoah!! I just decided to come in and check out the success stories area.

Holy Crap to say the least!!

You've done a fantastic job at changing your life for the better. Your very inspiring!! :D

slack32
Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:15
You rock! Way to go! You are truly an inspiration!

orzabelle
Wed, Apr-09-03, 09:57
Hubba hubba! You look sooo handsome! Congratulations!

do21little
Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:35
Wow!!!!! That is amazing!! Great job and keep it up!!!You look hot!! :daze:

srd0821
Wed, Apr-16-03, 20:03
great pics...thanks for the inspiration and motivation!!!!!!!!!!! You look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shannon's fitday (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=srd0821)

SummerYet
Wed, Apr-23-03, 21:41
I will add my 2 cents to the rest...

Way to go! :thup:

And you are DEFINATELY a hottie!! ;)

~Michelle

ColbyJax
Thu, Apr-24-03, 11:00
:o

chemlady
Wed, Apr-30-03, 07:28
I know im late saying this but you must be a major babe magnet...who hoo hottie over here ...........

Enjoy your success...you deserve it...

Laurie

mystery2u
Wed, Apr-30-03, 07:39
Chemlady,

You'are not doing to bad yourself!! Congrad to all!!

jeanyyy
Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:28
Colby, I just had to chime in with my congrats, too!! You look awesome, you made this WOL your own!! But... even better... your band is *AWESOME* - I'm listening as I type, 3rd song now.. and chair dancing!! hehehe... I'm very impressed!! :D

Maybe I should get up and reap the benefit of the movement, but I'm supposed to be working!! lol

STALLQUEEN
Mon, May-05-03, 14:14
Wow,

You look amazing !

Good for you. I have 25 lbs more to lose to be happy. I am losing
painfully slow.

Any tips for us.

Getting as bit discouraged

flangee
Fri, May-09-03, 15:31
Dude you look completly different! you look like you lost a whole person... a sad one! you look happy, confident and well Hot! ;)

Keep it up and I bet your bro is kikin his but for not staying on the WOL with you!

STALLQUEEN
Fri, May-30-03, 07:36
YOUR HOT !!!!!!!

thininBC
Fri, May-30-03, 13:51
If I wasn't already married to the sexiest man on earth you would be next on my list :) (just kidding). No, seriously, you look so AWESOME!!!!!! Be very proud of yourself and your success!

cinner76
Sat, May-31-03, 21:49
Wow, you look amazing... you truly are an inspiration to us all...Great Job!!!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Dewdropt
Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:50
Wow you are really hot, if you don't mind me saying so.

Yesican
Mon, Jun-02-03, 08:40
I just strolled in here to take a peek and...WOW!

I am very happy for you!

suntanlove
Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:40
I am from Halifax but live in Moncton now.you look great.I am starting my 7th week and lost 13 pounds so far and have 52 to go.You are an inspiration to all of us.Thanks from one Maritimer to another

mslizzie
Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:52
You're an INSPIRATION!!

Dustin
Mon, Jul-21-03, 19:10
You look great! I can't wait to hit my target weight I will be so excited!

gumdrop
Thu, Jul-24-03, 04:41
Absolutely Amazing!

amy576
Sun, Aug-03-03, 10:35
You look AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

:cheer:

~Amy

Baynester
Thu, Aug-14-03, 07:55
Bruce,

You'v done such a great job! I just went to your band website and listened to one of your songs. You sound great! Well, your whole band sounds great. Have you made a CD yet?

Anyway, congrats again on your loss. I just hit 30lbs today. I'm in the 30lb club now, but can't find any little signs or symbols that say "30 pound club." :rolleyes:

Well, have a great day!

Reina :roll: :angel: :yay:

Wenzday
Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:38
congrats! and yes... you are gorgeous and deserve it!

kamikaze
Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:53
You look great! Congrats on your accomplishment!

BelmontLil
Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:11
I just came to this forum to find some encouragement, yours was the first post I opened and thats all I needed to see/read.

I seem to be having a hard time of it. But you are so right! 8lbs per month = 80 in 10 months.

You picture especially struck me because I was on crutches not that long ago which led to my physical downfall ....

Thank you for sharing. I hope one day I can post similar pictures!

Isiar
Sat, Aug-23-03, 09:59
Guapo!
You look really good! Thank you for share.
Very inspirational!
Isiar

kimnq4eva
Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:11
Bruce, You inspire me---I am speechless.
God Bless You

armywife3
Sun, Aug-31-03, 00:17
What a hottie!! You look unbelievable. You are such an inspiration.

Charlif761
Mon, Sep-01-03, 09:54
MAN! I am truly Speeachless...and my friends would all tell you that that is a virtual impossibility (Me=motormouth)!!!! WOW! WHat a fantastic job and what an inspiration. If there was an Atkins Award, you would definitely have one hanging on the wall. And, you are a dollbaby! Can't wait till people are telling me I am a hotty again! :)

Hugs,
Char

BellaMafia
Thu, Sep-04-03, 19:25
the reason you decided to start this WOL is sad but it has all worked out for the better. You look great!!

Ilovemykid
Sun, Sep-14-03, 10:57
WOW GREAT JOB!!!! Your photos are just outstanding! Thanks for the encouragement, can't wait to read your journal and get some tips from you!

God bless,
April

dawnie30
Fri, Jan-09-04, 20:20
You look incredible. Truly inspiring.

146pounds
Sun, Jul-04-04, 21:26
I can't wait to watch you on the show "Taking it off." You really need to show everyone out there that's a sceptic what this WOE is all about. They'll probably freak out once they find out that you've lost 10 pounds after the first week. Make us Low Carbers proud, and don't forget to represent us Canadian's too! Happy trails!

patricia1
Thu, Jul-08-04, 08:26
Hi , New member here! Thank you for sharing your success with the rest of us! You are truly an inspiration! You look really hot!

ColbyJax
Thu, Jul-22-04, 06:40

Yosie
Mon, Jul-26-04, 21:03
Wow, you look great! congrats!, I'm a newie and just started a day ago and i have been working out even before low carb lifestyle and i plan to up my days from 3 times a week to 4 days, and i hope my progress is a good as yours,,,wow keep it up handsome!

Rachelle
Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:10
I can't believe i've never seen this picture before!! you have made such a transformation... and it's amazing...

It sounds like an echo in here... Um.. can we say you are hot?? You are :)

DiannaH
Fri, Aug-20-04, 00:15
Wow! What an amazing change! Congrats on your weight loss success, and thanks for posting your inspiring photos!

Dianna

NixCarbos
Mon, Mar-26-07, 16:44
Ive seen you on "taking it off".

che
Sat, Aug-29-09, 18:44
How's life been since you lost weight?
Have all the changes been positive?
Other than congratulating you, in the long term or after the initial shock, how have ppl reacted to your transformation?
Have your friendships remained the same?